Options

1990 D Lincoln cent

hey watsup people,, sorry but im back and need you'll help once again
looks like doubling ...but what do i no..help please

Comments

• Options

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be my eyes ... but I'm not seeing anything that looks like doubling.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP, I'm guessing that you don't spend much time reading other threads? ;)

The issues of doubling are addressed on a regular basis. Numerous resources are routinely noted.

Is there an existing DD on this date/mintmark? If so, compare yours to it - it must match exactly. If not, then why scrutinize that coin for doubling?

Searching every single coin for doubling is a waste of time for a newer collector, in my opinion, for two reasons. First, most dates/mm don't have known doubled dies. Second, 99.99% of doubling you see will be worthless machine/mechanical doubling and will chew up tons of your time as you scrutinize it and wonder what it is.

But that's just my opinion...

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

This site will help you:

http://www.varietyvista.com/

Remember, your coin must match the photos and die markers of the variety you think it is EXACTLY. If anything is different, it isn't the variety you think it is.

If you don't see any listings for your date/mm combination, it means no doubled dies have been attributed and listed by CONCEA for that date/mint.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@ jbk my friend , i do read lots on this site and many others. i do no that if i find something i thing is DD or ? im am only posting here and other sites as to find out if one of you notice anything unusual, as i can see something but apparently im Not seeing anything, and i accept it. but you fail to realise that , every day there are people like me and you that are finding new VARIETIES that's only then do they get a listing for that certain variety, now how is one to no if we dismiss every coin that don't match a variety listing.
    @cmerlo1 ..100% my friend i agree with you , this is what many people fail to remember...

• Options

look at the U in trust

• Options

@cmerlo1 that was to agree with you for the last part of your text

• Options

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.varietyvista.com/

Take a look at the website posted above. If you take some time to look around on the site, you will see that there are no DDO's listed for a 1990-D cent which means that is not a DDO.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

I can't see much from your photo but what do you think it is? Does it look like MD?

If you are going to successfully search for new varieties you will do much better if you can readily identify things like MD.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about this: Rather than looking at photos, purchase a few known attributed doubled die coins. These can be found rather cheaply, such as the lesser 1972 cent varieties among others. Study them carefully in hand and you will then KNOW (!) what a true doubled die coin looks like.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2021 11:10AM

Some of your photos are out of focus and not much can be said from those. What I see is MD and DDD (die deterioration doubling) I do not see any signs of true doubling. Also you need to learn the mint process for making dies for this date timeframe, the single squeeze method can produce (in rare instances) a true doubled die. However the doubling is almost always seen around the center of the coin not the elements around the rim. Once you understand the process and what to look for you can stop with the random guessing.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The majority of "doubled" coins in circulation are due to mechanical or die deterioration doubling. These are not true doubled dies. Being able to tell the difference is extremely important if you want to search for them.

The following link has a good explanation. Notice how Wexler (respected error expert) calls these "worthless" doubling

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are right that there are new varieties discovered periodically. It’s not every day, though, or even very often. However, the vast majority of discovered minor varieties and genuine doubling have very little premium to them. It’s more the satisfaction of finding them.

I think you should take others advice and buy a few genuine doubled die coins and see how they look and compare to what you’re seeing. You need to learn how to look for what you’re looking for before you’ll even find one.

• Options

guys , where will the fun be if i purchase a DD coin. i enjoy the searching , i love looking at coins, i love going tru my coins and playing with them. but i don't often get the chance to because i have 2 boys and they take up lots of my time. so i registered to these sites , to get advice from all of you, but it just seems like you don't want to advice someone, if that's the case then please just look at my coin ...and no REPLY is needed. its that simple.
    so come on people if your advice is gonna be sarcastic, then keep it to YOURSELF. thank you

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck in your searching.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maybeDisTym.... That cent has some minor die deterioration.... No numismatic premium. Good luck in your searches....and have fun. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not suggesting that you don't search for them. Just learn what to search for.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maybeDisTym said:
    guys , where will the fun be if i purchase a DD coin. i enjoy the searching , i love looking at coins, i love going tru my coins and playing with them. but i don't often get the chance to because i have 2 boys and they take up lots of my time. so i registered to these sites , to get advice from all of you, but it just seems like you don't want to advice someone, if that's the case then please just look at my coin ...and no REPLY is needed. its that simple.
    so come on people if your advice is gonna be sarcastic, then keep it to YOURSELF. thank you

Many posters have given you helpful information and advice. But based on multiple threads, it seems as if you’ve been ignoring it - perhaps because you’d rather believe you have something special and valuable.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2021 6:23AM

There was a new collector here a couple years ago who soaked up every shred of education people offered. He went on to find a number of desirable varieties while roll searching and was even featured in a Coin World article.

His numismatic journey was a joy to watch.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 8:20AM

You are wasting time with junk looking for varieties that don't exist.

You are being lazy and don't learn from the many other threads you create.

Alot of resources like Variety Vista can answer these basic questions.

But I think you know this already.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest that you pay attention to the dates with known doubled dies in the Variety Vista files and search for those dates. You'll have much better luck.

• Options

hey guys come on now, don't be this way. i am trying to learn. i come and read most of the post over and over again, i try to do some research before i come here but it takes me a whole lot of time research but i don't get anywhere. i try matching coins by the dates, but i just don't seem to get it right. now I'm Sincerely sorry that all of you'll don't think that i am trying to learn, but really i am,. i think i need to break the ice...so called. so once i find my first DD coin, i probably will understand.
    so for now to everyone, i don't want you'll thinking I'm wasting you'll time. i just need more time. thank you ALL

• Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

My suggestion is to buy some reference material (cherrypickers guide, etc) first. Then try to find known dates and mints. After finding a few you will be able to search other dates for unknown double dies. You maybe the person who finds the next 1919 mecury dime ddo. There are 6 major ddo types. Learn the differences between them. The differece with machine doubling. I have found many double dies, repunched dates and repunched mintmarks. Some of those new varieties. Good luck and have fun finding!!!

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maybeDisTym said:
    hey guys come on now, don't be this way. i am trying to learn. i come and read most of the post over and over again, i try to do some research before i come here but it takes me a whole lot of time research but i don't get anywhere. i try matching coins by the dates, but i just don't seem to get it right. now I'm Sincerely sorry that all of you'll don't think that i am trying to learn, but really i am,. i think i need to break the ice...so called. so once i find my first DD coin, i probably will understand.
    so for now to everyone, i don't want you'll thinking I'm wasting you'll time. i just need more time. thank you ALL

I'm not sure what you are complaining about. Most of the responses here have been helpful suggestions. A couple people have been critical. What do you expect on an open forum?

• Options

Second I do remember finding my first double die. It was a 1939 quadruple double die reverse Jefferson 5 cent in AU condition!!! I was so excited! I had cherried it at a coin show about 20 years ago!!!

• Options

My latest ddr was a 1935 buffalo 5 cent i bought off of ebay. I search ebay, coin shops and coin shows. I have probably looked at 200,000 plus coins looking for varieties.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file