Home U.S. Coin Forum

1932 Washington Quarters Photos Posted

HenryOHenryO Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
edited June 6, 2021 5:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well my heart kind of jumped when I checked for the 6th time today and saw my submission moved from encapsulation to QA! Anyone know when I can expect to see the grades available at this stage?

Here are my novice guesses I jotted down before I submitted the 8 1932 WQs;
1-MS66
2-MS65
3-MS66
4-MS62
5-MS62
6-MS66
7-MS66
8-MS65

I am prepared for a dose of reality on my normal over optimistic approach to life. Still, I don't think I will sleep too well........

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

only 6th?

nerves of steel!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • HenryOHenryO Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    only 6th?

nerves of steel!

Actually, I just had a number of shop orders to get out, so I couldn't sit here banging refresh.... Now my nerves of steel are in the crucible..... :s

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my submissions had a grade posted today.

Always a treat (sometimes sweet, sometimes sour).

Good luck with yours.

So what is the back story behind these multiple MS 1932 quarters?

@SanctionII said:

Good luck with yours.

Good Evening,
    I found an old 40's era Meghrig folder with 10 "uncirculated" WQs posted on EBay. Had a starting bid of $300. and noone seemed to want to bite. I was the only bid. Being a newbie, I know I was taking a chance, but dang they looked good. In hand they looked even better. Looked and them and compared to graded photos for a year before I finally sent them off in April. I'm sure this will be a learning experience.

@SanctionII said:

Good luck with yours.

About how long from going QA till they posted a grade?

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

HenryO.

Mine took about 4 days.

Good luck

• RubiconRubicon Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

What is QA

@Rubicon said:
    What is QA

From what the PCGS account page for the submission tells me, quality check, label and holder verification.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rubicon said:
    What is QA

Quality Assurance. It’s a check to see that every step was done. Most times correctly. To make sure things are done correctly is QC - Quality Control.

thefinn
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your grades.... One question, if they are all 1932 quarters, how will you tell them apart and know which grade you guessed as opposed to which grade was assigned? Cheers, RickO

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Good luck with your grades.... One question, if they are all 1932 quarters, how will you tell them apart and know which grade you guessed as opposed to which grade was assigned? Cheers, RickO

As long as he noted the grades in the order of how he entered it on the order form the serial number order will match the same order.

@ricko said:

Good Morning RickO....I printed off an extra copy of the labels I used for the submission, then jotted my SWAG number by each item.
    Now that I think about it, I don't know why I didn't go ahead and image and record each one by the numbers. In the future....

@HenryO ... Thanks for the reply... Best of luck with your grades....Cheers, RickO

@TomB said:

@ricko said:

In such cases I always use one of these to etch the number of each coin on the reverse-

I really appreciate the humor. It's good to be able to laugh to take the edge off the waiting.

This "hobby" can be an obsession. I know the Greek poet suggested "moderation in all things"-I always wanted to ask him, would that not make one excessively moderate?

Just got the e=mail saying grades available! My hands are shaking and my heart is pounding. So drumroll, please.........

Wa wa waaa! Boy was I off! I am laughing at myself like crazy. Heck of an experience.

ouch

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

it's a learning experience

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's too bad the PCGS grades did not match what you had anticipated, but you weren't nearly as far off as many folks are in their submissions and you can use these results to help grade future raw coins before sending off for certification.

As an aside, if I recall correctly you mentioned that you purchased these in a ten-coin group from a 1940s era album off of ebay. My guess is that the seller knew these would not grade high and intentionally and recently placed these coins in the album to move them in one shot. I write this not only from my acquired cynicism over all things ebay, but also because the two coins you shared images of had no patina (oxidation, skin, toning, etc...) on them and were blasty white. If they had been in a 1940s era album for any length of time then it would have been extremely unlikely for the coins to look like they just had a dip.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@MsMorrisine said:
    it's a learning experience

For sure. I'm the eternal optimist, but try to keep one foot in reality. For my first submission, I feel fine. They could of all come back "cleaned"

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@ricko said:

In such cases I always use one of these to etch the number of each coin on the reverse-

There ain't no better way to make sure everything is "exact".

Right?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

It could be that some of the AU ones would have been higher grades without wear. The wear just did it in. It can be tricky to catch that slight wear if you haven’t looked at a bunch of these. Also remember to look at these with a single incandescent bulb in an otherwise darker room and rotate the coin as you look. Much easier to find problems than in a bright room or with lots of lights.

@TurtleCat said:
    It could be that some of the AU ones would have been higher grades without wear. The wear just did it in. It can be tricky to catch that slight wear if you haven’t looked at a bunch of these. Also remember to look at these with a single incandescent bulb in an otherwise darker room and rotate the coin as you look. Much easier to find problems than in a bright room or with lots of lights.

Thank you friend, very good points. That makes a lot of sense about the wear. Especially on the ones I really thought would grade higher due to the lack of bag marks or hairlines. Interesting that number 4, that I thought might be 62-63 wound up graded 64...

