Home U.S. Coin Forum

Reminder: Sunnyvale CA Coin Show returns in June

Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2021 4:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sunnyvale Coin Show will return to the Domain Hotel, 1085 East El Camino Real on Friday and Saturday, June 25th and 26th.

NorCalCoinShows.com

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news.... May portend well for the Long Beach show.... Show reports please. Cheers, RickO

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Already have it marked on my calendar. Will be there bright and early on Saturday morning.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good news. Maybe we’ll start having smaller shows in So Ca.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many tables? Will masks and/ or temperature checks be required for admission? For working behind dealer tables?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in.

Glad to see coin shows happening again.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

AD:

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have be 35 coin dealers plus a vendor with supplies.

• BigtreeBigtree Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long rambling post, for those who are bored and starved for reading material (and even then, YMMV)...

First, a bit of context. This was my first coin show in 30+ years. I collected as a kid, and then took a three-decade break until the pandemic, when my 8yo sold started collecting, and it all came rushing back. I’ve spent the past year mostly looking at coin images online, and exclusively buying online (yes, I’ve predictably made a few mistakes).

So this was my first time looking at coins in person in any real volume. It was really fun, and a bit overwhelming, even though it was “just” a local show with 35 dealers. It was a really busy show, and I unfortunately didn’t have time to sit down and look at more than a couple of coins in hand; so most of my impressions are just of looking at coins through cases under mostly terrible lighting.

FWIW, here are my hot takes as a “virgin” coin show attendee. Would love to hear impressions from other folks who attended.

• It was really busy and there seemed to be lots of transactions happening, as one might expect for this being the first show in the area in probably 18 months.

• I was hoping to see more younger folks, but there seemed to be very few YNs and even not many people in my older age bracket either (40s). Thirty years ago, I remember going to a much bigger show at the (nearby) San Jose Convention Center, and seeing lots of other kids...I know there are fewer YNs these days, but was hoping to see more. Hopefully this is more a reflection of the typical clientele at small local shows, and not a statement about the aging collector base.

• I might be happy to never see another Morgan again. So many Morgans…

• My expectations for quality were probably too low. I saw better stuff than I was expecting – some CAC-approved gold, some fantastic toners, an 1895 proof Morgan with nice color, etc. I also saw more green beans overall than I imagined, though it was still less than 1% of all the slabbed coins, and most of the better stuff was concentrated in the cases of 2-3 dealers. Bruce Braga had some very nice toners, including some CAC’ed Indian cents. If I had the time, I suspect I could’ve spent a lot of time sitting at his table looking at his coins in hand, and perhaps buying one or two. A good reminder to me, as a new collector, that there are still a lot of cool coins out there that aren’t viewable online.

• Prices seemed high to me, even in a seller’s market. This may also be a function of there being a lot of part-time or hobbyist dealers who don’t have the same incentives to move inventory quickly.

• I met a collector/dealer from the Instagram coin community who also re-started collecting during the pandemic after a 30-year break. He showed me some amazing coins, including a copper Morgan pattern. Definitely the highlight of the show for me. I bought a Hobo nickel and a toned Lincoln from his original childhood collection for my son – my only show purchases. I’m really impressed (and also jealous) that he’s dove in headfirst and doing shows so quickly upon his numismatic re-entry. Would love to find myself behind a table someday, just for fun, perhaps when the kids are older...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file