Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay remorse return

On April 13 I had a Shaq PSA(9) listed for $140 on eBay. Buyer asked if I would take less. We agreed on $130 and he received the card on April 20th. On May 27th (5 weeks later) he filed a return request and stated he "just didn't like it". He has had the card for 5 weeks and the price has dropped about $50. Should I just decline the request (I don't think I'm obligated to accept the return) or should I offer the current going rate for the card if he sends it back... about $80?

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

I would fight it on principal but I think it’s a losing battle.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

id decline. then play from there.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought ebay recently sent literature saying they had eliminated or were eliminating remorse returns.

Not sure...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

You might actually have a fighting chance if declining it and winning because he put it in writing that he has buyers remorse.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 1:26PM

It took 5 weeks to suddenly not like it? Happens way too much.....I hope you fight it using the buyer's own words and win.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2021 1:39PM

he can always go to paypal. BUT isnt 5 weeks past the time that he can FORCE a return via ebay.

he's basically just begging, right?

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess they need to create a new category for returns - 'Couldn't flip it for a quick profit'.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I still sell on ebay, but just a few items now. This is the very reason. Have several big cards that I will consign with 4SC or PWCC this summer.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 2:20PM

Pretty sure that there is a 30 day window after the item show's delivered. After that, eBay will not step in. I know that's the case if you don't receive an item and it is over 30 days past the LATEST estimated date of delivery.

Just decline and move on. The buyer can't escalate a return request where you can say yes or no. Only for damaged or not as described, and not received... If he/she leaves neg feedback, just chat with support and I'm sure they will remove it as retaliation.

• Options

A bit ex post facto, eh?

• Options

"hello mr stock broker. i'm not happy about that worldcom & enron stock i bought from you back in may. it's dropped significantly. even though i begged you and you were kind enough to discount it. now could you please refund me and take the hit for me?"

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 4:38PM

Ebay babysits it's precious buyers ~ when it comes to collectibles.... if the card is professionally graded and photo'd in the sale...... ALL SALES ARE FINAL.... outside of damage and fraud .... these are commodities not Neiman Marcus ladies hand bags. There is no difference between this and a stock for all intents and purposes.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

So are we posting the eBay ID?

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

No point in fighting the inevitable. Accept the return, relist, and move on. The stress (and futility) are not worth it over $150.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the card doubled in value since then, maybe he would have offered to pay more now..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bobbybradyjrbobbybradyjr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    This in a nutshell is why I stopped selling on eBay

Agreed. I stopped last year after 17 years of selling.

• Options

@professorpuck said:
    No point in fighting the inevitable. Accept the return, relist, and move on. The stress (and futility) are not worth it over $150.

normally id agree. but after the fourth week...again, i think he is begging and it cant be forced. thru ebay at least.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@professorpuck said:

What is the inevitable? It's outside of 30 days.... Sure, he can go to paypal or the CC route, but he still has to show effort with the seller if he claims not as described. And the seller has the message he just doesn't like it anymore.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@professorpuck said:

Which is why they keep doing it!

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@professorpuck said:

What is the inevitable? It's outside of 30 days.... Sure, he can go to paypal or the CC route, but he still has to show effort with the seller if he claims not as described. And the seller has the message he just doesn't like it anymore.

That's the inevitable part. Any buyer who wants a 'return' (sending you the item back in exchange for their money) will get one. There is no stopping it. It's not complicated.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

DECLINE for sure.

And post his username so we can block.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

One other way of looking at it:

Over years, and thousands of sales, I can recount specifics of all of the buyer-related shenanigans that have irked me.

I cannot remember how much any of the cards that were involved in the episodes cost.

One thing matters; the other thing does not. Just don't let it phase you, relist, and you'll sell it again. The money is small and you'll probably come out close to even at the end regardless.

• Options
    NWSCNWSC Posts: 3

If it's past the 30 days since he received it you can just decline to accept. If it was less than 30 you would have to take it back if you offer 30 day money back guarantees on your listings.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

This scenario happens frequently.... and is almost always basketball cards. Hot one week, not the next, can't flip, return and repeat. Sad.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Force him to make the return and let it go through the process. Don't make it easy for the d-bag.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@sayheywyo said:
    This scenario happens frequently.... and is almost always basketball cards. Hot one week, not the next, can't flip, return and repeat. Sad.

It’s definitely the segment the ‘flipper bois’ are in.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Socalguy1967Socalguy1967 Posts: 138 ✭✭

Thanks for all the advice. I think I am simply going to decline the return request (that is one of the options eBay gave me) and see what happens. It's not really about the money as it is about the principal of letting someone make a return over a month after they received the card. If anyone is interested in avoiding this buyer, his eBay ID is.... og_game_day_sports_cards

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

i understand the frustration. it is, however what we sign up for when selling on that platform and accepting paypal payments.

30 days is the ebay return window, but paypal has a 6 month window.

you can fight it, but paypal will force the refund. better to not get stressed about things you cant control.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2021 8:24AM

I’d make him jump through every hoop to force a return. Drag it out as long as the system allows.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@Socalguy1967 said:
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I am simply going to decline the return request (that is one of the options eBay gave me) and see what happens. It's not really about the money as it is about the principal of letting someone make a return over a month after they received the card. If anyone is interested in avoiding this buyer, his eBay ID is.... og_game_day_sports_cards

User name does not show..

• Options

@picklepete said:

@Socalguy1967 said:

User name does not show..

https://www.ebay.com/usr/og_game_day_sports_cards