Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1894 o Morgan dollar xf45 details

Was wondering if y’all think the grade looks correct it has been highly polished.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45 details, polished ... net PASS!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as the details part, yes, 45 looks accurate. But that’s a somewhat minor consideration relative to the polishing.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's terminal when a coin is mistreated like that.
    It should be criminal too.

peacockcoins

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... While the grade may be stated, it is superfluous due to the polishing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah... hard pass!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks "net graded" to me.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an ugly coin!!! Yikes.
    45 details is correct though

• Options

@WCC said:

How so?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@WCC said:

How so?

Less wear than an XF. I have seen and owned several coins where this (appeared to have) happened. None of these are/'were US though.

As one example, I used to own a 1769 Bolivia pillar 8R that had no visible wear but was corroded and in an NCS holder as XF details.

I have always assumed (but don't actually know) that NGC did this due to market grading. I'm not as sure about other TPG as I have not seen the coins in person.

• Options

@WCC said:

@MFeld said:

@WCC said:

How so?

Less wear than an XF. I have seen and owned several coins where this (appeared to have) happened. None of these are/'were US though.

As one example, I used to own a 1769 Bolivia pillar 8R that had no visible wear but was corroded and in an NCS holder as XF details.

I have always assumed (but don't actually know) that NGC did this due to market grading. I'm not as sure about other TPG as I have not seen the coins in person.

Thank you.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why they would even slab a polished coin?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    I don't understand why they would even slab a polished coin?

For some, authentication is the driving motivator. The damage to the coin is noted on the holder...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good rock tumbler will take that polish right off. :-(

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

These heavily polished coins are probably a little weird to grade for TPGs. XF45 or AU50 details seems right. A Morgan is a Morgan, still cool to have imo if the price was right.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@MFeld said:

@WCC said:

How so?

The thing is the main difference between AU and XF is mint surface/luster remaining. Obviously a 40 will have rub/loss where a 58 just has surface loss/rub. But a choice 45 is really just an AU53 with less % of surfaces with luster as a 53 is to a 55. That may have higher detail but it has 0% original mint bloom or surfaces intact which defaults it to XF by most standards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file