Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New purchase, 1805 Draped Bust Half, O-107, R5.

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if R5's draw a premium in this series but I sure find it cool. It was an accidental cherrypick, I did not realize the variety until after I had purchased it.

Top pop at PCGS is a 40, with one in each of 35, 25, 20, 15, and 7 graded F12 or lower.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 9:44AM

Awsome 👍 welcome to the draped bust half club, got my vary own 1806 half

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

i got a 1807 as well

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

How are the surfaces on the coin? I debated buying it when it was listed, but ultimately passed because I wasn't confident about how it would end up looking in hand. Looks interestingly wood-grainy!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Coin! I like the detail on the obv. The reverse is is kind of dull, seemingly, with more wear. Still, I wouldn't mind having it. At least some of the early date bust halves are not too costly. When you get to Overton numbers, you need to find someone who is collecting by Overton variety numbers. Usually, bust halves dating from 1801-1807 are collected by type. There are some collectors of 1801-1807 bust halves by Overton number, you just have to find them.

• Options

@stealer said:
    How are the surfaces on the coin? I debated buying it when it was listed, but ultimately passed because I wasn't confident about how it would end up looking in hand. Looks interestingly wood-grainy!

Old very gentle cleaning (soap and water style) but retoned nicely and market acceptable by present standards in my opinion.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a very nice coin.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice unplanned cherrypick!

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an expert but it looks like a early die state due to lack of Die cracks and strong obverse details

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old coin... likely made a lot of purchases. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my all time favorite designs. Nice pick up!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only is your coin neat, but your photography skills are also top-notch.

peacockcoins

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice 1805 T-7/O.107 Small 5, it is a legitimately rare variety and I think it could be R-5+ rarity. The R-5's in the DBHE series have little or no rarity premium, the exceptions are neat varieties with a cud or die break, or coins within condition census for the die marriage.

The 1805 T-7/O.107 is the first die marriage in the emission order for the year to use the new obverse master die and hub engraved by Robert Scot, which has a slightly lower relief and a few changes in the hair curls (compare the very top curl with the O.101 and O.102 1805/4). This die marriage is also unusual in that both the obverse and reverse working dies were retired with no known die cracks.

The PCGS pop is incomplete, the Tompkins book gives the most accurate condition census 53, 50, 45, 45, 45, 40. I have the 50, it is PCGS OGH and is the Tompkins plate coin.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

@Nysoto said:
    That is a nice 1805 T-7/O.107 Small 5, it is a legitimately rare variety and I think it could be R-5+ rarity. The R-5's in the DBHE series have little or no rarity premium, the exceptions are neat varieties with a cud or die break, or coins within condition census for the die marriage.

The 1805 T-7/O.107 is the first die marriage in the emission order for the year to use the new obverse master die and hub engraved by Robert Scot, which has a slightly lower relief and a few changes in the hair curls (compare the very top curl with the O.101 and O.102 1805/4). This die marriage is also unusual in that both the obverse and reverse working dies were retired with no known die cracks.

The PCGS pop is incomplete, the Tompkins book gives the most accurate condition census 53, 50, 45, 45, 45, 40. I have the 50, it is PCGS OGH and is the Tompkins plate coin.

Missed this post in the original thread. Fascinating information, thanks for it. Do you happen to have pics of the OGH 50 you mentioned?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your photos look much more realistic. Nice coin and congrats!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

That turned into a great purchase with the grade and the Coinfacts plate coin. Looking at the PR's on Coinfacts, the O-107 does get some rarity premium.

I will post a pic of my AU50 OGH, and I need to go to the SDB so it will take a little time. Actually, I could get a better picture by taking a picture of the book!

• Options

@DelawareDoons this is an early die stage of T-7, with the new obverse hub and first working die off the hub. The reverse is also interesting, all heraldic eagle half dollar reverses made in 1805-1807 had 153 dentils in an experimental hubbed dentil process that ended in 1807. Some $10 eagles used the same hub, 1803 BD-5 and BD-6, 1804 BD-1, and 1804 BD-2 which was struck in 1834-35 from an unused half dollar die.

The coin was previously in the Doug Noblet collection, who auctioned his half dollars in 2000. I contacted Doug, he bought the coin from Harry Laibstain early in his career, Harry did not have record of previous provenance.

• Options

Love it!

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice examples above. Here is mine.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2021 8:05AM

Nice coin !

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list