Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1900 Morgan replica copy or something else

Robot1010Robot1010 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

This has been in the family for a long time. I don't know what to call it or what its made of. Has anyone seen this before? Any comments or info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 4:05PM

Crude fake from China, judging from the wrong shape of 9 in the date.
    Diameter seems too big, too.
    Can't have been in the family that long?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it 3 inches in diameter?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

This is older than me. I'm almost 50. I forgot the diameter but well over 3 inches. By the way its way bigger than a real Morgan

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Fair enough. Fakes were made in other places than China in the past.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 4:15PM

Looks like a match to this:
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/three-inch-morgan-dollar.html
    Does yours have a smooth edge?

• Options

Thanks MsMorrisine. That one on ebay looks very similar if not a match. Wow that was quick. I think I measured it before and did a google search with no results. I'll check the measurements when I find my tape measurer. They look so much alike I'm thinking that must be the same thing

• Options

Thanks yosclimber. I'm not saying its not a fake from China. I just know its been around as long as I have. I was only asking what it is for my own personal knowledge. I knew the knowledgeable members here would figure it out. Great work and thanks again

• Options

The edge has a line through the middle like it was melted together or cast. I'm not sure

• Options
    MrweaseluvMrweaseluv Posts: 215 ✭✭✭✭✭

That "grainy" porous texture also indicates it is a casting and not a struck coin.. so yeah fake sorry to say...

You may soar with the eagles, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!.
    https://www.cointalk.com/media/albums/the-2020-20-large-cent-set.1855/

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robot1010 said:
    The edge has a line through the middle like it was melted together or cast. I'm not sure

Where the molds came together/apart.

• Options

Thanks Mrweaseluv and JBK. I was kinda hoping someone knew where these came from like the amusement park or store promo. Oh well. Still a keeper for me

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Is it 3 inches in diameter?

Good call!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robot1010 said:
    Thanks yosclimber. I'm not saying its not a fake from China. I just know its been around as long as I have. I was only asking what it is for my own personal knowledge. I knew the knowledgeable members here would figure it out. Great work and thanks again

It may not be from China, but likely Asian. For half a century they've been selling similar items as souvenirs in parts of Asia.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was cheap counterfeit.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s a bit large for a silver dollar, maybe it’s an undiscovered pattern ?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously not a U.S. coin.... A souvenir item of some sort. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file