Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo 3 1/2 leggers

These are my 3 1/2 legger buffs I have cherried over the years. Now that the 1926-D 3 1/2 legger is in the Greysheet maybe the 1917-D will follow.

What do you all think?

1917-D 3 1/2 legs #1

1917-D 3 1/2 legs #2

1917-D 3 1/2 legs #3

1926-D 3 1/2 legs #1

1926-D 3 1/2 legs #2

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

All should be listed. The downside of that, of course, is increased dealer awareness for these.

• Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Well most of these I found in dealer stock except when I roll the dice on Ebay. I think most dealers will still not care and stick with the varieties that have been around for 50-75 years. Most of them state that they dont have the time to search, which is good for me!!!

• Options

Good for all cherrypickers!

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    All should be listed. The downside of that, of course, is increased dealer awareness for these.

As a dealer.

We don't have time to check them all.
    Pick away!

• Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Yeah I need to find some higher grade examples.

• Options

Finding any of those better than fine is a real challenge, Tony. The only one that's usually found in better grades is the 1913 Var 1 and it's very tough to find in ANY grade. High grade and Mint state coins are more common than low grade examples.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do these bring any premium when sold or are they strictly cherry-picker material?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have many Buffs....raw and 2x2 and slabs... Have checked for two feathers, but have not done a serious search for 3.5 leggers.... another rainy day project...(that list is getting long :D ). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2021 9:10AM

Better pics:

Pete

Note how little of the horn shows for a VF coin.
    A perfect example of a coin showing "Overall Wear".

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Most of the 1917-D 3 1/2 legged coins were struck with absent detailing at the front of the bison's head, including an incomplete horn so they will appear to have a much stronger obverse than a reverse (but note the lack of detail in the lower half of the uppermost feather on the obverse corresponding area.) I cherried an AU shortly after they were reported that had only 2/3 of a horn.

These can be sold for a premium in all grades tho anything below fine can be a tough sell. Higher grade coins have sold for very impressive premiums.

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have many Buffs....raw and 2x2 and slabs... Have checked for two feathers, but have not done a serious search for 3.5 leggers.... another rainy day project...(that list is getting long :D ). Cheers, RickO

There are seven possible dates to examine-1913 Var 1, 1916-D, 1917-D, 1926-D, 1927-D, 1936-D, and, of course the 1937-D, which isn't really cherrypickable (tho I've cherried two over a period of many years. (Special circumstances were involved in both.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file