Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just showed it to the wife who is next to me while I am reading the article. Asked her how many of these cards does she want us to buy at auction and she said all of them. 😉

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Just showed it to the wife who is next to me while I am reading the article. Asked her how many of these cards does she want us to buy at auction and she said all of them. 😉

SHES A KEEPER...

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a really impressive collection. disappointing that it has to be sold because the man died.

• bobbybradyjrbobbybradyjr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

My wife would ask why I don't have any of those cards that we could sell.😂

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanAllen said:
    Pretty amazing. Is it just me or does that Goudey Ruth have awfully narrow left and right borders?

at first glance, i thought the m101-4 did too...

my shoeless for comparison:

@76collector said:

@KendallCat said:

SHES A KEEPER...

She definitely is and thank you for the nice compliment. She has gone to about 6-7 Nationals with us until work schedule did not permit her to go the last couple of years. Never once has she asked how much did you spend on a Mantle or Aaron, and only time she busted my chops was when I sold my Cracker Jack Cobb 😄

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

@AlanAllen said:
    Pretty amazing. Is it just me or does that Goudey Ruth have awfully narrow left and right borders?

It does. Not the same comparison as the Joe Jackson. I don't even know what to believe anymore. The name of the game these days is "get the card in the holder".

@Vagabond said:

@AlanAllen said:

It does. Not the same comparison as the Joe Jackson. I don't even know what to believe anymore. The name of the game these days is "get the card in the holder".

theres a slight optic illusion w the tilt of the shoeless, but the difference in overall ltr border size is there.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 5:33AM

Interesting that this Mr. Mint Mantle wasn’t graded until 2013. Are most of the Mantles from that find in early flips? I guess people came around to the idea of grading at their own pace.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 7:20AM

The Babe is skinny and so are the borders. Awesome stuff. Was looking at some of his cards. WOW.

Very hard to judge the always tricky 80-30 centering these days. 🤣 same with cards that are centered 45-45 in a slab.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    This actually makes me feel sad in some ways. I don't want to be buried and my descendants hauling off grandpa's treasure to Kenny Goldin.

I want to package the last slab in a bubble envelope and then ride off into the sunset.

I know right. In another thread a guy has over 5,000, 86 Topps Traded, Barry Bonds cards. If something happens to him they will go straight to the LCS or auction.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • habs007habs007 Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

look forward to seeing the hockey cards in his collection - high end vintage l hope !

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanAllen said:

That was the first thought I had when I saw the card, too.

edited May 24, 2021 6:02AM

Seems a little harsh! You are making a lot of assumptions and he can't really defend himself.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 6:03AM

He died in January, he may have become ill before the vaccine was available.

• surfyfunsurfyfun Posts: 75 ✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@surfyfun said:

@Cakes said:
    Seems a little harsh! You are making a lot of assumptions and he can't really defend himself.

What I was really looking for when I found that article was how a 70+ year old doctor dies when he should have been among the very first humans to be eligible for a shot. Either an interesting/amusing story there about why he didn’t get one or a worrying story about how the shot didn’t work on him. We shall never know…

He died in January, he may have become ill before the vaccine was available.

Good point.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I loved reading about the Uncle Jimmy find. That is a collectors dream story, both how it came to be and how it was disclosed to the public.

This story/collection is simply another well off professional who had the means (and some foresight, of course) to buy quality stuff. I would imagine there are a fraction of Uncle Jimmy types compared to the flood of doctors, lawyers, professional athletes/celebrities and those who simply have much more money than the average collector at their disposal. Nothing against them, but it's a lot easier to build an amazing collection when you can buy the best.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

extremely poor taste, imo

>

no, you talking on behalf of his kids. i didnt even click your lil link, but to stomp on a dead man when he cant defend himself and then presume that even if his professional life wasnt up to par that he was a terrible father and his kids would say “dad who?” is a completely classless move. regardless what he did, he’s still their dad.

edited May 24, 2021 6:04AM

even if they did, thats nothing short than sad. you gloating or finding joy about it is cause for some serious mental concerns.

i hope though, if given the chance, theyd say the same about you. perhaps even worse.

@surfyfun said:

@blurryface said:

@surfyfun said:
    I would not at all be surprised to find it later confirmed his kids thought he was a giant turd as well.

im sure given the chance, theyd say the same about you. and probably worse.

I’m not thinking that’s so.

great.

@blurryface said:

@surfyfun said:

Worker’s comp fraud? Agreed. I have little doubt this guy was a turd.

no, you talking on behalf of his kids. i didnt even click your lil link, but to stomp on a dead man when he cant defend himself and then presume that even if his professional life wasnt up to par that he was a terrible father and his kids would say “dad who?” is a completely classless move. regardless what he did, he’s still their dad.

It's shows poor character to attack and make fun of someone who has died. I am not saying surly has poor character just that it shows poor character in that situation. Let the man rest in peace.

• surfyfunsurfyfun Posts: 75 ✭✭

@blurryface said:

@surfyfun said:

@blurryface said:

@surfyfun said:
    I would not at all be surprised to find it later confirmed his kids thought he was a giant turd as well.

im sure given the chance, theyd say the same about you. and probably worse.

I’m not thinking that’s so.

great.

yep

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 7:09AM

@surfyfun The CU board is for collectors.
    Save your classless commenting for social media

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning. I've amended a few of the recent quoted posts in this thread, but only deleted the comments of a certain member. It makes the conversation look a bit disjointed. Thank you for understanding.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

@AFLfan said:
    Good morning. I've amended a few of the recent quoted posts in this thread, but only deleted the comments of a certain member. It makes the conversation look a bit disjointed. Thank you for understanding.

no explanation needed for those that saw it.

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    This actually makes me feel sad in some ways. I don't want to be buried and my descendants hauling off grandpa's treasure to Kenny Goldin.

I want to package the last slab in a bubble envelope and then ride off into the sunset.

Honestly, when I sold my signed HOF rookies two+ years ago to buy my house, there was some relief in knowing I got max value and she wouldn't have to deal with it god forbid

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly, the way to handle these collections is to sell them while still alive. This Doc caught COVID and died unexpectedly so not on him, but who would expect a wife to keep around sports cards that are worth 8 figures?