Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1983 Lincoln Cent DDR maybe??

ok there must be something about this coin.
it looks like double to me but i cant find any listings Variety Vista.
some help please

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine doubling, not a doubled die. No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mechanical doubling.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 5:38AM

Please read the linked information multiple times and look at the pictures. It should be of immense help. https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good to see that you're checking the resources for exact matches. However, you really need to develop a better understanding of the characteristics for true doubled dies.

There are many, many, many coins in circulation that have mechanical or die deterioration doubling, but very few that have true die doubling (and most of those will need magnification to see)

If you check the characteristics on Wexler's site, you'll easily see your coin has MD. Flat, shelf-like surfaces, no notching or split serifs, and thinner letters/devices. I understand it's going to take some time to learn this, but if you want to search for doubled dies, this will keep you from wasting time on worthless doubling

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the bright side, those are some nice and clear images.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the real deal for you to compare. I just recently sold this coin- It's ANACS 63 RB:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

wow that's a cool coin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file