Home Sports Talk
Options

Ryne Sandberg endorsing marijuana

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cubs great Ryne Sandberg says he uses marijuana to "take the edge off."

Ryne Sandberg is now a spokesman for a weed company, just started using regularly ‘to take the edge off’

Baseball Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg says he “didn’t really know anything” about marijuana until this year. And now the Chicago Cubs legend uses almost daily because he’s “looking for something to take the edge off.”

In what’s a rather out-of-nowhere celebrity weed endorsement, Sandberg has become a spokesman for the Chicago-based Verilife, which has dispensaries in several states.

Via the Chicago Tribune:

Sandberg, 61, whose All-American image and on-field heroics cemented his place in Cubs lore, is arguably one of the greatest second baseman in baseball history. He’s also one of the least likely celebrity endorsers of cannabis, having never tried weed until this year.

“I really didn’t know anything about it, I didn’t have any interest in it,” Sandberg said. “Now it’s every day sometimes as I’m looking for something to take the edge off.”

The 10-time All-Star has mainly gone with the gummies and tinctures so far.

After testing out products for a couple of months, Sandberg found his groove with low-dosage gummies and tinctures, employing a “low and slow” approach, which he uses for everything from pain relief to unwinding at night.

“Verilife has changed the way I view cannabis,” Ryne Sandberg said. “When I first visited a Verilife dispensary, the knowledgeable staff helped me understand how cannabis can enhance my active lifestyle. I want to share my personal story and help people feel more comfortable in learning more about the benefits of cannabis, hoping it will bring the same impact to their lives that I have experienced.”

Ryno will even have a meet-and-greet at a Chicago area Verilife location on May 23 (and he’ll apparently have more appearances at the dispensaries this summer). If you’re a Cubs fan and enjoy weed, here’s a special opportunity you probably never imagined coming:

Sandberg will appear in person to meet fans and share his experiences on May 23 at the Chicago River North Verilife location. This kicks off a series of special events featuring Sandberg in select Illinois Verilife dispensaries this summer. He will also appear in a Verilife marketing campaign, as well as on social media and a featured section on the dispensary website.

Sandberg’s post-playing career has included managing the Philadelphia Phillies (2013-15), and he’s currently a part-time Cubs television analyst for Marquee Sports Network.

The post Ryne Sandberg is now a spokesman for a weed company, just started using regularly ‘to take the edge off’ appeared first on The Comeback.

Comments

• Options

Interesting, I didn't realize weed is made in gummies now.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2021 2:36AM

He says he “Didn’t really know anything about it” but now he is spokesperson? LOL ok. Personally I haven’t smoked since July 1996! They got Vape, gummies, Joints and other stuff, so many people use it, young, old, professionals, ect. ect.. ect.. I got no problems with it at all it’s just not for me.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting. I guess I have never been to the point in life where I felt I needed to alter my reality to "take the edge off" I guess I have barely enough faculties when I am at 100 % that I don't want to lose any of them by being under the influence.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Take the edge off" whatever that means? I guess it means to take away the sharp edges of life and smooth things out?

I believe it's the highs and lows of life, perhaps call that the "edge", is what makes life interesting. If I'm at a low, the last thing I want to do is use a mind altering drug to mask the problem. I'd rather confront the problem and overcome it. To me that's the human spirit.

If I'm on a high in life, the last thing I want to do is use a mind altering drug to change the enjoyment. I want to be as clear headed as possible and take in all the fun.

Today's marijuana hustlers remind me of the tobacco industry of the 50's and 60's, touting cigarettes in various marketing ways and basically stating it's safe. Marijuana is NOT safe and there are numerous articles out there proving that. Of course none of these articles will be noted by the cannabis industry.

Perhaps Ryne Sandberg wishes to be the modern day Marlboro Man, who was the handsome guy in the old cigarette ads, riding a horse while smoking a cigarette. Probably made a truckload of money over the years playing that part.

Well the fact is the actor who played that part, died of lung cancer.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    He says he “Didn’t really know anything about it” but now he is spokesperson? LOL ok. Personally I haven’t smoked since July 1996! They got Vape, gummies, Joints and other stuff, so many people use it, young, old, professionals, ect. ect.. ect.. I got no problems with it at all it’s just not for me.

I agree. People have the right to choose what they want to do for themselves. However, I would tell young people that your body only needs water and protein. Find a good partner(or two), make sure you both get off, and take the 'edge' off in bed.

• Options

Take the edge off? If you want to or sort of feel like you have to do that, then why not take up an enjoyable hobby rather than pollute your body with mind altering drugs?

