Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1870 Longacre Silver Dollar

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2021 9:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

1870 Standard Silver Dollar - Silver - by James Barton Longacre - Judd-1008 - PCGS PR63 - Ex. Bob Simpson, Sarasota Numismatics (d)

This is the first time I noticed Longacre signed his name on a US dollar!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice indeed.... With all the historical complaints about designers initials on coins, I am surprised at the full name. But being a pattern only is probably the reason. Would likely not have been that way if made for full circulation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Never saw that before

• Options

@trueblood said:
    Never saw that before

I've also never noticed his name before, though I've looked at Longacre's Seated Princess dollars many times over the years.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only on the 1870 dated Pattern Princess dollars (J1008 thru J1013 and the J1014 thru J1019). Longacre died in 1869 and per Judd reference book it is believed the name was added as a tribute to him. Of interest to me is the the bulk of the Indian Princess motifs were struck in 1871 and they did not bear his name.

Below is the photo of the counterpart (J-1014) using the reverse of the regular die of the year.

• Options
    edited May 17, 2021 7:52AM

@retirednow said:
    Only on the 1870 dated Pattern Princess dollars (J1008 thru J1013 and the J1014 thru J1019). Longacre died in 1869 and per Judd reference book it is believed the name was added as a tribute to him. Of interest to me is the the bulk of the Indian Princess motifs were struck in 1871 and they did not bear his name.

This seems to be Longacre's design, but implemented by William Barber:

USPatterns.com wrote:
    Longacre's indian princess design combined with the 'Standard Silver' reverse. This was apparently implemented by William Barber as Longacre died in 1869.

Ref: https://uspatterns.stores.yahoo.net/j1008p1141.html

More from Heritage indicating this was done by William Barber:

Heritage wrote:
    Although this is the familiar and easily recognized Indian Princess design first used in 1870 (and signed LONGACRE) by William Barber in 1870 and then again in 1871 with LONGACRE removed, the design was further and subtly reworked before these coins were struck. Both 1871 dies show no signature, but this obverse shows 22 stars on the flag, rather than 13. But an easier pickup point and the most obvious difference is that this die shows star 1 and star 13 further away from the central figure of Liberty. The reverse shows STANDARD at top with 1 / DOLLAR in two lines inside an agricultural wreath of corn and cotton. Struck in silver with a reeded edge.

Ref: https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns/1871-1-standard-silver-dollar-judd-1139-pollock-1281-high-r7-pr66-pcgs-cac/a/1321-3208.s

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

With regards to the first photo of that wonderful pattern, what are the opinions of the members re its toning. I have always been confused when the toning looks like oil on water along with the assorted colors.
    TY

• Options

1870 Longacre Dollar - Copper - PCGS PR64RD POP 1/0

Here's a copper specimen.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/27830728

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file