Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Next Mild Itch To Scratch, 1922 Lincoln No "D"

MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

Here's where I'm at now, I've been looking at a few Lincoln 22 no "D" this is one of those coins that to me doesn't have to be a high grade, just a nice example of one to have in my coin album, that means that those $10,000 & $27,000 are nice eye candy but they're not in the realm of a reality for me, especially this coin.
Some members here was a big help in me getting my 55 ODD, so I thought heck, why not give it another shot and see what turns up.
There is a couple that the Penny Lady has that I've been looking at and I have these two sellers booked marked already.
Penny Lady &
Angel Dee's
As always, thanks for your help!
Mark

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
Thomas Jefferson!

Comments

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two, PCGS VF-25 and PCGS F-12. Let me know if you would like photos and prices.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkW63 said:
    Here's where I'm at now, I've been looking at a few Lincoln 22 no "D" this is one of those coins that to me doesn't have to be a high grade, just a nice example of one to have in my coin album, that means that those $10,000 & $27,000 are nice eye candy but they're not in the realm of a reality for me, especially this coin.
    Some members here was a big help in me getting my 55 ODD, so I thought heck, why not give it another shot and see what turns up.
    There is a couple that the Penny Lady has that I've been looking at and I have these two sellers booked marked already.
    Penny Lady &
    Angel Dee's
    Mark

Two good sources. No problem trusting either one to get it right.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@MarkKelley said:
    I have two, PCGS VF-25 and PCGS F-12. Let me know if you would like photos and prices.

I'm not saying I'll buy them, but then again I might.
    I'm interested in both prices and pictures!
    Like most forums I'm sure this one has a messaging option, I've just not used it yet? So, if you want to send me a PM be sure to post a comment in this thread stating you've sent me a PM encase I miss the notice.
    Thanks

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

@seanq said:
    My only advice is to make sure you are buying the Strong Reverse variety, PCGS and others used to certify other die pairs as "Weak Reverse" but the big numbers in the price guides refer to the Strong Reverse.

Sean Reynolds

That's good to know, I've already seen several marked as "Strong Reverse"
    Thanks

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@MarkW63 said:
    Penny Lady &
    Angel Dee's
    Mark

Two good sources. No problem trusting either one to get it right.

Well, at present Angle Dee's has one but its to high of a grade for me, although its a very nice coin and no doubt worth the money.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

I believe the strong reverse is also known as die pair #2. I have die pair #3 in my Dansco, but you can't see the 'D' with the naked eye, and it is quite weak even under magnification.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest that you do a search of 1922 coins on collectors corner https://collectorscorner.com/ There are several in upcoming auctions as well as some in a few dealers inventories. This will not give you everything out in the market but its a good place to start your search at.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkW63 said:

@MarkKelley said:

I'm not saying I'll buy them, but then again I might.
    I'm interested in both prices and pictures!
    Like most forums I'm sure this one has a messaging option, I've just not used it yet? So, if you want to send me a PM be sure to post a comment in this thread stating you've sent me a PM encase I miss the notice.
    Thanks

PM sent.

• Options
    edited May 31, 2021 6:23AM

@DCW said:
    This is one of those varieties that is in the controversial camp. It is technically not a "no D" or "plain 1922" as it was sometimes referred to in the past. There was a D there but was polished off at some point, to the degree that all traces are gone.
    In my opinion, not as impressive as say, the 1990 No S proof Cent, which was mistakenly left off and out into production.
    I mean, had 1922 cents been produced that year, no one would even know this "variety" existed.
    To each his own.

I'm for sure not a coin expert, but I believe I read something about the 22 no D being caused by badly worn dies and a weak strike leaving some of them with no noticeable mint mark on a real one, but, I'm seeing lots of badly worn ones that are likely just worn off mint marks like you said.
    Here is one that's on Angle Dee's and its MS62+BR but look at the price :#
    https://www.angeldees.com/inventory.php?c=2

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... I just looked at the price(s) of these.... Did not realize they were that expensive. I will put that on my list for when I search my hoard of wheat cents ;) .... someday. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you know there is a Buy, Sell, Trade (BST) forum on this board? That would be a good place to express your interest by creating a WTB (want to buy) thread.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Did you know there is a Buy, Sell, Trade (BST) forum on this board? That would be a good place to express your interest by creating a WTB (want to buy) thread.

Nope! no one here had mentioned it and I will be checking it out as I have several Non key date cents that I would like to upgrade, and I have 7 proofs that I'd like to acquire.
    Thank You :)

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 5:08PM

@DCW said:
    This is one of those varieties that is in the controversial camp. It is technically not a "no D" or "plain 1922" as it was sometimes referred to in the past. There was a D there but was polished off at some point, to the degree that all traces are gone.
    In my opinion, not as impressive as say, the 1990 No S proof Cent, which was mistakenly left off and out into production.
    I mean, had 1922 cents been produced that year, no one would even know this "variety" existed.
    To each his own.

Sorry, but the D was not polished off at some point, there are No D 1922 Lincolns, they left the mint that way, and are identified as indicated below

Die Pairs #1, #3 and #4 were the result of “mint grease”, which is a combination of dirt, metal, and oil, filling the
    area of the mintmark. Mint grease would fill the mintmark gradually, resulting in different levels of “weakness”. It
    is believed that the mint grease would fall out, then refill creating a cycle of normal D’s, broken D’s, weak D’s, and
    no D’s. Die Pairs #1, #3 and #4 have “weak reverses” because they were struck with worn reverse dies.

Die Pair #2 is not believed to be the result of “mint grease”. A pair of dies that were creating 1922 D’s clashed
    together. The clash resulted in damage to both the obverse and reverse die. The reverse die was badly
    damaged, and replaced with a newer less worn die. The obverse die was reworked by a mint employee who
    erased all traces of the D mintmark while repairing and polishing the die. The result is a worn obverse die with no
    trace of a mintmark and a strong reverse die.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@DCW said:
    To each his own.

Sorry, but the D was not polished off at some point, there are No D 1922 Lincolns, they left the mint that way...

The obverse die was reworked by a mint employee who erased all traces of the D mintmark while repairing and polishing the die.

So, in other words, "The D was polished off at some point." 😆
    Jeez, I didn't mean that some collector did it. Of course it happened at the Mint. It is still the result of over polishing of the die, which is really not the same as a missing mint mark.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file