Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Heritage vs Stacks

I have a 10 gold coin collection estimated 30-50k by both Stacks and Heritage I am looking to auction, with both offering same deal on fees, etc. The collection is made of Mexico colonial and republic. What's your opinion on auction house able to get the most out of my coins? I'v read Stacks has better photographs, but those comments I read may be outdated. My first instinct is to go with Heritage but not sure.

While I have you, I also was looking to potentially auction these three 8R, what do you think these will grade and would you think they warrant grading and/or an auction?
https://imgur.com/a/E4o5HKH

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2021 4:14PM

I would pick Stacks as your coins are less likely to be buried in internet session 13.

On the 8Rs that is some
    nasty PVC. Get those cut out of the flips and get them in some acetone.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stacks, IMO. Much better customer service and if you're not getting 5% or less commission, you should.

That's a nice group of 8Rs, minus the PVC green monster on that last flip. 83 Guanajuato looks pretty gemmy. I especially like the 64 Oaxaca. My second favorite eagle after the pre-1842 Zacatecas. There are a few people on these forums that could make you offers on the 8Rs or if buy them out right if you have a price in mind. You can do that through the BST forum or send me a private message ;)

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage has a better platform. Stacks has better catalogers.

Heritage for easy to understand, self-explanatory items. Stacks for items that need a good story to sell or anything not run-of-the-mill.

For what it’s worth, I should note that Stacks is the successor firm of Ponterio & Associates which appears to be where you bought (some?) of those coins.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    I would pick Stacks as your coins are less likely to be buried in internet session 13.

On the 8Rs that is some

3 of them are higher end coins (20k, 8k), would You still feel the same way?

• Options

@pruebas said:
    Heritage has a better platform. Stacks has better catalogers.

Heritage for easy to understand, self-explanatory items. Stacks for items that need a good story to sell or anything not run-of-the-mill.

For what it’s worth, I should note that Stacks is the successor firm of Ponterio & Associates which appears to be where you bought (some?) of those coins.

I think most of My coins are self explanatory except maybe an 8 escudos Guadalupe y Calvo which even the cataloguers are giving are lowbballing IMO.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Stacks, IMO. Much better customer service and if you're not getting 5% or less commission, you should.

That's a nice group of 8Rs, minus the PVC green monster on that last flip. 83 Guanajuato looks pretty gemmy. I especially like the 64 Oaxaca. My second favorite eagle after the pre-1842 Zacatecas. There are a few people on these forums that could make you offers on the 8Rs or if buy them out right if you have a price in mind. You can do that through the BST forum or send me a private message ;)

That Oaxaca I saw an auction for 6k, obviously on better condition, but have no feel on price since I got a $150-450 from both houses. Same thing on others, I just am not too familiar with 8 reales, nor have any of the books. What do You think of the condition of the coin's (outside the one with PVC) ?

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1E7PV/mexico-oaxaca-8-reales-1864-ofr-ngc-ms-67-wings-approved

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jpaquequo said:

@Boosibri said:

On the 8Rs that is some

Probably would still go with Stacks but if you have 10 coins with total value $30-50k and three are worth $36k ($20+8+8) the. Are the others quite low value?

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@Jpaquequo said:

@Boosibri said:

On the 8Rs that is some

Probably would still go with Stacks but if you have 10 coins with total value $30-50k and three are worth $36k ($20+8+8) the. Are the others quite low value?

Well I was over sinplifying, one is 15-20, one 5-8, the other 4-7, the rest are 2-5 and maybe just 2x their gold value. I think I am leaning Stacks, but Heritage's attention has been superb to this point. I much prefer Stacks descriptions, but I can't tell who has the largest audience.

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I'm going to guess that Heritage being the larger company probably has the larger audience. Which site do serious Mexico collectors go to more? Probably both. Did both companies offer you the same commission? Do you get to choose which auction they appear in? Will the auction location and time of year make a difference for your coins?

• Options

@FilamCoins said:
    I'm going to guess that Heritage being the larger company probably has the larger audience. Which site do serious Mexico collectors go to more? Probably both. Did both companies offer you the same commission? Do you get to choose which auction they appear in? Will the auction location and time of year make a difference for your coins?

Thanks for the response. Same commision and they'll be in the same auction, so I think it's really auction house vs auction house .

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Summer can be a difficult time to get the best results (at least that was my experience pre-pandemic)