Home Sports Talk
Options

Mattingly vs. Strawberry

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 80's icons. who was better?

Both were on HOF tracks during the 80's but had mostly burned out by the 1990's

Donny had 1600 more AB's WAR is almost identical. OB% identical. Strawberry was the better slugger. Straw had more stolen bases. Straw OPS+138, Mattingly OPS+ 127.

when I first started thinking about this, I initially thought the hit man would come out on top. after a little research, give me the Straw Man!!!!

how about you?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d take Mattingly in his prime

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really a flip of the coin for me, both those guys were awesome in their prime.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very close. For me, too close to call. One thing is for sure: it is not the case that one deserved one appearance on the HoF ballot and the other 15.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are close, but Mattingly's best season is better than Strawberry's best season, 2nd best better than second best, and so on throughout pretty much their entire careers. Strawberry technically appeared in four more seasons, but he played so little and/or so poorly in those seasons that they don't really count. So yes, they're close, but not so close that you can't see the gap between them; Mattingly was better.

As for the HOF ballots, Mattingly surely got more votes than he deserved, but Strawberry probably got fewer than his on-field career merited because of his off-field legal troubles, so that may not be an apples to apples comparison.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 8:00PM

Ohh, boy. That’s close. I loved Mattingly as a kid and tried to imitate his hitting stroke so i gotta go with him. But it would depend on what your team needed.

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

"Give me the Straw Man!!!!" [ditto craig44] The Straw Man was really exciting to watch. He was on a very exciting Mets team in the first part of his career -- and on a very successful Yankees team during the last part of his career. On the field, he could do it all. Too bad that he had so many personal problems off the field. Loved watching Straw and Doc!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 3:04PM

Good question. My brain says Strawberry but my heart says Donnie Baseball

I lived in NYC off and on during their careers. I loved when either came to the plate.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Mattingly for me. I loved the guy! Strawberry was exciting though.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both were on the Springfield Softball team - so no help there.

:p

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest