Home Metal Detecting
Options

old toy soldier

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 19, 2021 6:39PM in Metal Detecting

They tore down an old house a block away and friend and i went over as all that's left is the lot which backs onto a forest . we pulled this out of the ground along with some pennies and nickles with his detector.. about .45 cents worth. am not sure what the soldier is made from but its old .. looks ww1-ww2 era . if someone can help that would be great..

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

I would expect it to be made of lead.

• Options

Thanks for the help.. its been over 3 yrs since we took out his detector and there are not many places here to use one other then a few old lots and the forest near us. sorry about the photo quality am using a nikon coolpix at the moment till can afford a better one.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those old toy soldiers were usually cast lead - just another opportunity for young kids to chew on and get lead poisoning. Neat old find. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 20, 2021 6:26PM

thanks.. its supposed to rain the next few days so hoping to get back to the lot in the next week or so .

• Options

washed up the pennies with a lil organic soap and water and used my fingers .. they seem to date between 1940 - 1970's.

• Options

The forties and fifties had a lot of those toy soldiers for kids... whole sets of them. So the coins and toy soldiers mesh. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! I, too. found an old lead soldier in my backyard
    Well, what was left of him. Still looking for the horse he rode in on!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Nice find! I, too. found an old lead soldier in my backyard
    Well, what was left of him. Still looking for the horse he rode in on!

That horse was probably mowed down in a battle. :)

• Options

maybe they got hungry and ate the horse ?

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    maybe they got hungry and ate the horse ?

A good horse like that you don't eat all at once.

• Options

neigh that wouldn't be good to eat all at once would it .

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to id and date that piece. Prussian cavalry guy? Very interesting. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know if this is old or new but it’s the only toy soldier or Indian that I have found

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to see real toys.
    Thank You !

• Options

glad you like em .. been in the hospital so i havent been able to get back to the lot yet

• Options

Looks like an old Indian toy... I do not think kids play with these anymore... never see them in stores either. Especially since lead is known to be toxic now, which is what most used to be made with. Nice find...Cheers, RickO

• Options

got back to the lot today and found a silver ring ( first ring ever found ) but am unsure what the black stone stripe is .. ill see if can load a photo in.