Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why is finding a simple Excel coin inventory template so hard?

JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

I don't need anything fancy, just for basic information. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it all depends on how complex someone wants to make a coin inventory sheet. Some want every last detail and some want it as simple as possible. Then there are bells and whistles like auto-charting/graphing and summaries. I personally just use the PCGS registry inventory for my inventory needs of slabs. It's easy enough to use.

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. I must be REALLY old school. I still use a notebook (four actually) and pen. I never did get the hang of Excel.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister said:
    I think just about every one on this board has made their own custom coin inventory spread sheets at one time or another. I used Excel and still do. Most are also reluctant to share computer files.

@Jimsokay

I have one in excel I can master and sample for you. Simple to use, but it requires some work (it isn't automated with macro's or anything). Send me a PM with your email address if you want it and I'll send you. You can edit or use as you wish.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 9:11AM

@TurtleCat said:
    I think it all depends on how complex someone wants to make a coin inventory sheet. Some want every last detail and some want it as simple as possible. Then there are bells and whistles like auto-charting/graphing and summaries. I personally just use the PCGS registry inventory for my inventory needs of slabs. It's easy enough to use.

This.

If the PCGS registry is not suitable for your needs, I humbly suggest creating your own Excel template.

Want to organize by year? Set it up that way.
    Have world coins, and want to organize by country? Use different "sheets", and set it up that way.
    Want to mirror PCGS, and organize by type? Use different "sheets", and set it up that way.

The beauty of Excel is the ability to customize something that 'works' for you.

Edited for a typo.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone has different needs. Most people make their own. Sure, it takes a little time but you would end up with exactly what you want. If you are not that familiar with using Excel then it could present a small learning curve but there are a ton of tutorials on YouTube.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

@metalmeister said:
    I think just about every one on this board has made their own custom coin inventory spread sheets at one time or another. I used Excel and still do. Most are also reluctant to share computer files.

I have Excel for business, but I've never had to make a spreadsheet and I have zero desire to learn that program. haha

I guess if someone's self created spreadsheet is costumed? I just need a list like sheet. Thanks for the info.

@AuldFartte said:
    Wow. I must be REALLY old school. I still use a notebook (four actually) and pen. I never did get the hang of Excel.

You are not alone. haha!

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made my own Excel spreadsheet for my 7070 Type Set and I've made a separate version for my Morgan Dollar Date Set. I don't have a whole lot of "inventory" to keep tabs on, so a custom spreadsheet just seemed like a naturally good fit... but I'm pretty comfortable with Excel...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@keyman64 said:
    Everyone has different needs. Most people make their own. Sure, it takes a little time but you would end up with exactly what you want. If you are not that familiar with using Excel then it could present a small learning curve but there are a ton of tutorials on YouTube.

It's hard to explain to people that use it and know it, that I don't want to learn it. About twenty years ago I was trying to do that and my ten year old daughter walked into my office and asked what I was doing. I told her, explained to her and she told me to let her sit at the computer and in ten minutes she made me one. It was embarrassing to say the least. :)

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one looks good, but it’s not free
    http://www.carlisledevelopment.com/inventory-software.html

Mr_Spud

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Numbers on my iPad. It’s free, easy, and it syncs with my iPhone.

@Jimsokay said:
    It's hard to explain to people that use it and know it, that I don't want to learn it. About twenty years ago I was trying to do that and my ten year old daughter walked into my office and asked what I was doing. I told her, explained to her and she told me to let her sit at the computer and in ten minutes she made me one. It was embarrassing to say the least. :)

Info on the PCGS Set Registry ...
    Overview
    Webpage

@Mr_Spud said:
    This one looks good, but it’s not free
    http://www.carlisledevelopment.com/inventory-software.html

Overkill, but thank you!

@skier07 said:
    I use Numbers on my iPad. It’s free, easy, and it syncs with my iPhone.

Now I have to charge my iPad and check that out. ;) Thanks!

@MetroD said:

@Jimsokay said:

Info on the PCGS Set Registry ...
    Overview
    Webpage

Thanks! I would go that way if that's what I had, but I have few slabbed coins.

@Jimsokay said:
    Thanks! I would go that way if that's what I had, but I have few slabbed coins.

You can add ungraded coins, or coins from other grading services, to the PCGS registry. And it its free.
    FAQs

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can also clear out the coins on one of my spreadsheets and email a blank copy to you. Just pm if interested.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably hard to find one because it's so easy to make one:

Perhaps something like the following?

Coin Name, Date Acquired, Price, Seller

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoins wrote what I was going to add.

That is, the program is simple as anything and making a spreadsheet is trivial. You state you have "zero desire to learn" how to do it and that, compared with how easy it is to fill in the blanks, is what is giving you problems. You don't need to compute anything or tabulate anything or link anything. Just fill in the blanks with the information you want to record.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 12:28PM

@pursuitofliberty said:

@metalmeister said:

@Jimsokay

I have one in excel I can master and sample for you. Simple to use, but it requires some work (it isn't automated with macro's or anything). Send me a PM with your email address if you want it and I'll send you. You can edit or use as you wish.

