Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sick Nickel Help

I possess a very strange 2019 d Jefferson Nickel. I need opinions. Maybe ms 67+ but, all of the columns are cut at the same angle and the cut marks make up the design.

Comments

• My socks. Tee hee.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS67+??

In a word, no way. ;)

That is a "details" uncirculated coin at best. It has extensive damage on the obverse from a rolling machine.

I don't see what you are taking about when you say "columns are cut" but that coin is a dog that needs to be put to hard use in commerce.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the gouges show any raised metal around the edges then you can be assured it’s just damage only. You should be able to tell with a close look at the surface. Although it is very unlikely to be anything but damage from the looks of it.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

That obverse shows damage from an automatic rolling machine, unfortunately it is ruined numismatically, just go ahead and spend it.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • The damage looks purposeful don't you think.

• I meant civil opinions.

If it was purposeful it is still just damage, but in this case it is rolling machine damage. It is a common occurrance.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is a loooooong way from MS67+.

• I dont understand what is unique about this coin.

It has shininess, but what is unique?

Trying to learn.

Thank you.

@𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖒𝖚𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖔𝖗 said:
    I dont understand what is unique about this coin.

Trying to learn.

Thank you.

Don't spend too much time trying to figure it out. ;)

It's just pocket change. The heavy damage from the rolling machine is a little unusual but not unique.

• @JBK said:

@𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖒𝖚𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖔𝖗 said:

Trying to learn.

Thank you.

Don't spend too much time trying to figure it out. ;)

It's just pocket change. The heavy damage from the rolling machine is a little unusual but not unique.

Thank you.

I didn't get it.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Slappy46 said:
    I meant civil opinions.

Welcome.

If you really believe the comments you received were not civil, then you best recalibrate your sensitivity meter.

You can learn a lot from the folks here. Start with the assumption the people here are trying to be helpful and not insulting.

Hope you stick around and become a contributor to the Board.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting, nice coin.

Vplite99
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 1:16PM

@vplite99 said:

I don’t see a winky emoji in your post. Curiously, what do you find “nice” about the coin, beyond it being a damaged piece of change?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know it’s worth 5 cents.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc details wheelmark.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Slappy46.... Welcome aboard.... That is a Post Mint Damage (PMD) coin, worth five cents. No numismatic premium for damage to coins once they leave the Mint. Cheers, RickO

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum!

As you have found out, you can get quite a range of responses. You have come to the right place to get the answers... some of the hobby's best experts frequent this forum.

Keep on looking... there are many interesting coins out there to be found.

----- kj
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

spend it

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖒𝖚𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖔𝖗 said:

Trying to learn.

Thank you.

There is NOTHING unique about it. and the "shininess" is called LUSTER in these parts.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖒𝖚𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖔𝖗 said:

Trying to learn.

Thank you.

Slappy46 never claimed that it was unique. Just "sick." And "very strange."

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 9:42AM

On second thought, I guess a "sick" and "very strange" coin could be classified as somewhat unique. Call the doctor. Or a shrink. 👩‍⚕

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not 67+

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@vplite99 said:

I don’t see a winky emoji in your post. Curiously, what do you find “nice” about the coin, beyond it being a damaged piece of change?

If you wanted to buy something that was 4 cents and all you had was this coin, you'd probably think it pretty nice...

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTH happened? Another hammer :D

edited May 21, 2021 7:22AM

@CoinscratchFever said:

They lasted one day. I looked at their comments and I didn't see anything inflammatory.

I wonder if they were an alt.

• d9lowed9lowe Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭

Send it in for grading and keep us updated on the results!!

edited May 21, 2021 8:16AM

@CoinscratchFever said:

I case anyone is keeping track, here is what I think happened...

"collector" (written backwards) was banned on 5/17 (last active at 2:13), and "accumulator" joined on the same day less than an hour and a half later. I'll bet it was the same person.

Both IDs used a unique font that most of us would not have any idea how to create. ;)

@JBK said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

I case anyone is keeping track, here is what I think happened...

"collector" (written backwards) was banned on 5/17 (last active at 2:13), and "accumulator" joined on the same day less than an hour and a half later. I'll bet it was the same person.

Both IDs used a unique font that most of us would not have any idea how to create. ;)

And then we had urban decay A.k.a. the number of the beast which another forum member warned me about The fact that he was not actually a Yin and had been banned on other coin forms. He gone!
    Always interesting when somebody brings up an old thread then you can see all the past members that were banned.

edited May 21, 2021 1:38PM

Thx for the update. I did not know about UrbanDecay04 but I remember his rebranding here, with a long thread about his challenges. If he was not a YN then I wonder if any of it was true.

@JBK said:
    Thx for the update. I did not know about remember UrbanDecay04 and his rebranding here, with a long thread about his challenges. If he was not a YN then I wonder if any of it was true.

Well, if he was truly 16 and in school then he sure spent a lot of time here during school hours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file