Home Precious Metals

Finally Friday! Let's see that new heavy metal

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 7, 2021 5:11AM in Precious Metals

I've been wanting one of these ever since missing out on buying them directly from the Mint a few years back.
Feel free to share your new purchases this week.

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 5:37AM

Nice, mine is still in the mint packaging. This walked into the bar the other day. Already have a roll but a buddy was making pendant necklaces with these and had an extra one.

The shmootz on the S was on the capsule.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing for me this week.

Well, there was this one thing:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that gold SLQ.... Did not get one of those..... stacked instead. ;) Cheers, RickO

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    I have one of those gold SLQs. They are really sharp!

These are last weeks arrivals.

Just curious... Are you paying crazy premiums for the silver? I haven't been able to talk myself into it for like 2 months.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not ASE premiums, but yes...there are premiums attached to these. I’ll be the first to admit, I’m terrible at stacking silver. That is why I went to gold. I am much more disciplined in my gold purchases, where as with silver...I make a lot of impulse buys.
    This is the type of silver I like though....aged with patina.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 11:08AM

Makes sense... I'm the same way. I was pretty lopsided heavy on silver so it's been an easy transition to fractional gold purchases lately. I guess I'm paying a premium either way but at least I'm getting closer to evening out the two.
    I do miss the relatively cheap and more frequent impulse purchasing of small amounts of silver though.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:

@Downtown1974 said:
    I have one of those gold SLQs. They are really sharp!

These are last weeks arrivals.

Just curious... Are you paying crazy premiums for the silver? I haven't been able to talk myself into it for like 2 months.

No, The recent 20oz engelhard was a $1 over spot at $27.25...then spot went up a little while it was in transit from the private party seller.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss is this a second one you found?
    If memory serves me correctly, you had a similar bar. Also a very nice box to do display it.
    Quite rare from what I remember.

@Downtown1974 said:
    If memory serves me correctly, you had a similar bar. Also a very nice box to do display it.

Good memory! That first one was a 24 lạng, clocking in at 30 troy ounces. I stole that one, because Heritage didn't use anything for scale and it was mixed in with dozens of tiny bars. Or maybe nobody wanted it. I paid $480 with the juice :D

This one I actually paid a premium for, but not much considering. Heritage called it "cleaned". I mean, yeah, maybe. But it's a 150 year old bar of bullion. I'm not sure "cleaning" really matters.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • That "cleaned" bar is really pretty. I love the Asian marks on it. 150 years old? Really nice! I bet that looks awesome on display. 😁

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@Downtown1974 said:

Good memory! That first one was a 24 lạng, clocking in at 30 troy ounces. I stole that one, because Heritage didn't use anything for scale and it was mixed in with dozens of tiny bars. Or maybe nobody wanted it. I paid $480 with the juice :D

I remember that also I think, and I am happy that you decided to keep it. And now it has a nice friend! I like it.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Nobody is gonna take my thirst bait and ask what the hell that silver bar is? :'(

I actually found the Heritage page for it to see what it was :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@Kliao said:

@Weiss said:
    Nobody is gonna take my thirst bait and ask what the hell that silver bar is? :'(

I actually found the Heritage page for it to see what it was :)

I left the Heritage tag so that the curious could look into it :)

I know Heritage has limitations on what they can and can't photograph or show online. But I think in this instance, they did the equivalent of trying to auction a silver dollar by showing nothing but the edge.

--Severian the Lame
  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 11:07AM

@Weiss said:
    I know Heritage has limitations on what they can and can't photograph or show online. But I think in this instance, they did the equivalent of trying to auction a silver dollar by showing nothing but the edge.

Sounds like your complaining a bit
    (insert rolling on the ground laughing emoticon)

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

I really the Standing Liberty gold! It's a great design that looks even better in gold than it does in silver. <3

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

That picture is how Heritage auctioned it. This is what it actually looks like:

Annam (Vietnam) Nguyen Dynasty silver 10 Lang Bar (1841-1883), Opitz-pg. 33. 113x32mm. 378.88gm.

That's really beautiful in and of itself. Artistic curve.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• alexercaalexerca Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    I've been wanting one of these ever since missing out on buying them directly from the Mint a few years back.
    Feel free to share your new purchases this week.

I have several of all three. The mercury dime isn't as nice as the other two!

• alexercaalexerca Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

I bought one of these 2 days ago. Will pick it up in Missoula next week. I always wanted a mint set!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alexerca.... Those gold Buffs make a really nice set. Cheers, RickO

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this earlier this year, but I think it qualifies as “Heavy Metal”

It's all about what the people want...

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    @LukeMarshall Sweet 100oz! B)

Thanks Ashland,
    All Engelhard featured a picture I provided with a mention... the first bars of this series (low serials) were stamped w/ Engelhard in the middle of the bar before being moved to the top.

I think it has something to do with the pour divot in the center of many of the bars this series, making for weak/muted hallmarks when trying to stamp the in the middle.

It's all about what the people want...

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

Bought it back in March - always have liked fractional silver….