Home Sports Talk
Options

Pujols designated for assignment

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

it appears the end of an era is here.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

This season and last season he was not doing so well. But this is still a shocker to me. Pujols is my choice for the greatest hitter of the 21st century (so far).

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if a LaRussa/Pujols reunion is on the horizon?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2021 3:59PM

Iconic player but honestly I’m shocked he hadn’t retired yet. I didn’t even know he was still hanging around

• Options

didnt it come out a few years ago that pujols was a couple of years older than he said he was?

• Options

@craig44 said:
    didnt it come out a few years ago that pujols was a couple of years older than he said he was?

I don’t even think Pujols even knows how old he is lol

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

“We’re all told at some point that we can no longer play the children’s game. We just don’t know when that’s gonna be. Some of us are told at 18, some of us are told at 40, but we’re all told.”

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Iconic player but honestly I’m shocked he hadn’t retired yet. I didn’t even know he was still hanging around

I don't follow baseball very closely, and I apparently haven't been paying attention, because I thought the same exact thing when I read this.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was one of those retired guys that still go into the old office to pick up his pension checks.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

Who in there right mind would pick him up< He can't hit his way out of a paper bag anymore.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was sad to see Pujols leave the Cardinals but I would have been furious if the Cardinals had paid him a quarter billion dollars to stay. Pujols' career path since joining the Angels is pretty much exactly what everyone but the Angels expected.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Tough to walk away from guaranteed money. At this point, recognize father time, and move on to the next stage of life. He's a 1st ballot HOFer, 2 WS rings, 3 MVPs, and one of the best ever, and nothing more to prove.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken Rosenthal just said on FS1 that Pujols has signed with THE DODGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options

strange signing. I heard that the reason he was dfa with the angels was a lack of playing time. then he signs with the Dodgers to basically be a pinch hitter? weird.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    strange signing. I heard that the reason he was dfa with the angels was a lack of playing time. then he signs with the Dodgers to basically be a pinch hitter? weird.

Exactly my thoughts. How long will Big Albert hang around for? He must love everything about being on a team because he really should be retired and enjoying himself or at least be on a pre game show or something

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Really odd signing. I like Albert and I hope he doesn't continue to hit .198.

• Options

yeah, its too bad because he has really been destroying his rate stats for the last 5 or 6 seasons.

of course, if I was playing out a 30MM/year contract, you better believe I wouldn't care less what my OPS+ was

at all.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 6:30PM

@Alfonz24 said:
    He was one of those retired guys that still go into the old office to pick up his pension checks.

I know a guy like that. He always gets hugs and kisses from the secretaries. I think that's why he keeps going back.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

Just another money sucker IMO.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the Dodgers put him in the lineup last night and he got an RBI single.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Dodgers are all sorts of banged up. Good signing. And here’s the funny part? He’s a victim of his own success. Most people say he’s all washed up and yet almost everyone (fan or player) would take a player on their team who put up the stats he did in his last full season.

55 R, 24 HR, 93 RBI, .244 AVG

Even last year, his numbers over 120 games would have been close to 24 HR and 75 RBI.

Point to ponder.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    The Dodgers are all sorts of banged up. Good signing. And here’s the funny part? He’s a victim of his own success. Most people say he’s all washed up and yet almost everyone (fan or player) would take a player on their team who put up the stats he did in his last full season.

55R over the 131 games is terrible. And the .734 OPS he put up is even worse.

• Options

@Tabe said:

55R over the 131 games is terrible. And the .734 OPS he put up is even worse.

You can certainly figure that number to have a chance to have been higher as in 2019, he’d almost certainly have been pulled for pinch hitters after hits in the 7th inning or later.

Terrible OPS for Pujols; the league averag for that year (2019) was .758.

His mark means he was just below league average but the way an average works means there were plenty of guys lower, too, the the highest guys are over 1.000.

Again, there can be a spot for an anonymous player with those numbers to come off the bench. With the fact that he costs nothing? Seems like a no brainer for a really banged up team...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Terrible for anybody that's a DH/1B. If your DH/1B is hitting below league average OPS, he's a terrible hitter.

• Options

@Tabe said:

Terrible for anybody that's a DH/1B. If your DH/1B is hitting below league average OPS, he's a terrible hitter.

I agree that it is not ideal. However, I’m saying you have to do something to stay afloat given this:

Less than 50 games into the 2021 season, and the Dodgers have nearly doubled last season's total.

As of today's date, injuries have made 18 players miss a total of 420 days on the IL, totaling over $11 million in salary to injured players.

The biggest blow of course was the announcement on April 5 that 2019 National League MVP Cody Bellinger was going on the IL with a hairline fracture to his left fibula. Bellinger suffered the injury while trying to beat out an infield single in a 10-3 victory over the Oakland Athletics just five games into the season.

Recently, more big names have gone down with injuries. Dodgers' fifth starter Dustin May underwent Tommy John surgery and is out for the season. Edwin Rios, who struggled to start the season, underwent shoulder surgery and is also out of the year. Last Friday, AJ Pollock re-aggravated his left hamstring injury, and less than 24 hours later, the Dodgers were dealt the most devastating injury of them all when reigning World Series MVP Corey Seager was hit by a pitch and fractured a finger in his right hand.

• Options

@Tabe

If he’s their starting 1B for 130 games they’re in trouble. I agree 100%.

Still, they’re bleeding right now. He’s still a major league ready bat and could be a nice reserve/pinch hitter as more players return from injury.

• Options

yet almost everyone (fan or player) would take a player on their team who put up the stats he did in his last full season.

To be clear, I was responding to the above comment from you regarding Pujols. I don't agree. I think most fans would be disappointed if their full-time DH/1B put up numbers like that. Maybe he helps the Dodgers get over the hump a little bit but, let's be honest, their fans weren't celebrating his signing.

• Options

Pujols has managed to hit some home runs in the last few years, but his overall rate stats are terrible. he has been a below average hitter, at 1b and DH for 4 or 5 years now.

he is like the power forward who hits just enough 3 pointers to keep shooting but overall hurt his team.

• Options

I saw him on the bench for the Dodgers recently and thought it worth posting:

152 ABs, 8 HR, 25 RBI, .270

.313/ .467 / .780

I think he’s been a useful player for the Dodgers and as they’ve gotten healthy he’s become a worthwhile bar off the bench.

Curious how others feel, especially the Dodgers fans.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Numbers are reasonable and he still has good power. A weapon late in the season.