Home U.S. Coin Forum

Definitely an unusual (and impractical) slab.

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 13, 2021 11:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was given this odd slab as a gift and received it in the mail today. There's some info on sampleslabs.com: https://www.sampleslabs.com/dcgs.html, but not much. I see a number of problems with this design, some of which are also noted on sampleslabs.com:

• The feet are molded into the slab, so they can't be removed or folded. This makes it impossible to stack multiple slabs, and also difficult to photograph since you can't lay the slab flat.
  • While I like the way the obverse side of the coin 'pops' the coin out so you can see the edge, this feature creates a deep opening on reverse side through which to view and photograph the coin.
  • The slab is also really tall.

If you have any DCGS slabs, please post them!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Though if you alternate top to bottom would they stack?

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin....Goofy slab...As for the name....DCGS? Seriously?

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It subliminally suggests "DOGS"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone could perfect a slab with a swivel foot attachment that could be pretty neat. Just not a permanent stand.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! Impractical, as you said, but unique.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the stand was removable I'd be all over it.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before opening the thread, DCGS was my first guess.
    It is pretty impractical but does have one benefit: you can put it on your bookshelf or desk without any other stands/support.

I believe they were also one of the first companies where you could see the edge of the coin (although it does create the issue you mentioned with the reverse).

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is somewhat different than the one in the original post (particularly the reverse label).

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting how the coin sticks out of it @U1chicago

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. It reminds me of how some guy on eBay displays his slabbed coins, only he uses a removable stand that works with any holder. Here’s an example, I wonder where he gets those stands 🤔

Mr_Spud

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those little feet would be ground off with a little rotary tool action.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,...
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might work,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be good for special coins to be displayed on desk or shelf. The website is no longer active. Cheers, RickO

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Those little feet would be ground off with a little rotary tool action.

No way. Those feet are what makes it special.

Like the old Pez dispensers. :p

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty nice.

• Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Interesting. It reminds me of how some guy on eBay displays his slabbed coins, only he uses a removable stand that works with any holder. Here’s an example, I wonder where he gets those stands 🤔

I got a whole box of them from one of the Numismatic suppliers on eBay, cheap!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file