Might i suggest coin or card collecting? :)

• Options

@stevek said:
    Take the edge off? If you want to or sort of feel like you have to do that, then why not take up an enjoyable hobby rather than pollute your body with mind altering drugs?

I take the edge off all day long on ebay, and it's great. Heck, I'm wasted right now!

• Options

@stevek Charlie Conerly was a> @1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@perkdog said:

I agree. People have the right to choose what they want to do for themselves. However, I would tell young people that your body only needs water and protein. Find a good partner(or two), make sure you both get off, and take the 'edge' off in bed.

Agreed 10000% 🤟

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@perkdog said:

Young people especially, for various reasons, don't comprehend the damage they are doing to their bodies. Sometimes the damage is immediate such as an overdose and they die.

But there is always damage which adds up over the years causing illness and disease...it's only a question of when.

Everyone's DNA is different and some can tolerate mind altering drugs more than others. Unless it's truly for medicinal purposes, which the Ryne Sandberg promotion surely is not, then introducing a dangerous substance into your body that makes your heart beat a mile a minute, and your internal organs work overtime to filter it out and get rid of it, really is not a very good idea if you want to be as healthy as possible.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I recommend 1970s unopened baseball packs :) When I open a wax tray and that shrinkwrap comes off to expose the 3 packs nestled within, it's like releasing a time capsule and the smell of the gum comes right through the wax like it did 40 years ago. I inhale that scent like drugs.. :p

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean that quote in the article sounded almost legit. Kudos to the marketing guy for writing it.

Honestly, if I'm the dispensary, that's not the kind of endorsement I want. They should be pushing the pain relief angle, not the "I'm hooked and getting high every night" angle.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

I recommend 1970s unopened baseball packs :) When I open a wax tray and that shrinkwrap comes off to expose the 3 packs nestled within, it's like releasing a time capsule and the smell of the gum comes right through the wax like it did 40 years ago. I inhale that scent like drugs.. :p

Why the US Mint doesn't include gum in their proof sets, i'll never know.

:)

• Options
    edited May 15, 2021 10:49AM

It took some time, but I finally figured out how to search for the boxing cards again like I used to. I'm freakin' trashed right now man!

• Options

@stevek said:
    "Take the edge off" whatever that means? I guess it means to take away the sharp edges of life and smooth things out?

I believe it's the highs and lows of life, perhaps call that the "edge", is what makes life interesting. If I'm at a low, the last thing I want to do is use a mind altering drug to mask the problem. I'd rather confront the problem and overcome it. To me that's the human spirit.

If I'm on a high in life, the last thing I want to do is use a mind altering drug to change the enjoyment. I want to be as clear headed as possible and take in all the fun.

Today's marijuana hustlers remind me of the tobacco industry of the 50's and 60's, touting cigarettes in various marketing ways and basically stating it's safe. Marijuana is NOT safe and there are numerous articles out there proving that. Of course none of these articles will be noted by the cannabis industry.

Perhaps Ryne Sandberg wishes to be the modern day Marlboro Man, who was the handsome guy in the old cigarette ads, riding a horse while smoking a cigarette. Probably made a truckload of money over the years playing that part.

Ryno hasn't aged too well...he has a face for radio now.

• Options
    edited May 17, 2021 3:49PM

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

A healthy vice. Rip some packs, eat some POP TARTS, and go to the gym. Its all you need.

• Options
    edited May 17, 2021 3:50PM

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

A healthy vice. Rip some packs, eat some POP TARTS, and go to the gym. Its all you need.

Why did the word "pastry" get censored out?

• Options

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

It always amazes me how cannabis addicts justify their addiction. Many will say they're not addicted to it at all.

Why doesn't Sandberg just admit, he's got a problem with pain, used marijuana to help relieve it, and leave it at that. But no, he enjoys the high regardless of the consequences, and now has found a way to possibly make some good money off it by being an industry huckster.

As far as the pain, many typical pain symptoms from age, etc, can be relieved, sometimes reversed, and in a healthy way by a change in diet. Simply changing from inflammatory type foods to foods which help fight inflammation. It can make a world of difference...a healthy difference not a potentially harmful or fatal difference from getting addicted to pain killers.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

🙄 🤔 😜

• Options

@doubledragon threads can get wild on the weekends.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Its sad to hear that alot of kids today think that smoking pot is safe. Its anything but. It can cause many health problems.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you said, I was busy eating pastry.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find a good partner(or two), make sure you both get off, and take the 'edge' off in bed.

i just read this and i think i may be high now

• Options
    edited May 15, 2021 4:25PM

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you said, I was busy eating pastry.

