Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a love token

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently acquired a couple of love tokens in gold and think they are really interesting especially the one done on a 1902 half eagle just because it was done in the 20th century. I never really got into exonumia but I guess part coin part exonumia peaks my interest more. Lets see what you guys got.

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Comments

• Options

Couple of nice ones on bust halves. They can't be the only ones. Lets see some more!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖒𝖚𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖔𝖗 said:
    I dont possess love tokens.

This is from the internet.

These are cool.

This are dog tags not love tokens, aren't they?

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 8:45AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖒𝖚𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖔𝖗 said:

These are cool.

This are dog tags not love tokens, aren't they?

They could be considered a love token, as sometimes given to make sure if killed in battle the body would be returned to the family. As well Lead coffin with a face window. To keep the body until returned and id,by family.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options

• Options

@𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖒𝖚𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖔𝖗 said:

These are cool.

Please be advised that I will no longer answer or post any replies to your post!
    My reasons are this is a very friendly bunch of folks! Most do understand that not everyone wants to a well known member. However our screen name is something that can be addressed in a post not a. Bunch of rectangular boxes with x 's in them. As for our avatars they are something that we hold dear or have a reason we have chosen the image. The letter "A" and boxes with X's in them is a message to me and perhaps to others that you"re hiding something? And or were a member at one time on CU that has been banned.
    I apologize but your choice to be so discrete triggers me to believe that you are hiding something! And as the rest of us are open to who we are, and whom we are posting to .
    I do understand that is your right to remain anonymous, and to my knowledge you haven't broken any rules, this forum has posted. But I am sure your choice of name and avatar has raised a few eye brows. Peace out!

• Options

@HalfDimeDude Nice looking ones on IHC's and that enameled pin is really cool.

• Options

@Kliao said:
    @HalfDimeDude Nice looking ones on IHC's and that enameled pin is really cool.

The enamelled pin has been sold years ago. The sailor is from the @lordmarcovan collection.
    The Otherson an IHC as host coins are some that I search out every show. As I do collect IHC ,halfdimes 5 cent coinage dimes and bust and seated coins.
    @lordmarcovan has had some sweet love tokens in and out of his electric box collection.
    As a friend and fellow collector I can assure you Rob is another member here and on other forums that you want to get to know!..... he and i both are very passionate about collecting and "FOOD!" not that theres anything wrong with that!

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I showed my wife...

And now she wants one ... initials don't need to match... lol

Very cool momento's of love

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

Wow. Very neat and good thing they filled off the obverse so the date and MM can be read.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JJSingleton said:
    A little something from Dahlonega. :)

I love and hate that one at the same time.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

These are great!!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I now have one more in my love token "collection"...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple repeats.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    coinz900coinz900 Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

Here's a picture of my 1878 $2 1/2 with the initials "FS" and the date "1886" inscribed. I bought this because FS are my initials.

Thinking of making a necklace out of it.

Frank Sawin
    18 Year Old Numismatist

• Options
    coinz900coinz900 Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

Here's another 1878 $2 1/2 love token that I bought at a coin show recently.

The initials inscribed are "MPS" or any other variation of the 3 initials.

Frank Sawin
    18 Year Old Numismatist

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much detailed work! I'll post some I've had the opportunity to work with. The neatest one I've seen and wish I had taken a picture of was a photograph on a $20 Lib, PCGS certified as Genuine. Saw the coin at the Bay State show and the dealer was looking for an explanation of how a photograph could appear on a coin without being stickered while knowing gold as a metal wouldn't do well receiving an image. I suggested someone silverplated the love token side and then put the coin inside a camera lens.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JazzmanJAB - that’s a nice array! Who doesn’t like gold, right? :)

@FrankH - that piece is AMAZING! I’ve never seen one like it! Got any backstory? The artist HAD to have been an engraver of currency plates, surely? That’s not your everyday folk art, there! It was a masterful hand that engraved that piece, no doubt.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

Matt Snebold

• Options

@Kliao said:
    I recently acquired a couple of love tokens in gold and think they are really interesting especially the one done on a 1902 half eagle just because it was done in the 20th century. I never really got into exonumia but I guess part coin part exonumia peaks my interest more. Lets see what you guys got.

Interesting how one of them has the initials CAC... maybe you should get it graded and send it to CAC? Perhaps a gold bean? :D

Young Numismatist

• Options

@HalfDimeDude said:

@𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖒𝖚𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖔𝖗 said:

These are cool.

Please be advised that I will no longer answer or post any replies to your post!
    My reasons are this is a very friendly bunch of folks! Most do understand that not everyone wants to a well known member. However our screen name is something that can be addressed in a post not a. Bunch of rectangular boxes with x 's in them. As for our avatars they are something that we hold dear or have a reason we have chosen the image. The letter "A" and boxes with X's in them is a message to me and perhaps to others that you"re hiding something? And or were a member at one time on CU that has been banned.
    I apologize but your choice to be so discrete triggers me to believe that you are hiding something! And as the rest of us are open to who we are, and whom we are posting to .
    I do understand that is your right to remain anonymous, and to my knowledge you haven't broken any rules, this forum has posted. But I am sure your choice of name and avatar has raised a few eye brows. Peace out!

This user's name is "accumulator" in a special font. Not all computers show unicode characters the same. Some may just show boxes.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple with gold initials added to bust halves.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@hummingbird_coins said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖒𝖚𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖔𝖗 said:

These are cool.

This user's name is "accumulator" in a special font. Not all computers show unicode characters the same. Some may just show boxes.

Yes I see boxes, which my reply is still the same....if I cannot see to whom I am talking to ?.....why am I having a conversation with?
    And I will also add why is this person posting specimens that are not theirs? I guess if no one can read your name they cant report you for copyright.
    Again if one has nothing to hide then one should stop and be friendly.
    https://tenor.com/view/close-encounters-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-close-encounters-gifs-friendly-gif-9484022

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jackpine20 said:

Ooh...almost pulled the trigger on this one!
    Was trying to find another coin from the seller to get the total above the numis tax CA threshold bit he didn't have anything else I wanted..😅

• Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

@jayPem I paid Wisconsin sales tax of 5%. I bet California’s is higher. About the coin, it is amazing! I couldn’t be more pleased. The eBay pictures were good, but in hand, it looks even better. I had an Air-Tite holder waiting when it arrived.

Matt Snebold

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jackpine20 said:
    @jayPem I paid Wisconsin sales tax of 5%. I bet California’s is higher. About the coin, it is amazing! I couldn’t be more pleased. The eBay pictures were good, but in hand, it looks even better. I had an Air-Tite holder waiting when it arrived.

Things like this don't show up on eBay so often and its exactly what I'm usually waiting around for...not sure what I wasn't thinking...😭
    Really happy to see it turn up here on the forum though! Always nice to know there are others here who appreciate great pieces like this...😄

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2021 7:55AM

My neighbors...

Like this one...

US Dime 1877 Love Token Owl

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Leave a Comment