Options

1944 d wheat penny

The 1st “4” in 1944 is a closed top “4” over an open top “4.”

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD - see the hits on the other digits,
    and the rim in the date area.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 1:14PM

@UrbanDecay04
    "Okay... I have a question... How can you tell that it's PMD vs. a die chip? To me, it looks like a die chip and not PMD over the 4... What am I missing?"

This should have been your first comment rather than......

"I respectfully disagree... The 4 has raised areas that the other digits don't... Based on the pictures (until we get better ones) I'd say, Die Chip... I could be wrong but it doesn't look like PMD to me."

First thing you might want to do is read your sig line then read Fred's sig line. ;)

The photos are not the best so it is easy to understand why there might be some confusion.

In an attempt to help you & the OP understand I will tell you what I see, and maybe that is what Fred was seeing also.
    Keep in mind Fred doesn't have time to go into detail on many posts unless asked for specific details.

The area in red appears in the photo to be depressed or a divot.
    The blue line makes it appear that both contact marks may line up and may have happened at the same time.
    The yellow appears to be push up or raised. This would be where the metal in the divot was pushed to.
    The other thing you need to factor in is that there may be wear on the coin after the PMD that has changed the look.
    This is just my observation and I could be wrong. Better photos would help.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can ask for better photos to settle an argument, but the original question was answered.

It’s just damaged. I’m liking the gouge description.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Perhaps this was an attempt to create a fake 1914-D from a 1944-D.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Allentram said:
    Perhaps this was an attempt to create a fake 1914-D from a 1944-D.

If that was the case, they should have used the vertical bar on the right side of the 4 to create the 1. this can be seen in the large space in between the 9 and 1.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 2:08PM

@UrbanDecay04 said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    PMD - see the hits on the other digits,
    and the rim in the date area.

I respectfully disagree... The 4 has raised areas that the other digits don't... Based on the pictures (until we get better ones) I'd say, Die Chip... I could be wrong but it doesn't look like PMD to me

Fred knows. You want a job as a grader at PCGS? Listen and Learn from the Fred's of the world............then maybe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD.... several indications, however @ifthevamzarockin gave an excellent description/diagram. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file