Home U.S. Coin Forum

Scratches on coins and TPG's

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else notice what I've noticed? What is your take on it.

I'm not picking on any particular TPG,,,,,, I've seen it with all of them. I can't really show any pictures, except the one below. It's something I've noticed looking at coins online. I'll see some coins that are straight graded with very noticeable scratches or digs. Then I'll see Detail graded coins with a scratch or scratches that may or may not be highly noticeable, but not nearly as bad as some that are straight graded. There seems to be no consistency.

Here is a Half Dollar I own that has multiple scratches. It is Detail graded by a TPG that will remain nameless. I understand why it was Detail graded, but like I said, I've seen much worse that is straight graded.

Comments

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've wondered this myself. On circulated coins, especially lower grades, I see minor scratches and dings as normal wear.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    I've wondered this myself. On circulated coins, especially lower grades, I see minor scratches and dings as normal wear.

I agree totally.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

all depends on the graders and what they think the coin deserves simple as that

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue with that 1806 is the number of scratches and their location. I agree it should be in a details holder. Everything is subjective and you need to see the coin in hand to really tell for sure. I personally haven’t had an issue with TPGs straight grading coins with marks. The issue I think is worse is straight-graded coins that are obviously cleaned.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I like to say, the decision whether to straight-grade (rather than details-grade) a coin can be just as difficult and subjective as the the decision regarding what numerical grade to assign a straight-grade coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fortunately or unfortunately, like @chesterb said;.... subjective.

For whatever reason, could it be about market acceptability at the time??

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen extremes on both ends. One notable coin I saw recently was a Disme or maybe it was a half Disme straight graded F-15 I think with scratches that I thought were to the extreme. It went through Heritage.

@PerryHall said:

@asheland said:
    I’ve seen extremes on both ends. One notable coin I saw recently was a Disme or maybe it was a half Disme straight graded F-15 I think with scratches that I thought were to the extreme. It went through Heritage.

It appears the grading services make allowances for very rare coins.

I’ve heard that and believe it to be true. I wasn’t offended by the scratches on it, just a little surprised by the severity.

I have one example straight graded with a notable scratch. I saw it when considering the coin and still went ahead with the purchase. It doesn’t really bother me as it’s obviously an old scratch.
    This:

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 1:12PM

@asheland said:

@PerryHall said:

I’ve heard that and believe it to be true. I wasn’t offended by the scratches on it, just a little surprised by the severity.

I saw a common date reeded edge bust half in a straight grade Vf 35 holder with a very reasonable price on it at a show recently. Thinking I’m gonna own that coin, when I asked to see it, I was shocked to see a major scratch on the reverse.
    Knowing it was for a customer, there was no way I could buy it.
    To add, this was not a well circulated scratch. It looked like it was done intentionally after or shortly before it was pulled from circulation.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 1:20PM

@PerryHall said:

Yep...And I 100% agree with net grading in that case.

My favorite scratched coin.
    Hansen's 1930-S MS64

This one is in my set.
    It has what looks like a staple scratch above the 4th ray in the left field & under the Y in LIBERTY
    Without the scratches it would be way out of my price range so I'm OK with it.
    1908-D Motto MS65

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the scratch is prominent in the area most viewed, I will pass. Minor scratches will occur on coins that have seen some commerce, and if not a glaring distraction, I will consider the coin for purchase. Grading seems to follow that premise in most cases. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file