Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Rookie card prices that make no sense

Why is a 1984 Donruss Darryl Strawberry RC PSA 10 going for $650 on eBay? He’s never going into the Hall of Fame. Is it just exuberant nostalgia for 1980s collectors? So many other cards I’d rather spend on than this.

Comments

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigTex22 said:
    Why is a 1984 Donruss Darryl Strawberry RC PSA 10 going for $650 on eBay? He’s never going into the Hall of Fame. Is it just exuberant nostalgia for 1980s collectors? So many other cards I’d rather spend on than this.

i have this same question sometime to myself. i would like to spend the money and get a psa 10 strawberry rookie but i know he will never make the hall of fame. i really liked strawberry in the eighties but when signed the contract with the dodgers it just went downhill for him and he was never the player he was in the eighties. my collection dollars are limited lately so i am confined to smaller value cards. the only rookie card i have is a 1983 topps traded psa 9. i want to get a psa 9 donruss but i have not pulled the trigger yet and bought one.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Darryl has a huge following with the NY and Socal fan base. He is not a HOF, but his RC cards are valued like one. I collected his 1983 Topps Traded as a kid, and still have them. It was awesome to see him with the Dodgers and return home to Los Angeles. The baseball talent coming out of Los Angeles City Section back then was amazing.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

People buy what they want/enjoy.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2021 2:29PM

My take; Gooden, Canseco, Strawberry and Bo Jackson are simply not investments for the future. They are for the NOW. As was pointed out above the interest lies with those in the mid 40's to late 50's age bracket that were not able afford the cards and or have fond memories of their "salad days"

Great time to sell them as after a few years pass I do not see them holding on to most of their current values.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    My take; Gooden, Canseco, Strawberry and Bo Jackson are simply not investments for the future. They are for the NOW. As was pointed out above the interest lies with those in the mid 40's to late 50's age bracket that were not able afford the cards and or have fond memories of their "salad days"

Great time to sell them as after a few years pass I do not see them holding on to most of their current values.

You're making this about investments and future/potential value when all the OP asked was why.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2021 3:40PM

Furthering my last post, when many of us were kids we collected the cards and players we loved and future values or when to sell and buy were of no matter. Many of us still collect the same way.

Gooden, Strawberry, Mattingly, Bo, Eric Davis, Will Clark, and many others were good vibes to me then and now. So I buy the cards of them I want, and pay what it takes to get them in my collection, where they will be enjoyed. I don’t give a flying crap what they’ll be worth at any future point because they’ll be with me til I croak. I think there are still lots of baseball card collectors out there for whom it’s not about money.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:
    I think one other factor is the growing irrelevance of the Baseball Hall of Fame itself. Whether it's the lack of induction for players like Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Schilling, M Ramirez; or the induction of guys like Baines, a growing number of fans are finding HOF induction essentially irrelevant. People are collecting the players they liked, and thought/think were the best.

Steve

Great point. Akin to the waning status of other cultural awards like the Oscars or Grammys. With the advent of social media (which cuts for good and bad in society, of course), people realize more than ever that everyone has an opinion. So a bunch of insiders casting votes just doesn’t have the juice it once did. People tend to cling to their own opinions and won’t let their passions wane due to others’ opinions. If you grew up a huge fan of Player X and pined for his cards, you’re not letting the opinions of some strangers dampen your enthusiasm.

• Options
    DaveSpiwakDaveSpiwak Posts: 40 ✭✭

Straw was a very good player and borderline hall of famer. But, that aside, it’s always been about popularity with cards, not necessarily who the best player is. $650 is a little high for that card though as the 83 TT Straw doesn’t even go for that much. I’d be surprised if the 84 Donruss Straw actually trades at that level.

• Options

@nam812 said:

You're making this about investments and future/potential value when all the OP asked was why.

This extract then applies: interest lies with those in the mid 40's to late 50's age bracket that were not able afford the cards and or have fond memories of their "salad days"

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just always thought these were eye candy to the max...and I probably couldn’t afford them now.

And perhaps most importantly, he was the only one who showed up for the championship game, much to Homer’s chagrin.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

If asking this question about why a non-HOF in this set is so valuable, why not ask about Mattingly? The answer to me is the same. People like to collect players they liked and enjoyed when they were young and the same cards they sought out then. I don't think the majority of people think I loved McGwire and Strawberry but I want the Don Sutton and Bruce Sutter cards more because they are HOFers. Most look at players they respected and had fun watching. A lot of the most valuable cards of the 80s are non HOFers. McGwire Clemens Mattingly Bo Bonds. 84 Donruss is just an awesome set loved by many.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    When many of us collected as kids in the 80s, HOF prospects or entrance was not at all a factor in us connecting to or collecting a player. Some of us still collect the same way.

