Home Precious Metals
Options

Sterling or plated?

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an interesting one. I got this a while ago at an antique shop for a buck or so because of the British sterling hallmarks. When I got home, I took a closer look at the marks and noticed it was also stamped Exquisite Silver Plate along with the usual British sterling marks. Dated 1976 in Birmingham and the makers mark bring attributed to Exquisite Jewelry Ltd. What do you guys think. Sterling or plated?

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

I call it plated. Try bending it lightly if its soft it holds a chance at sterling. If its very stiff definitely plated.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 1:52PM

Not to be a smart a**, as I've been told I am, but if it says plate, it's plate
    o:)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sandman70gt said:
    Not to be a smart a**, as I've been told I am, but if it says plate, it's plate
    o:)

Agree. Silver plate means it's silver plated. Neat spoon and it was certainly cheap enough.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the plated crowd. It doesn't always work every time, but smell it. Seriously. If it smells acrid (bitter, acidic), it's plated.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Thanks all. I was thinking there was a chance it would be sterling because of the government sterling marks. It only cost me a buck so no big loss.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a buy like that works out... sometimes not. I've been on both sides of the equation. The hallmarks would have made me wonder also.

----- kj
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... I would vote plated for sure.... I do not know what the descriptive 'exquisite' denotes....Perhaps someone can clarify that term. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Yep... I would vote plated for sure.... I do not know what the descriptive 'exquisite' denotes....Perhaps someone can clarify that term. Cheers, RickO

I would guess it's part of the name of the company as the oval park after it is a registered mark to exquisite jewelry Ltd.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sterling. 100% sure. The Birmingham hallmarks make it a certainty. The term "plate" is an old term for silver wares in general. An old term, and unusual to see like this.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2021 10:10AM

You’ll see it used in older references... I quickly found an example:

The term was used referring to plates, like a dinner plate, and they called all silver “wares” plate. They even called the cupboard for silver a “Plate Cupboard”

• Options

@asheland Really neat info. Thanks! I'll see if I can get it tested using an XRF to confirm if it's sterling or not.

• Options

It’ll turn out good. 👍

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Plate

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

If Asheland says it is sterling, it is sterling, period!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

LIBCM hallmarks, them are sterling.
    :D

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone