Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a certified P01

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this one up from GC last week ... sort of a fun piece.

I generally stick with silver or gold lowballs, but this one really spoke to me. I have around fifty no problem Half and Large Cents (mostly F2 - AG3), and I decided to add this girl to the group. To me, there is something special about seeing '17' in a date, although it is quite faint on this one.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 2:35PM

Idk - have always considered them culls of the worst sort. Amazed people spend money getting them graded.

Perhaps you should shop them around bourse at show see what they offer.....if there any market on these.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

78saen, your commemorative reminds me of one that was featured here a year or so ago. All the coin's detail one could see is a hint of the reverse, yet it was enough to identify the type. And, as it was a one-year type, PCGS was able to grade and label it. Definitely a cool coin (I wish I could recall which one it was.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

What's the date?

• Options

peacockcoins

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MOS0231MOS0231 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@DennisH said:

Wouldn't this CAC premium quality sticker defeat the purpose of a certified PO-01 coin? So there must be high end and low end PO-01's? I would want my PO-01's to be the lowest of the low. ;)

• Options

I want my PO1s to have massive eye appeal (for what it is) and not a coin that has problems yet just barely qualifies and one that is graded and placed in a regular (not a details/genuine only) slab.
    CAC verifies that for me. I think of a CAC PO1 as a smooth coin with NO problems or issues with hard, blemish-free surfaces yet with PO1 wear.
    I don't think CAC stickers a PO1 coin because it is on the edge of FA2.

peacockcoins

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    edited August 13, 2021 5:24PM

@braddick said:
    I want my PO1s to have massive eye appeal (for what it is) and not a coin that has problems yet just barely qualifies and one that is graded and placed in a regular (not a details/genuine only) slab.
    CAC verifies that for me. I think of a CAC PO1 as a smooth coin with NO problems or issues with hard, blemish-free surfaces yet with PO1 wear.
    I don't think CAC stickers a PO1 coin because it is on the edge of FA2.

I thought a straight graded PO1, was suppose to be a smooth problem free/blemish free coin. I just don't have the knowledge to intelligently debate or understand the issue. I appreciate your opinion and feedback. Thanks.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

To each their own. I can’t figure out why one would buy a slabbed common coin in poor condition. I have seen them trade for crazy money. Last year, I saw a poor-1 scarcer date gold coin. I could have bought an AU for the same price. It would be more enjoyable for me to show a Fine or VF coin that costs the same amount as a slabbed poor to a person that doesn’t collect but wants to see what our country’s earlier coinage looked like.

• Options
    edited August 13, 2021 5:42PM

@braddick, Well, here's one of mine. I think I just helped you prove your point. This sucker has zero eye appeal in the pictures plus in-hand!! :s It looks like a slug made from a piece of copper pipe!! :'(

I obviously bought the slab, not the coin. ;)

• Options
    edited August 13, 2021 5:45PM

@Colonialcoin said:
    To each their own. I can’t figure out why one would buy a slabbed common coin in poor condition.

I think it's the challenge of actually finding one in true straight graded PO-1 condition. I think there are guys that only collect PO-1 sets.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

Ok! It’s a different way of looking at things. My luck it would come back as a Fair. Serious question for you. I have received a Kennedy Half dollar in change maybe once in my life. Do you believe that one could actually circulate for literally decades before being pulled out of circulation or are they just pieces that have spent years in a pocket? Is that considered circulation wear? I had a VG colonial that I carried as a “lucky” piece. It wore down so much that an expert in the series could not ID the coin.

• Options

@Colonialcoin said:
    Ok! It’s a different way of looking at things. My luck it would come back as a Fair. Serious question for you. I have received a Kennedy Half dollar in change maybe once in my life. Do you believe that one could actually circulate for literally decades before being pulled out of circulation or are they just pieces that have spent years in a pocket? Is that considered circulation wear? I had a VG colonial that I carried as a “lucky” piece. It wore down so much that an expert in the series could not ID the coin.

Here's one that @braddick posted. I have no idea where this Kennedy has been since 1964 but it's a PO-1. It has to have enough meat on the bone for the TPG'ers to ID it.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lanterne rouge is the competitor in last place in a cycling race such as the Tour de France. The phrase comes from the French for "Red Lantern" and refers to the red lantern hung on the rear vehicle of a passenger railway train or the brake van of a freight train, which signalmen would look for in order to make sure none of the couplings had become disconnected.
    I agree that it seems a stretch but it is still a distinction. For instance, this would not meet that distinction but it still has a place in my heart:

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2021 6:56PM

@Colonialcoin said:
    To each their own. I can’t figure out why one would buy a slabbed common coin in poor condition. I have seen them trade for crazy money. Last year, I saw a poor-1 scarcer date gold coin. I could have bought an AU for the same price. It would be more enjoyable for me to show a Fine or VF coin that costs the same amount as a slabbed poor to a person that doesn’t collect but wants to see what our country’s earlier coinage looked like.

For me it's about eye appeal. I tend to like PO01 and AU-MS. I don't buy that much in the middle. PO01s are just very eye appealing to me. For AU, I tend to lean towards toners, while I'll get white and toned MS coins.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

'eh, raw baby

1890CC

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

Obverse:

(I'd show the reverse but it is worn slick.)

rim says blank planchet

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a few I think I've posted before.

• Options

I believe I owned that PCGS P01 13-S quarter for a few years. Great coin!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@braddick said:

Obverse:

(I'd show the reverse but it is worn slick.)

rim says blank planchet

I'm pretty sure that he was joking. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

Coin was a pocket piece, I presume. Would be cool to pedigree these to the person who pocket pieced it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

These PO1 coins really do not interest me. I like to see detail on a coin. Though I will agree with @Dave99B, a visible '17' in the date (first two numerals) is always special. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MOS0231 said:

@Colonialcoin said:

Here's one that @braddick posted. I have no idea where this Kennedy has been since 1964 but it's a PO-1. It has to have enough meat on the bone for the TPG'ers to ID it.

Is all a 64 Kennedy needs is to be 90% silver?

• Options

@Zoins said:

Is all a 64 Kennedy needs is to be 90% silver?

Say that again.

• Options

Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file