Found this in a Walking Liberty folder I purchased roughly three years ago:

Comments

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

I nevery have

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice DDR there.

I actually cherry-picked one of my own auctions! I had a flying eagle cent that I thought was damaged. I put it on ebay for sale. I did some research on FE's when it was up for sale. On the last day of the auction, I found out that it was the clashed die variety and not damaged at all, with a clash from a seated liberty coin. I then ended the sale and kept the coin, I still have it.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is a cream for that at walgreens :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 8:50AM

No. But I put myself on IGNORE one time.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the last few years I’ve found an 1864 small motto 2c and a 1956 Type 1 reverse proof Franklin that I didn’t know I had.
    Bought them as normal and then “discovered” them a few years later.
    Had to go buy another ‘56 proof so I could complete my set :smiley:

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Superbird up there!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 9:40AM

yes. many times. mostly because i buy all over the board and to memorize/recall ALL that data is beyond me. so i use some good fortune, hard work and a crazy amount of books/sheets/searching to compensate.

i'm sure i still miss plenty.

A lot of my best finds have came this way.

@Connecticoin - really nice find there.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just found these two-feathers in a small lot of buffs that I had laying around.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to the best of my recollection.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... not yet..... But I keep trying. :D I will see something posted here and think "Wow, I have a lot of 'those coins', maybe I have one of the 'special' ones.... Go search and find I do not have one... but, it gets me into some of my old storage boxes.... :D One day, I will find something.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately Yes..... just a week ago I was going through some stuff to take to a coin show.
    I found 1.5 rolls of 2001 p kennedy half dollars. These were released in I believe if my memory serves me in 2008 in bags of $100 $50/$50 P & D's also in $10 rolls.
    Something told me have a look see before taking the roll to the show.
    I found 3 ear clashes Kennedy halfs!
    Personally I believe that cherrypicking is something some have the abilities to just see what others don't see. And even good pickers arent always in tune with a certain series.
    Meaning that like the game where Waldo... I have 2 dealer friends who are very experienced in the hobby but lack the abilities to catch a variety.
    Both have been dealers for years....1 I picked an 1847 seated quarter mpd that was in your face sort of variety....not something that you had to study any amount of time.
    However I am much better at type series of cherry picking that modern coinage.
    Working shows over the years I have many times gone to a dealer friend and said...." there's a lot more meat on that bone" and have recieved a reply " I thank you for your help, but its a $150 coin and who ever gives me that can have it for that price!"
    They just have no interest in varieties and any premium they may have.
    Lastly I am not a Washington Quarters collector, as such the varieties need to jump off the coin in order for me to find them.... I mostly attribute that because my lack of interest in that series.
    So I guess we all either learn what to look for and train our eye to see....or it just fades in with the other details on the coin.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, only others. I’ve tried though! I only buy single items and know what I am buying at the time of purchase.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2021 9:23PM

Pulled this out of my Washington Dansco. Before that, it came out of a PCGS straight graded slab. Had no idea it was there!

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just selling off odds and ends in this firestorm of a market has felt like cherry picking.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet. But I hope to some day... I've got plenty of things to go through. I like seeing other people's finds though.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 5:57AM

Have you every cherrypicked yourself?

Yes, quite a few times, thanks to this forum.

I spend a lot of my time search old threads here, finding and seeing a lot of things I never knew existed. It seems like I'm constantly double checking and going back thru my albums and boxes of 2x2's, looking for things I see and talked about here on the forum. I guess mostly variety stuff and errors.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

No, but I rarely care enough to look. I tried, but found my eyesight wasn't good enough to tell them apart, I suppose. It wasn't worth the effort, frustration and eye strain. Was looking for wide AM cents.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I have.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2021 4:13PM

Grading Results are IN:

PCGS MS64 (from folder purchased three years ago, the coin in the OP):

PCGS MS63 (from another folder purchased a year ago):

PCGS MS63 (ebay cherrypick, cost $130):

I actually thought the middle one should grade 64 and the first would grade less due to more muted luster. Go figure.

The first one was with an economy submission, while the other two went regular. Sometimes I wonder if that makes a difference, but have not really seen any pattern on comparable coins.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, on at least 3 occasions. Favorite is the 47 S/S Washington quarter. Second are the type B reverse quarters I have found. The most expensive one, I sold. It was a rare Canadian cent variety that I got out of a lot. I didnt even realize what it was until I posted it here!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file