Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FYI eBay Sellers

JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is not for everyone... but just wanted sellers to know.
I tried bidding on a coin earlier tonight and was blocked (supposed buyer limit on my account).
I contacted eBay and they said it was an issue on their end that is being worked on.
Anyway, if bidders are not getting through, then your coins ending tonight (or until the issue is fixed) may get stuck at the current bid placed before the problem or otherwise be subjected to limited bidding activity.
Geez...

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the "heads-up"

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

So you're saying there may be some deals to be had out there? :smiley:

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Issues like this and ebay throttling are why I will never do ebay auctions again!

• Options

Same issue again tonight - although this time they were apparently protecting me from myself (overbuying, etc.)!!!
    Even though my bid was about 20% less than recent realized prices, have 100% feedback rating, never have not paid for a purchase, and have bought items at 5x the bid I was trying to place.
    I wonder how many last minute bidders get hit with this, and thus sellers don't realize the actual top bid that would have been placed....

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimW said:
    Same issue again tonight - although this time they were apparently protecting me from myself (overbuying, etc.)!!!
    Even though my bid was about 20% less than recent realized prices, have 100% feedback rating, never have not paid for a purchase, and have bought items at 5x the bid I was trying to place.
    I wonder how many last minute bidders get hit with this, and thus sellers don't realize the actual top bid that would have been placed....

I've never had it happen to me. And I've never had a would-be buyer say that it happened to them. Are you sure this is a more widespread problem than just your account?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidding on and off all evening and not seeing any problems

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Issues like this and ebay throttling are why I will never do ebay auctions again!

What is "eBay throttling"?

• Options

Your listings visibility is metered. Sometimes folks can see your listings and sometimes not. From my experience it's regional. You can go awhile and not sell anything....then bam bam bam you sell several items within an hour and they are from the same region. Google it and I'm sure you will find a lot of testimony if not irrefutable fact!

@Davideo said:

@amwldcoin said:

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Your listings visibility is metered. Sometimes folks can see your listings and sometimes not. From my experience it's regional. You can go awhile and not sell anything....then bam bam bam you sell several items within an hour and they are from the same region. Google it and I'm sure you will find a lot of testimony if not irrefutable fact!

@Davideo said:

@amwldcoin said:

Conspiracy at it's finest. "And if it's posted on the internet...it must be true."

I've never encountered anything resembling it in over 20 years, selling & buying on ebay. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Think what you may but it's a well know practice. In ebay's defense just look at the shear volume of listings, it's probably the only way any system could handle it.

@OPA said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Davideo said:

@amwldcoin said:

Conspiracy at it's finest. "And if it's posted on the internet...it must be true."

I've never encountered anything resembling it in over 20 years, selling & buying on ebay. B)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 6:07AM

Yes amwld would agree. I have often wondered what’s going on. I need retail sales (ideally cost plus 50-100 pct) make the biz model work. At times it’s like somebody turned the faucet off. Putting stuff out at auction basically giving it away does not work. My auction sales (did about 20 this month needing cash flow) brought cost plus 7 pct does not even pay the costs to sell there. The few retail sales I had at least floated my boat above that. Either it’s the summer doldrums or they are doing something choking my biz.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

🔍👀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimW said:

I've never had it happen to me. And I've never had a would-be buyer say that it happened to them. Are you sure this is a more widespread problem than just your account?

IDK, I am guessing they apply some algorithm, so I assume it is affecting other people. It just doesn't make sense.
    I am not a big money buyer, but have bought several items in the $300-600 range and last year a coin for about $1100.
    Last night, I was not allowed to place a bid for even $200 (was testing to see if it would let me do a lower bid than what I wanted to submit) on a coin with current bid around $175.... that in the end will go for $275-300...

• Options
    1peter12231peter1223 Posts: 73 ✭✭

Many of the mega sellers have had sales impacted by the Wayfair Supreme Court ruling AND Covid pandemic .
    Would not surprise me if they from time to time find a way to boost the sales of their mega sellers .

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 4:25PM

@1peter1223 said:

Many of the mega sellers have had sales impacted by the Wayfair Supreme Court ruling AND Covid pandemic .
    Would not surprise me if they from time to time find a way to boost the sales of their mega sellers .

It wouldn't surprise me if you steal money from the collection plate at church. On the other hand, making accusations without evidence on the internet is hardly admirable.

And how is preventing him from buying something helping any seller?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    On the other hand, making accusations without evidence on the internet is hardly admirable.

Seems to be popular at times 'round these parts, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file