Home U.S. Coin Forum

1930-S BUFF 2 FEATHER

I won this auction on ebay.com . I know it is only VG and probably cleaned but this is a semi rare 2 feather. I have not received it yet.

What do you all think?

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

Comments

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2021 1:59AM

Not bad, I am not a fan of two feather buffalos but I think you got a bargain, but then, i don't know what two-feather buffalos nickels sell for.. Out of all the buffalo nickels I have gone through, I never found a 2-feather. The coin is not a high grade or a full horn, thus is listed incorrectly as such. If that is a full horn, i have a boat load to sell him. That seller with over 300,000 feedback should know better. Still, for what it is, you did not overpay.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cherrypick Tony! That's one of the tougher ones. An uncleaned one is worth about $80, but with the cleaning maybe half that.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it is a two feather... but no full horn - that is barely a full head ;) Good example of the two feather though... Cheers, RickO

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mbarr is usually much better than this on their grading. Someone must've been asleep at the wheel!

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick, great price.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd suggest not posting your picks before they're in hand.

We just had a member lose a cherrypick because they did that a couple weeks ago.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I waited until the usps had the coin.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigtonydallas said:
    I waited until the usps had the coin.

You do realize you can do a shipping intercept and stop delivery yeah?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

If they need it that bad more power to them. I guess it would cost about $20 to do it. I dont know.

I had a dealer at a coin show pull that on 2 1970 small date lincolns. He had $5 but i only bought those 2 coins. He looked at them and said he would need $50 each. I learned i should have bought a whole bunch of coins so we would less likely look at the coins.

In some cases that's what I used to do if the cherrypicked coin was good enough.

When i bought the 1918/7 D buff i bought 6 or 7 other coins so the dealer would not inspect my cherry.

I did the same when I cherried an AU58 EMDS 1935 DDR-001. It was carded up so I bought half a dozen others also carded up. They were from a junk box of high grade common date Buffs, Mercs, Washingtons, etc.

edited May 3, 2021 1:42AM

Same here, when I got a vf 1773 Virginia half penny out of a dealer's 10 cent foreign box many years ago, I bought 20 coins for $2.00 to avoid suspicion. I Think that he thought it was some kind of an English coin or a token because it has a portrait of King George III on it and says "REX".

Just got the coin in hand. It is the 2 feather in about Fine but cleaned.

Congrats, search any yee shall find.

edited May 7, 2021 10:09PM

It's also an "eyeball" die clash. The Native American looks like he has an eyeball. That is formed by a small part of the field adjacent to the bison's belly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file