Home U.S. Coin Forum

1921 Morgan Dollar question - New Collector - please forgive if this has been asked

Hi there,
I have been collecting for about 2 years, but too embarrassed to actually post anything because I am such a newbie. My mother has a 1921 Morgan Dollar she wanted me to find more information about, however, I am so confused when I try to research it.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me identify what type this is, and any idea if it was valued at the lower end level or more toward the $35 level?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

The low end these days is $25. That should be in the $35 range easily.

• Dnice8Dnice8 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Thank you! It doesn't have a mint on it, so I couldn't figure out how to search it. I really appreciate your response.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

No mint mark = Philadelphia, often referred to as P. Yours is not a stunning 1921 Morgan, but better than a low-end coin. $35 seems right for this one.

• Dnice8Dnice8 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Thanks so much for the kind welcome, as well as the advice. I have about 65 coins I want to have reviewed because I am not well-versed enough to know if they are worth holding onto at this time. For instance, I have 6 mercury dimes, 22 1982 pennies (the dates look different on 3), etc.

I am fairly certain they aren't worth much, but I'd like to know before I put them back in circulation, or give them to my nephews.

Would you guys recommend I take them somewhere local, or send them in a batch to a place like ANACS for appraisal?

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you are able to post clear photos you can get a good idea here. ;)

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your collecting. Show good photos of obverse and reverse for any coins you have questions about and you will receive some good information and hopefully no bad info. We have many quality collectors, dealers and numismatists on the forum that would offer help or suggestions as required.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dnice8 .... Welcome aboard... There are many skilled collectors here that can help you. Already you received excellent information on your Morgan dollar. If you post good, clear pictures of other coins, you will receive such input. It would not be worth bulk submitting to a service (expensive, and likely not resulting in treasures). You may have a great coin, no way to know for sure unless you post them for our evaluation. Cheers, RickO

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forum! Your 1921 Morgan Dollar looks to be in the XF to AU range and $35 seems about right for value.

You've definitely come to the right place to tap into the Brain Trust of Numismatics...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Dnice8 .
    That's a nice hunk of American silver and they're not making them anymore.
    Yes, feel free to post pics and ask questions but if you plan on making a go of this hobby, I recommend you get this book.
    It's readily available at all the usual places in stores or online.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file