This is completely not true. That is exactly what the '80s was about. People would snap up any rookie who had even a good week thinking they had a chance at an HoF rookie at a decent price. People bought all the Mattingly, Strawberry, Kittle, Clemens, Puckett, Cory Snyder, Davis, Griffey, etc. rookies they could find because they knew these players were going to be really good. And really good meant going in to the HoF. Some of them turned out to be really good, most of them didn't, and some of those took longer to turn into a pumpkin than others.

No one was completing a Hank Sauer master set in the '80s.

• Options

So you’re telling me how me and my cousins and brother and buddies collected in the 80s? I know exactly why I and those close to me bought cards: simply because we loved the players and the game and the cards. As we do now. I said many were like us. That is completely true. And I’m sure just as many were hoping to make a buck.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    So you’re telling me how me and my cousins and brother and buddies collected in the 80s? I know exactly why I and those close to me bought cards: simply because we loved the players and the game and the cards. As we do now. I said many were like us. That is completely true. And I’m sure just as many were hoping to make a buck.

I collect Strawberry fairly heavily for the exact same reason, I also collect many others not in the Hall of fame. If Spencer Torkelson (or any other unproven prospect), anything Pokémon or Fort Nite / Dungeons and Dragons whatever fantasy card that has no roots in reality can command the prices they do, then why should anyone be shocked for these issues commanding high prices.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple things might be at work here. 84 Donruss is a very popular set. I for one think it’s top 3 of the 80’s with 1980 topps and 89 upper deck. Second, I think they are doing a documentary on the 86 Mets and people may be speculating that will impact cards like the last dance did. Just my guesses. The points above about mid 40’s guys buying it are valid as well.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is all about demand. those players, while not HOFers are in high demand.

so are Joe Jackson and Pete rose cards and those guys will never be in the hall of fame.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Namath

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this thread was going to be about every PSA 10 Rookie Card produced since 2019 :D

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

will flip the script. how criminally low yogi berra’s rookie goes for makes zero sense to me.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2021 8:54PM

I think if Berra's rookie card was in color it would be 3-5x the price. BW seems to always lower the price. Same with the 1939 Teddie. And agree it's cheep. Loved the days when 8s were less than 3k

• Options

I always liked Tony Oliva, his rookie card is way expensive in high grade.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

I sometimes collect players because I find/found them fun to watch. Also, I sometimes overpay for a card to get it into my Red Sox Team HOF display...cards like '87 Greenwell or '52 Pesky were overpaid. I tried to pick up an '03 Youkilis and got outbid at $62!

• Options
    edited May 3, 2021 11:34AM

@JoeBanzai said:

Should (NEEDS TO BE) be in the Hall already! Almost as if those who comprise the Golden Era committee want to ensure everyone is dead before they vote them in. The have not even voted since 2015 when they elected nobody - seriously WTF? Oliva is now 82 and as I understand he is an "old" 82. The guy and his family deserves it already and the Golden Era committee just takes their sweet-arse lazy time.

BTW I never saw Tony play his career was before my time. I'm also not a Twins fan. However I have reviewed his info over and over; Oliva belongs in the hall more than at least 25% of the total HOF members, especially the many absurd Veteran's Committee selections over the past 3 decades.

Full dislosure: I own a single Oliva card (1975) cost me $20, believe me when I say my statement about him and the HOF is not fiscally based as even if it were to triple or quadruple in value compared to my cost I say so what...

BTW: Here were the members of the infamous 2015 Golden Era committee:

Jim Bunning, Rod Carew, Pat Gillick, Ferguson Jenkins, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, Ozzie Smith and Don Sutton; major league executives Dave Dombrowski, Jim Frey, David Glass and Roland Hemond; and veteran media members Steve Hirdt, Dick Kaegel, Phil Pepe and Tracy Ringolsby

Hopefully those on the 2021 Committee have a high degree of common sense.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Should (NEEDS TO BE) be in the Hall already! Almost as if those who comprise the Golden Era committee want to ensure everyone is dead before they vote them in. The have not even voted since 2015 when they elected nobody - seriously WTF? Oliva is now 82 and as I understand he is an "old" 82. The guy and his family deserves it already and the Golden Era committee just takes their sweet-arse lazy time.

BTW I never saw Tony play his career was before my time. I'm also not a Twins fan. However I have reviewed his info over and over; Oliva belongs in the hall more than at least 25% of the total HOF members, especially the many absurd Veteran's Committee selections over the past 3 decades.

Full dislosure: I own a single Oliva card (1975) cost me $20, believe me when I say my statement about him and the HOF is not fiscally based as even if it were to triple or quadruple in value compared to my cost I say so what...

