Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

End of the Road for the Cent (No it's not... nevermind; it was an April Fools post....)

Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2021 11:52AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The mint has announced that it will cease production of the Cent. The final coins will be minted in 2023 and will only be available in special mint sets.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2021 10:51AM

Lets see..... not April 1st.

Let’s get rid of the nickel while we’re at it.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a link to this fantasy?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Lets see..... not April 1st.

Let’s get rid of the nickel while we’re at it.

It might as well be April 1st.

“April 1, 2023
    The US Mint announced this morning that they will phase out the production of new pennies beginning in late 2022, and mint the last batch of pennies on April 1, 2023.Apr 1, 2021”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm... Article posted April 1, 2021. Final production April 1, 2023. Something does not add up here...

https://cashmoneylife.com/us-mint-cease-penny-production/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raybob15239 said:
    The mint has announced that it will cease production of the Cent. The final coins will be minted in 2023 and will only be available in special mint sets.

That was going to be my question. It's not really the end of the road as we've seen with the half dollars!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Raybob15239 said:

That was going to be my question. It's not really the end of the road as we've seen with the half dollars!

It’s an April Fool’s post.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    Hmm... Article posted April 1, 2021. Final production April 1, 2023. Something does not add up here...

Read the article and pay special attention to the line of text which is above the image of a dollar bill with George holding his forehead.

• Options
    MJDMJD Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

Note the last line in the article:

• Options

They got me! I only saw an excerpt of the article a friend posted on FB... I believed it because I wanted to. I still can't believe that the governement would continue to make the cent from the same materials when it costs twice as much to produce as it it is worth.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@Raybob15239 said:

It’s an April Fool’s post.

D'oh!

I should have known. It just makes too much sense!

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's on the internet, it's got to be true! ☺️

Ken
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a relief. You had me worried.

• Options

From 1996-2011 I worked in Denver for two weeks every July and November. I would go to the mint twice a year to buy junk in the gift shop but mainly because they had this vending machine that would dispense the latest State Quarter issue at face value. One dollar in, four quarters out. What a deal!. And I always took the tour. Because I was there and bored. Just killing time. Anyway, before the tour started, all the tourists sat down and were given an introduction talk by the tour guide. It's was always the same. Word for word. But...what struck me the most about the talk was that the tour guide ALWAYS emphasized the point that the production of pennies at the mint was a PROFIT for the mint. Pennies cost less than a penny to make. So......somebody is right and somebody is wrong. Who knows who?

• Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

I've seen at least 5 people post threads linked to this article in the last few months...

Please read stuff before posting, yall.

• Options

@YoloBagels said:
    I've seen at least 5 people post threads linked to this article in the last few months...

Please read stuff before posting, yall.

Message Received. My sincere apologies. 🔨

• Options

Mea culpa. Did not see the whole article. I assumed it was true because it made so much sense. Guess that should have been the clue that it wasn't real.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cent will be with us for the foreseeable future..... Though common sense says it should be eliminated. I believe it continues simply due to tax programs. Probably a few other reasons as well - public sentiment etc.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    From 1996-2011 I worked in Denver for two weeks every July and November. I would go to the mint twice a year to buy junk in the gift shop but mainly because they had this vending machine that would dispense the latest State Quarter issue at face value. One dollar in, four quarters out. What a deal!. And I always took the tour. Because I was there and bored. Just killing time. Anyway, before the tour started, all the tourists sat down and were given an introduction talk by the tour guide. It's was always the same. Word for word. But...what struck me the most about the talk was that the tour guide ALWAYS emphasized the point that the production of pennies at the mint was a PROFIT for the mint. Pennies cost less than a penny to make. So......somebody is right and somebody is wrong. Who knows who?

Up until 2011 cents were indeed coined at a profit. After that, rising costs took over.

• Options
    edited May 31, 2021 10:29AM

@MarkKelley said:

@Hydrant said:

Up until 2011 cents were indeed coined at a profit. After that, rising costs took over.

That makes cents. My last trip to the mint was in 2011. Thanks for the info!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file