Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seth Chandler Launches Witter Coin University

Seth Chandler, owner and chief numismatist of Witter Coins in San Francisco, California, has announced that he is establishing a new educational program geared to young numismatists (YNs) and to be called Witter Coin University. This initiative offers complete scholarships to 25 lucky YNs ranging in age from 13 through 21 who will enjoy a week-long course covering an array of numismatic topics in late July 2021.

We had the chance to talk with Seth about the program which includes dealers, graders, and researchers who have spent years in numismatics and who are volunteering as instructors. They include John Brush of David Lawrence Rare Coins, David McCarthy of Kagin’s, Devin Hipp of Devin Hipp Enterprises, Jim Stoutjesdyk from Heritage Auctions, full-time graduate student Kevin Kaufmann, and PCGS Director of Numismatic Education and Outreach Steve Feltner.

Witter Coin University is being underwritten by Chandler as well as through donations from supporters such as PCGS and many others who are contributing via a crowdsourcing platform at www.WitterCoinFund.com, where individuals can both donate funds and apply for scholarships.

Check out the article here: https://www.pcgs.com/news/philanthropic-dealer-seth-chandler-launches-witter-coin-university

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Seth's a class act. First met him at the PCGS table at the 2005 ANA in San Francisco when we were doing the grading contest. Had a nice conversation and got an invite to watch that or the next night's A's game from a box.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super idea!

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way Cool 😎

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful, can I go

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great way to give back to the hobby!

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news.

The more opportunities for quality education, the better!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome and noble endeavor!

Very exciting opportunity for some lucky YNs!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

When ever I talk to Seth, I'm amazed with his intellect and energy - congrats on what looks like a worthwhile endeavor! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 7:00PM

Great program! If it was an online University, I was thinking of signing up myself!

Here's the description:

While Chandler’s goal is to teach these young people more about the hobby, he says there is a much deeper purpose in bringing these 25 teenagers and young adults together for a week of numismatic camaraderie. “The number-one item that most applicants say is [important is] that they wish to meet other young numismatists just like themselves. This is the basis for lifelong friendships. That’s the biggest goal by far, for the YNs to make friends.”

If Chandler can create a University, hopefully the ANA or ANS can too :)

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

And he is fundraising to provide the scholarships for YN- It sounds like an awesome experience!

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's been talking about it on Instagram for weeks. Pretty cool.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great program. Will be an excellent experience in training and camaraderie for groups that go through this process. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

If Chandler can create a University, hopefully the ANA or ANS can too :)

I do wonder why ANA has not been able a leap onto the online University type programs to promote the hobby and profession (or maybe they are). The one thing COVID has shown us is the ability for remote learning ( and work in some cases). I am sure there are many within the membership rank that could help the ANA to develop and promote expert learning pieces that could be web base. PCGS has done a nice job with the Grading videos (101) but a broader base platform would be welcome - The platforms are there ... I have taken a number of free (Audited) on line courses sponsored through Coursera ( https://www.coursera.org/ ) where they host hundreds of diverse college level courses in partnership with world class universities and companies. Of course I am retired so I enjoy learning new things e.g. Astronomy, Greek History, personal financial planning and Chinese for beginners - I did drop out of that one :)
    I picture someday a suite of Numismatic and maybe business related topics being linked as a foundation for the next generation of enthusiast to leap.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2021 8:02AM

@Floridafacelifter said:
    And he is fundraising to provide the scholarships for YN- It sounds like an awesome experience!

Looks like good progress!

It’s great PCGS is supporting this!

I wonder if the other stalwart numismatic organizations will donate, like the ANA, ANS, other TPGs. major auction houses, etc.?

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2021 12:05PM

Were the scholarship winners announced?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

Looks like good progress!

It’s great PCGS is supporting this!

I wonder if the other stalwart numismatic organizations will donate, like the ANA, ANS, other TPGs. major auction houses, etc.?

The ANA has its own educational programs that are already full outfitted with scholarships.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cccoins said:

Yes- Seth has been doing Instagram Live and posting videos showing the applicants’ original submitted videos to be considered for the program and then his live calls to them to tell them they were accepted to the program and then some just straight up coin discussions with some of the accepted YN. Really cool and it shows the hobby is alive and well. Seth is currently Mr. Instagram when it comes to our hobby.

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@cccoins said:

Yes- Seth has been doing Instagram Live and posting videos showing the applicants’ original submitted videos to be considered for the program and then his live calls to them to tell them they were accepted to the program and then some just straight up coin discussions with some of the accepted YN. Really cool and it shows the hobby is alive and well. Seth is currently Mr. Instagram when it comes to our hobby.

Nice - is there a list of winners somewhere?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

thank you for sharing the site.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic! I hope they can generate some interest in the hobby and the history, science and art that comes with it.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2021 2:50PM

That’s cool, how much dose it cost per person and we’re is it located? Is it a summer event kinda Like summer camp but for coins? Saw the article but it’s a lot of words and I am slow at reading so I am asking you guys.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2021 3:00PM
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seth is the man. Proud to know him

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file