Home U.S. Coin Forum

You’re opinion on the best one ounce gold eagle to buy of 2021

Mindy9773Mindy9773 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2021 9:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello I’m just wondering what you guys think? I’m thinking the 2021 American Eagle uncirculated one ounce. What’s your opinion?

Comments

• TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure I understand your question. But my guess is the 2021 type 1 silver eagle will be a relatively low mintage. I expect that the type 2 will have a higher mintage. So if your question is what 2021 silver eagle I would rather have, I would say the type 1's. Of course people like new things, so the type 2's will no doubt be hot when they come out.

• Mindy9773Mindy9773 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

I’m sorry I meant to say gold ounce

I will be trying to get the type 2 silver eagle as well, but I only get to buy one ounce of gold for the rest of the year

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you’re looking just to accumulate gold then I would get a gold eagle that is already on the market for as close to spot price as possible. The date doesn’t really matter.

If you’re thinking about best in terms of what will have the most value over spot, I would say that is very difficult and I wouldn’t even recommend trying to play that game. You’d have to luck out with the random mint artificial rarities like the 2019 V75 gold eagle.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever one you can get for the lowest premium over actual gold bullion value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will second the opinion of @291fifth ... Get one that is the lowest premium over spot. None of the gold issues of this year have any projected long term collector gains, so bullion is the option. Cheers, RickO

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's less liquid and I do not know the premiums now, but last I checked, it was possible to buy a generic low MS US classic gold $20 for a comparable premium to an AGE.

As a collectible, I would rather own it. Otherwise, lowest premium to spot.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy bullion not uncirculated off the mint website

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Thank-you so much I appreciate your opinions so much!

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 8:42AM

Buy a 2020 and avoid paying retail for a widget. :) No premium above melt when you sell later.

Buy your 2021 in 2022 when it's bullion again.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

I looked and I see what you guys are saying! I thought buying from the mint would be the cheapest but it’s not!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you want just a representative example, and don't care about numismatic value -> bullion

the big thing this year is that mintages for both numismatic and bullion products are up significantly

numismatic products have numismatic premiums from the mint. it is possible that numismatic premiums decay to some unknown extent. there is an off chance they increase, but we have a year with higher mintages than in the past.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mindy9773 said:
    I looked and I see what you guys are saying! I thought buying from the mint would be the cheapest but it’s not!

The Mint does NOT sell bullion to the public. The Mint sells "collectible" versions of precious metal coins. Their bullion is distributed ONLY through their network of authorized dealers.

Thank-you for this information I appreciate it

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    The Mint does NOT sell bullion to the public. The Mint sells "collectible" versions of precious metal coins. Their bullion is distributed ONLY through their network of authorized dealers.

This.

More info can be found here.

How many 2021bu eagles will be produced? I can’t find that information

Type 2

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mindy9773 said:
    Type 2

The bullion version is unlimited and dictated only by how many are purchased.

Bullion eagles are NOT collectibles with prices that will appreciate with rarity. None of them are rare.

All of the people who have posted to buy the coin with the smallest premium to bullion are trying to make this point. In the end, there will be NO NUMISMATIC PREMIUM on bullion eagles. If you pay a premium now, you are under water 5 minutes later and hoping that the gold price makes up the difference in the future.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file