Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "Midnight Grader" has anyone else heard this story?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back around 1997 a dealer told me the story of the demise of a grading company, circa early 1990's. Apparently one of the employees had been doing unauthorized, after hours grading for select individuals. When the owners learned of what was going on they considered the potential liability they had incurred as a result of this and decided that the best move was to shut down the firm.

Has anyone else heard this story? Is there any truth to it or is it a numismatic urban legend?

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 6:11PM

‘Unauthorized’ as in grading for free? Or grading for paying customers, but after normal business hours? Or something else around not following the set grading protocol?

But seems like if the customers paid and the grades were objectively given .... then it wouldn’t cause such a dire outcome ....

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 6:29PM

Maybe an episode of the Twilight Zone? I have not heard of those types of shenanigans...sounds plausible, but...no.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that the eps., the guy steps on and breaks his only pair of glasses and is thus unable to grade anymore?

peacockcoins

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did he look like this guy?

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I thought that this was going to be a scary campfire story.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    And I thought that this was going to be a scary campfire story.

I thought it would be about graders who grade in the dark. Surely the answer to some of the grades on various slabs… lol

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happened to our host with a grader/authenticator at the Hong Kong office years ago :( On a few six-figure coins :s .

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited May 6, 2021 7:33AM

Once the grader/authenticator's work was discovered, full restitution was made to anyone damaged, and corrections were made to strengthen the process.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

Once the grader/authenticator's work was discovered, full restitution was made to anyone damaged, and corrections were made to strengthen the process.

A very professional and admirable solution.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not heard of such a story.... at least I did not see it discussed here or on other coin forums. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 9:38AM

@ricko
    IIRC there were articles about it in numismatic newspapers. Though it was under the Hall-Willis administration, there will be details about it in financial statements.

Further doubts? Why don't you ask someone at our host if it actually happened?

FWIW, this is the third problem I've had with you in the last 20,000 posts :#

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 9:09AM

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    It happened to our host with a grader/authenticator at the Hong Kong office years ago :( On a few six-figure coins :s .

not good on ones work record for sure

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 11:16AM

@johnny9434
    Disagree.
    PCGS has made good on many millions of dollars of mistakes. One year this century their losses were $800K+. Maybe one mistake was not requiring all graders to take a lie-detector/stress test monthly. Unintentionally, there was an $150K counterfeit Territorial (way back), a re-engraved hi-end 1794 $, etc. etc, etc.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    @johnny9434
    Disagree.
    PCGS has made good on many millions of dollars of mistakes. One year this century their losses were $800K+. Maybe one mistake was not requiring all graders to take a lie-detector/stress test monthly. Unintentionally, there was an $150K counterfeit Territorial (way back), a re-engraved hi-end 1794 $, etc. etc, etc.

Gotcha, it's better said that the person that got canned that I wazent good for them

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard that one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file