Ok Double D. Just be careful with those cheese danishes, I don't want you getting sick and having to call into work on Monday ( at the Sports Talk Forum)

Edited to add, I forgot that you work from home, so don't worry about getting sick.

Mangia!!

• Options

• Options

I think this thread may some day find itself closed. . 😬🤷 I'm outta here. 😂

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Young people especially, for various reasons, don't comprehend the damage they are doing to their bodies. Sometimes the damage is immediate such as an overdose and they die.

But there is always damage which adds up over the years causing illness and disease...it's only a question of when.

Everyone's DNA is different and some can tolerate mind altering drugs more than others. Unless it's truly for medicinal purposes, which the Ryne Sandberg promotion surely is not, then introducing a dangerous substance into your body that makes your heart beat a mile a minute, and your internal organs work overtime to filter it out and get rid of it, really is not a very good idea if you want to be as healthy as possible.

My honest thought process is I think people, normal healthy people that is can get away with abusing their bodies within reason in their teens through their thirty’s, the problems really come into play if you continue to abuse your body in your forty’s.

• Options

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

this mirrors my thoughts on drug use to a T. Alcohol as well. I have never used or wanted to use either. I have also seen first hand the pain and agony that abuse can cause a person. just not worth getting hooked. plus, I really enjoy life as it is. I don't need any edge taking off at all.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

My honest thought process is I think people, normal healthy people that is can get away with abusing their bodies within reason in their teens through their thirty’s, the problems really come into play if you continue to abuse your body in your forty’s.

Overall, I don't disagree with ya.

Two things to add:

1. We could all name a number of rock stars, movie stars, and others who died from too much drug use in their 20's and 30's. Others used more drugs and survived. And others used less drugs and fatally OD'd. I guess it's a game of Russian roulette of sorts.

2. My high school was a plague for amphetamines. I've never used an amphetamine in my life. However in high school, perhaps almost any high school, most everyone knows who are in the drug crowd, the drinking crowd, etc. For me, i was in the drinking crowd. Some years ago for whatever reason, i would google somebody from high school and sometimes find an obituary. Every single one of them who i found in an obituary, was in the drug crowd, kicked off in their 40's or 50's. Statistically that is not a coincidence in my view. I believe it is a fact about what drug use in high school can do to you in later life. For some at least, the negative effects at an early age must be permanent. Yes, on the calendar they were only 40 or 50 years old when they died, but their internal organs may have been the equivalent of someone 100 years old from all the wear and tear of drug use.

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Overall, I don't disagree with ya.

Two things to add:

1. We could all name a number of rock stars, movie stars, and others who died from too much drug use in their 20's and 30's. Others used more drugs and survived. And others used less drugs and fatally OD'd. I guess it's a game of Russian roulette of sorts.

2. My high school was a plague for amphetamines. I've never used an amphetamine in my life. However in high school, perhaps almost any high school, most everyone knows who are in the drug crowd, the drinking crowd, etc. For me, i was in the drinking crowd. Some years ago for whatever reason, i would google somebody from high school and sometimes find an obituary. Every single one of them who i found in an obituary, was in the drug crowd, kicked off in their 40's or 50's. Statistically that is not a coincidence in my view. I believe it is a fact about what drug use in high school can do to you in later life. For some at least, the negative effects at an early age must be permanent. Yes, on the calendar they were only 40 or 50 years old when they died, but their internal organs may have been the equivalent of someone 100 years old from all the wear and tear of drug use.

Ofcourse those are very valid points

• Options

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2021 6:39PM

i've made a host of imprudent decisions in my lifetime, but partaking of illegal drugs has never been one of them. i did, however, have some friends in high school who were hardcore trippers. some didn't amount to much. some didn't amount to anything at all, if you catch my drift. i'll never forget one time a good friend of mine put a drug-soaked patch underneath his eyelid and went berserk whenever he saw a certain color (i think it was green). LSD, i presume. it was easily the most asinine thing i had ever seen. it's weird, but i'm grateful -- that one single incident led me down the path that i ultimately chose.......and stuck to.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey guys... Let's cool off on the POP TARTS comments. This is a family show.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

You guys know Gatewood Galbraith? He ran for GOV-KY a few times and actually met him while at UK in the early-2000s. His signature issue was legalization of marijuana but I reckon the dude was WAY ahead of his time...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatewood_Galbraith

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@stevek said:

Or even better, retro video game collecting...or even better still, raise some kitties! :blush:

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Estil said:

@stevek said:

Or even better, retro video game collecting...or even better still, raise some kitties! :blush:

We don't raise cats...they raise us. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@Estil said:

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@Estil said:

@stevek said:

Oh yeah...dogs have owners, cats have staff :blush:

WISHLIST