Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anacs 1925 s AU58 clip ..

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondering what something like this is worth. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your opinion is welcome...!

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to the clip it looks like a decent state of the dies. So many of this date/Mint are struck from worn, badly eroded dies that produced miserable coins.

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 7:23PM

Calling Seanq

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are killing me tonight :)

The premium for an error like that shrinks a bit on a higher grade / value coin. I would ask for 25% to 50% over the book value of the coin without the error, probably toward the higher end because of the exceptional eye appeal.

Thank you for sharing, it's beautiful.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice Buff and an interesting clip. Sean's estimate sounds reasonable to me....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @seanq said.

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please correct me if I’m wrong. On a coin like this that mostly comes weakly struck. Even though this one is very well struck, the set collector would pass and look for a “problem” free example. On the other side. The variety/error collector would also pass as the cost for that date/mintmark is much higher than a common date with the same error. So I would think it would take away from the value, not add.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel the blemish on the forehead would remove any increased value to either the strike or clip.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vetter said:
    Please correct me if I’m wrong. On a coin like this that mostly comes weakly struck. Even though this one is very well struck, the set collector would pass and look for a “problem” free example. On the other side. The variety/error collector would also pass as the cost for that date/mintmark is much higher than a common date with the same error. So I would think it would take away from the value, not add.

Not wrong at all, dealer Pete Bishal used to call these "white elephants" and said they were impossible to sell for exactly the reasons you outlined. That shrinking premium I mentioned for high grade / key date errors can actually become a discount where the error is perceived as a bug instead of a feature.

For this particular coin I don't think it applies as the pool of Buffalo Nickel collectors is wide and deep enough you can find someone to appreciate both the strike and the error. But your point is very well taken.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help. Sorry for the photos. The coin is really nice and well struck, it also exhibits the Blasely effect.

The blemish is actually not there but a reflection of my iphone camera lens!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file