Jim Bunning, Rod Carew, Pat Gillick, Ferguson Jenkins, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, Ozzie Smith and Don Sutton; major league executives Dave Dombrowski, Jim Frey, David Glass and Roland Hemond; and veteran media members Steve Hirdt, Dick Kaegel, Phil Pepe and Tracy Ringolsby

Talent and productivity says Oliva is an easy choice for the HOF. Many pitchers said they would rather face Oliva than Killebrew.

He gets (unfairly?) penalized for his shortish career.

Twins could have played him sooner and it's not Tony's fault he got hurt. I don't think anyone here doubts that Oliva playing a couple of more years would be in.

Two second place finishes in the MVP race in his career and should have been 2nd in 1966 as well, very good in 1971 too.

The guy was a STUD!

It makes no sense to put a guy with less ability in the HOF because he avoided injury and was very good for a long time.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Talent and productivity says Oliva is an easy choice for the HOF. Many pitchers said they would rather face Oliva than Killebrew.

He gets (unfairly?) penalized for his shortish career.

Twins could have played him sooner and it's not Tony's fault he got hurt. I don't think anyone here doubts that Oliva playing a couple of more years would be in.

Two second place finishes in the MVP race in his career and should have been 2nd in 1966 as well, very good in 1971 too.

The guy was a STUD!

It makes no sense to put a guy with less ability in the HOF because he avoided injury and was very good for a long time.

Killebrew in his day was one of the top 4 Home Run Hitters of all-time, at least from physiological angle far more menacing than Oliva. However Killebrew was quite prone to striking out Oliva was not. While opinions differ in a bottom ninth situation with tying run on 3rd and winning run on 2nd with 2 out I'd rather have a high contact high average hitter at bat than a world class power hitter. Of course in today's game appears that is no longer a common school of thought.

Don't want to mention any player by name but many compilers who were never dominant have made the hall via veterans committee last several decades. Appears a long career that is slightly above the average can get you in if Tony Larussa is your good buddy.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of cards that I am suspicious of holding their current value, but neither the 1986 donruss Canseco rated rookie or the 1986 Topps traded Bo Jackson fall into that category.

I think both are a great buys at today’s prices if you’re looking at them clearly as an investment standpoint.

1986 Canseco RR PSA 10 = $350
    1986 TT Bo Jackson PSA 10 = $350

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

@rtimmer said:

There are a lot of cards that I am suspicious of holding their current value, but neither the 1986 donruss Canseco rated rookie or the 1986 Topps traded Bo Jackson fall into that category.

I think both are a great buys at today’s prices if you’re looking at them clearly as an investment standpoint.

1986 Canseco RR PSA 10 = $350

As I recall 2 months ago the 1986 Canseco RR PSA 10 was going for 2x or so that amount. It is just a dip or a part of continuing drop?

I am aware that it was THE baseball card of the late 80's for those then who collected what were modern/current cards. I am also aware that Canseco is a known and admitted PED user who also wrote an infamous book. Those are factors that do limit interest for many. In the year 2021 to those 40 or under his daughter is more well known than him.

I won't argue Bo Jackson at current time but the 1986 Canseco RR PSA 10 card I feel is one of diminishing and then negative returns on investment. As those caught up in the the current nostalgia euphoria obtain or have obtained the card what will sustain price? As mentioned in the last paragraph I feel the interest is more limited than Bo for the reasons mentioned. While it will likely retain a 3 figure price I feel an actual average going (not asking) rate of $150-$175 is more likely in 12-18 months than $400 or higher

I may be wrong, but then again I may be Right.

P.S. I do realized posts like this may anger or upset those who have a financial interest in a specific card. To them my apologies but my opinion is my opinion and the market will do what the market will do.

• Options

@rtimmer said

While I may disagrees with you on the Canseco, I'd like to take the opportunity to mention I'm in awe of your cello collection.

As for who may turn out right on the Canseco, no need to argue as passage of time will definitely reveal the answer.

• Options

Does anyone really look at the 1986 Canseco or its ilk as an “investment?” It seems those of us buying cards like this are in it for the pure nostalgia and fun factor. I know guys who have bought one, but don’t know any who did so thinking, “This card’s gonna make me money.”

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Canseco is now an important figure in baseball history for his role and exposure of the Steroid era. In addition to his decent career, he was a popular player during his player days. There will forever be interest in him.
    Bo was arguably the greatest athlete any of us have ever witnessed. Had he focused on one sport exclusively he probably would have had HOF credentials. The "what if" factor will always intrigue collectors, and interest will never wane. Bo had a certain lore people will pass on for future generations, especially with video and documentaries preserved to prove it. Another wildly popular figure in his generation.
    Popularity and curiosity will always keep these two players in collectible terms. I think values will fluctuate with the market like all other cards, but I've always advocated to collect what you like, enjoy the hobby, and the value will always be what it is.