Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ERROR COINS $$$

Why are the more common mint errors selling for HUNDREDS of dollars on ebay these days? what's going on? any insight?

Crazy prices!!

thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 8:13AM
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got any links? Thinking I need to get my seller account fired up.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Error coins are considered scarce and hyped on TV, newspapers when one is found/sold for big $$. Articles about 'treasure in you pocket change' also give people dreams of riches. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots to do about nothing.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindude88 said:
    Why are the more common mint errors selling for HUNDREDS of dollars on ebay these days? what's going on? any insight?

Crazy prices!!

thank you.

Please show some examples.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few days ago, someone emailed me referencing a recently closed auction and asked why the price I got was so high and if he'd get the same for his coin. Without seeing his coin, it's impossible to say. Without seeing examples of what you're talking about, it's impossible to say.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see/hear the words, error coins. Right away, I think of Mr. Fred Weinberg.
    He da man. A great contributor and teacher. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Error coins are nice,

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 6:10PM

@MFeld said:

Second item on the list of recently complete items on eBay: 1998D Lincoln Error Designers Cent Coin Obverse And Reverse DD, sold for $2,000

There has been something fishy going on with eBay error sales for the past year or two. The sales in the Errors category are ridiculous, even for eBay standards. Almost all from low-feedback sellers going to low-feedback buyers. I wonder if someone has come up with a money laundering scheme or something like that, even though I have no evidence beyond the sales themselves...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

@MFeld said:

Second item on the list of recently complete items on eBay: 1998D Lincoln Error Designers Cent Coin Obverse And Reverse DD, sold for $2,000

There has been something fishy going on with eBay error sales for the past year or two. The sales in the Errors category are ridiculous, even for eBay standards. Almost all from low-feedback sellers going to low-feedback buyers. I wonder if someone has come up with a money laundering scheme or something like that, even though I have no evidence beyond the sales themselves...

We had someone on the forum who used to run up the price of counterfeits and just not pay. Lots of odd results on ebay which may not be real sales at all.

You could also do it with your friends to create fake comps.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindude88 said:

Crazy prices!!

thank you.

Does the term: "Buyer beware" ring a bell. Post a link, pictures and questions here before you ever pull the trigger on a coin from eBay! If that's where you're seeing it.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

@MFeld said:

Not a real sale. Some kind of a shill game.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was it that P. T. Barnum said ....?

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file