Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you guys feel about this photo?

UrbanDecay04UrbanDecay04 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 5, 2021 2:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I saw another thread (https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12926613#Comment_12926613) about coin pictures and wanted to show off my own... Well, here she is... Give some criticism (constructive or otherwise) How does it look? Do you guys like it?

Comments

• Options
    CapstickCapstick Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

I thinks it a great pic. Colors seem right on even in low light

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

the log cabins have a few different DDR

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea but one thing to keep in mind is border patrol. Are there things around the border that distract? Also white and light areas draw attention. The books on the upper border immediately drew my attention. Same as the cliff from the desk.

Perhaps reposition things so those distractions aren’t in the shot. The light source from 12 o’clock is ok but if you can soften it that would help. Some diffusion material or something to soften the light will help with the specular highlight on top of the jar.

My fun photography is more wildlife than coins as still life is not something I excel at. So I salute you for your attempt.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not saying I can see any, but to check for them.

http://www.varietyvista.com/01d LC Doubled Dies Vol 4/DDR Listings.htm

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of my own penny jar

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice change glass.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the piece of broken glass doing in the jar?? Inquiring minds want to know....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is a picture of a penny jar supposed to be interesting?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not going to be constructive...........I'm going to be COINstructive.

It's a nice, sharp picture. The kind we need here to evaluate things. Not bad.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrbanDecay04 said:

@jerseycat101 said:

Yes... it's the coins at play... but it also has to do with everything else... lighting, angle, etc... It's the beauty of the photo, not just the contents... real photographers (not trying to insult you) know this

I think it's a fine example of playing with lighting, angle, subject, etc., but that doesn't mean viewers will be intrigued by how they were used. I think your comment about real photographers misses the mark in two ways, apart from coming across as somewhat glib. First, when done really well, all of those components will make a layman stop and appreciate a photograph. A photographer may appreciate the technical skill required to capture a certain image, but ideally a photograph will appeal to the masses (that said, if you enjoy a photo, don't let others talk you out of it, though do consider criticism that may help you get a future shot that you and others find more appealing). Second, a real photographer may look at this shot and see a slightly off-center jar of cents in an overall dark photo with just a part of the jar well lit.

If I may take what @jerseycat101 said to another level, what is the reason for the angle, lighting, and subject? A photographer can do all sorts of things to set up an image, but just because a decision was made to have a certain effect doesn't mean the final result is captivating. I've spent the last few years working on my landscape shots and have spent a ton of time working on how to compose a shot. I can show you countless of examples where it didn't work. I take those examples and figure out how to improve on the next shot. But I can also look back at the shots I took a few years ago and really liked and compare them to what I get now and see a tremendous improvement. It's hard to see that in the moment--ideally you're always producing your best work at the time--but an outside view may not be looking at the progression, but just the image currently being shown.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very crisp. Lighting contrast, superb.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrbanDecay04 said:

@airplanenut said:

@UrbanDecay04 said:

@jerseycat101 said:

Yes... it's the coins at play... but it also has to do with everything else... lighting, angle, etc... It's the beauty of the photo, not just the contents... real photographers (not trying to insult you) know this

I think it's a fine example of playing with lighting, angle, subject, etc., but that doesn't mean viewers will be intrigued by how they were used. I think your comment about real photographers misses the mark in two ways, apart from coming across as somewhat glib. First, when done really well, all of those components will make a layman stop and appreciate a photograph. A photographer may appreciate the technical skill required to capture a certain image, but ideally a photograph will appeal to the masses (that said, if you enjoy a photo, don't let others talk you out of it, though do consider criticism that may help you get a future shot that you and others find more appealing). Second, a real photographer may look at this shot and see a slightly off-center jar of cents in an overall dark photo with just a part of the jar well lit.

If I may take what @jerseycat101 said to another level, what is the reason for the angle, lighting, and subject? A photographer can do all sorts of things to set up an image, but just because a decision was made to have a certain effect doesn't mean the final result is captivating. I've spent the last few years working on my landscape shots and have spent a ton of time working on how to compose a shot. I can show you countless of examples where it didn't work. I take those examples and figure out how to improve on the next shot. But I can also look back at the shots I took a few years ago and really liked and compare them to what I get now and see a tremendous improvement. It's hard to see that in the moment--ideally you're always producing your best work at the time--but an outside view may not be looking at the progression, but just the image currently being shown.

I agree... I was just stating that he was looking at the object, not the beauty, not appreciating the beauty... that reminds me... wait here... ;)

But you're missing my point. All parts of the image play together. Even if you nail one part of an image, if something else is lacking it can change how the whole image is interpreted. The lighting that makes one image beautiful may add nothing to, or even detract, from another. A well-lit image of a poor subject may be no more interesting than a poorly lit image of a fascinating subject. The real key to photography is getting it all right.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file