Good experience and certainly your attitude is good. Thanks for sharing the grades. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Good experience and certainly your attitude is good. Thanks for sharing the grades. Cheers, RickO

Thanks Rick. I do try to be a bit philosophical about things. If by some fluke of beginners luck I had scored a 67, it probably would have ruined any chance of being the humble student and put all the focus on winning a jackpot. I think I'll go back to working on finishing my well circulated set of Mercury Dimes which gives me great enjoyment with no lurking notion of "striking it rich",
    For now, back to my little jewelry shop to complete some orders...

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is tuition that everyone else on the forums has also paid, so don’t sweat it. You can keep a few and use them to help you assess future purchases and, eventually, you can make the experience a net gain. Thanks for sharing the results!

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet the one that came back cleaned was the single example that looked totally GEM in the photos you showed.

peacockcoins

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

In one of my first submissions through the ANA, I had a 1932 that I dipped that had been darkly toned, grade MS65. That was beginner's luck and I did well with the other coins.

I'm curious how the seller of these coins represented them?

@logger7 said:
    In one of my first submissions through the ANA, I had a 1932 that I dipped that had been darkly toned, grade MS65. That was beginner's luck and I did well with the other coins.

I'm curious how the seller of these coins represented them?

Its been a year ago, the listing title read "10 pc lot 1932P Washington Quarters Silver UNC in old time holder".
    I don't recall any other description details, they were from Rayburns Wholesale.

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your results are very similar to some of my first submissions to PCGS. Mostly coins I had bought at local auctions that I thought were all MS. Many came back AU or Details. I would study those coins and learn from them.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of “slider” 1932 quarters, as a first year of issue many were saved from change.

We all get a few 58s every now again, well I do anyway. Or we get 62s on coins we were hoping were 58 or 58+.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

@scotty4449 said:
    Your results are very similar to some of my first submissions to PCGS. Mostly coins I had bought at local auctions that I thought were all MS. Many came back AU or Details. I would study those coins and learn from them.

Yeah, same here. When I got back into collecting in 2001 or so I bought a bunch of BU Morgans on eBay and sent them in. May have been my first ever submission. Every one was AU. I learned a valuable lesson that day to never buy raw on eBay generally.

• LancekLancek Posts: 19 ✭✭

It is very hard to objectively grade your own coins. Especially early on. If the brain wants a 65, it tends to make the eyes see a 65. I still find myself going through my coin boxes and cringing at what I put on some of my early coins.

And take every ebay claim with a truckload of salt.

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why so many 32's. Were these from a roll?

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one for comparo. Bought raw years ago and sent in.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

1-MS66 - 58
    2-MS65 - 58
    3-MS66 - 63
    4-MS62 - 64
    5-MS62 - 58
    6-MS66 - 58
    7-MS66 - 63
    8-MS65 - cleaned

it will be interesting if we can tell any differences when TruViews are posted

@davewesen said:
    1-MS66 - 58
    2-MS65 - 58
    3-MS66 - 63
    4-MS62 - 64
    5-MS62 - 58
    6-MS66 - 58
    7-MS66 - 63
    8-MS65 - cleaned

it will be interesting if we can tell any differences when TruViews are posted

Indeed. I look forward to the process of education to hopefully see where my errors were.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get yourself a good light for grading. A lot of people don't understand how important a good light is for grading. I prefer OttLite fluorescents. Yes I can hear professional graders and dealers cringing from here. But it's what I like.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

@relicsncoins said:
    Why so many 32's. Were these from a roll?

They were from a set of 10 in an old Meghrig folder (Ebay)

Realized I did not order Trueviews, but here are the coins from my submission;

1 my guess (hope) 66

2 my guess (hope) 65

3 My guess (hope) 66

4 My guess 62, pleasantly surprised

5 My guess 62

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HenryO said:
    Realized I did not order Trueviews, but here are the coins from my submission;

since the "regular" level tier service is shield by default, doesn't that mean that all coins submitted at that level and above have been trueviewed? i see the washie you posted doesn't have one (yet) but i think it may take a week or two sometimes before they post. (someone can correct me if i am mistaken)

one of my previous orders (first one in a while) came with trueviews and i thought someone just made an error in my favor but i later figured out that part of the reason that tier seemed to go up in price was due to the trueview thing. if i am correct, this is amazing and worthy of its own thread, if there are one(s) already as several people, somewhat myself included, have been harping on about having images of coins for authentication reasons, although i think the slab-view may be better for this, having coins at regular and above tiers automatically professionally imaged, comes with a host of benefits, not least of all is authentication and tracking coins that have been doctored conserved.

you provided pretty decent images HenryO, just change out the lights you are using (if you can), tinker some more and post images for advice here about grading and it should save you a ton of money.

i made a post recently halfway joking about having nightmares of au58s (sliders). hitting that grade when we think it won't reach that high is fantastic and the opposite is gut-wrenching. i know all-to-well.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

6 my guess 66

7 my guess 66

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file