Home Metal Detecting
Options

How long to learn basics?

If I rented a halfway decent detector (doesn't look promising) would I be able to figure it out in 2 days?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't waste money renting. Buy yourself a Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540. If you don't like it, you can resell it for less of a loss than it will cost you to rent an inferior machine such as a Garrett Ace.

You should be able to start finding coins right away. It won't take you two days to learn how to do that, although you will need more experience to consistently find deep coins and masked coins. By deep, I mean more than six inches deep.

If you get a good signal, turn 90 degrees and see if you still get a good signal while swinging perpendicular to your original swing. If so, you want to dig. If not, you are probably hearing iron junk.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

happy hunting and enjoy it :)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metal detecting is pretty addictive - Have fum!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Bayard1908 .... Buy a good machine... You will quickly learn it and there are video's to assist you. Renting is throwing your money away. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Icollecteverything I suggest you see if there is a metal detecting club in your area. I'm sure an experienced detectorist would show you the potential of a good machine. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Thanks all for the tips and encouragement.

I did a little looking at the Minelab Vanquish models and they were cheaper than I expected. I can see why renting doesn't make much sense and I couldn't find much in the area. Do I need any of the accessories when I first start or can I wait on that? I was just planning a search on my property which the previous owner says was a potato farm in the 1850's. I have 14 acres with some stone walls and other interesting sites. But there was lots of action near here going back to the 1600's.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options

You will need a digging tool, you should also get a pinpointer. And an apron pouch to put your finds in as you search. Good luck... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Icollecteverything and kneepads and bugs pray. While your doing the fields, keep an eye out for arrow heads. Have fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2021 10:56AM

I got my first detector in 1988.

Still learning.

tip #1:

Dig everything.

A club that I used to belong to accused me of cheating, one month I showed a 1/2 cent, the next a two cent piece.

They had detected for years and never found one.

Reply: You'll never find one at the beach.

[Side note: I had found a school built pre-Civil War. They even had a monument to students who had been in the Civil War.]

Tip #2:

Especially dig those deep bottle cap signals.
    Two cent pieces ring in as bottle caps. No idea why.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    @Icollecteverything and kneepads and bugs pray. While your doing the fields, keep an eye out for arrow heads. Have fun. Peace Roy

Who are they praying to and why?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flux said:

Who are they praying to and why?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston.... I have only seen green Praying Mantis..... Interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most common praying mantis color is green, but it can range from brownish colors and tones to camouflage its body among its environment.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date