Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Mexico 1983-Mo Small-Size Morelos One Peso

The new, small-size 24.5mm stainless steel Morelos Peso (KM-496) was first released in 1984 in circulation with a mintage in excess of 722 million examples. But did you know that a 1983 example exists?

The reduced-size 1983 Morelos Peso is usually considered a pattern (KM-Pn228 with a reported mintage of 12), but some consider it a regular issue. While I don't remember the reasoning behind it, if true it would be the rarest Peso of Mexico, including even the 1949. Whatever it is, pattern or regular issue, it's a tough coin!

Because I found a higher-graded one, I am selling my duplicate at Heritage on May 7.

For some reason, all of this issue are plagued with stained, streaked, dinged-up planchets and weak strikes. They are ALL like this. But the Heritage coin isn't bad looking in hand, given the assigned grade.

Link to the auction lot.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is this... you are actually selling a duplicate?

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I never liked those but appreciate the rarity. Good luck!

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

How likely is it that a coin intended as a regular issue would have a mintage of 12 pieces?

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    How likely is it that a coin intended as a regular issue would have a mintage of 12 pieces?

I agree with you (and since I collect patterns, I never gave it much more thought).

But several people (including former dealer Richard Long) had their reasons or inside knowledge for asserting that it was a regular issue.