The real advantage of Excel is inserting it's formulas to do all the 'rithmatic. Otherwise it's just a word processor with numbers. Its formulas are the tricky part. but can be used to do all of the needed calculations.

Best to avoid including a "current value" column as it is always changing and has to be manually updated. Primary purpose the spreadsheet should be to track inventory and have all the numbers needed at tax time at your disposal.

I keep two sheets - an Inventory sheet that shows current inventory and has columns to record and calculate later sales expenses. Once the sales expense for a line item are added, I cut and paste the entire line to a Current Year Sales sheet. This removes it from inventory and provides me the needed numbers and dates at tax reporting time.
    My inventory is entered onto the sheet in order of its denomination, making it easier to find when I make the sale. Graded coins include the TPG cert number in the item description as well as the grade.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb

I build some pretty crazy ones for engineering, program development and finance.

For my collections I keep track of things and have some cost basis and value analysis. I even have some automated features, but the basics are simple. Which is what I offered Jim ... a striped down basic workbook he could use.

Excel can be entirely more powerful than most people use it for, but the more automated the sheets, the harder they are to use for people who don't understand all the processes and links, and the easier they are to break.

I'm sure you know this, but frankly, your comment comes off wrong.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
    edited May 22, 2021 12:59PM

@pursuitofliberty said:
    @derryb

Excel can be entirely more powerful than most people use it for, but the more automated the sheets, the harder they are to use for people who don't understand all the processes and links, and the easier they are to break.

I'm sure you know this, but frankly, your comment comes off wrong.

Please ID the wrong comments so that I can clarify or correct.

If Excel's formulas are not to be used one would pretty much get the same results with a more user friendly "table" from a word processor such as Word where one manually enters all data.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

@bsshog40 said:
    I can also clear out the coins on one of my spreadsheets and email a blank copy to you. Just pm if interested.

Thank you!

@Zoins said:
    It's probably hard to find one because it's so easy to make one:

Perhaps something like the following?

Coin Name, Date Acquired, Price, Seller

Everything is easy if you know how to do it. ;)

@Jimsokay said:

@bsshog40 said:

Thank you!

If it does contain formulas you will need to leave at least one row of entries to share those formulas.

@Jimsokay,

You have templates offers from @pursuitofliberty and @bsshog40. I will add another.

If you decide that you want to go the spreadsheet route:
    ~ create your desired template on paper;
    ~ image it (camera phone or scanner);
    ~ and send it to me via PM.

I will create your personalized template in Excel, and send it to you via PM.

Edited to add: I am NOT an Excel guru. So, my work product will not contain advanced features (e.g., macros, pivot tables, etc.). That said, it does not sound like you 'want/need' any advanced functions anyway.

@MetroD said:
    @Jimsokay,

You have templates offers from @pursuitofliberty and @bsshog40. I will add another.

If you decide that you want to go the spreadsheet route:
    ~ create your desired template on paper;
    ~ image it (camera phone or scanner);
    ~ and send it to me via PM.

I will create your personalized template in Excel, and send it to you via PM.

Edited to add: I am NOT an Excel guru. So, my work product will not contain advanced features (e.g., macros, pivot tables, etc.). That said, it does not sound like you 'want/need' any advanced functions anyway.

That’s a wonderful offer, thank you!

I’m first going to try what I now have and make sure I don’t hurt myself. :)

• DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

There is a template you can pull right off of the ANA website.

https://www.money.org/tools

• retirednowretirednow Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ANA tool is a nice word table ... but it depends on how many and diverse your collection is now and will be ... the more pieces and diversity having a spreadsheet is a nice tool as you can easily sort the listing, sum values , track how many times and how much $ you purchased from specific people/shows/dealers. Use it to keep records on dealer contacts, emails etc as well and when you sell keep the sell records.

My suggestion is default to more data now as it will be an issue as you grow your collection and then harder to go back to find the data

OMG ... My Mother was Right about Everything!
    I wake up with a Good Attitude Every Day. Then … Idiots Happen!

edited May 22, 2021 4:48PM

First, determine (for tax purposes) if you are a business (IRS Schedule C) or an investor (IRS Schedule D). This will determine what is deductible and therefore what column headers you need. My spreadsheet formulas provide totals for each column at the bottom of the sheet, and shows total deductible costs for each line item by adding/subracting certain columns. If your sales volume is low enough you just might squeeze by as a "collector." Otherwise the IRS requires all income to be claimed and taxes paid on it. Let the spreadsheet keep track of this info.

The less columns in a spreadsheet the more user friendly and less work/maintenance. No need to get exotic with info you really don't need. Spreadsheet should serve two purposes: provide a snapshot of your current inventory (I do not include current value, requires constant update/input as it is constantly changing) and all the numbers you need at tax time. First thing in designing one is to identify all the column headers you will need. Second thing is to determine which columns you want to create a formula for.

As state earlier I have an initial inventory sheet where I enter purchases. When sold I enter the sales data to complete the line item and then cut and paste the line item from my inventory sheet to my sales sheet for the current year. Bot sheets have the same date, only difference is one of them is completed data.

Shot of this year's first two sales from my sales sheet. I'm a Schedule D filer and this is the info I need.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file