Home Sports Talk

Rogers wants to leave the Pack

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

breaking news.

ESPN just released that Aaron Rogers is so disgruntled with the pack that he wants out.

Where will he land?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew he would want out, he refused to say it from the get go.

Honestly if I’m the Packers I don’t know what I’d do. They were close last year, without Rodgers they take a step back big time

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perk, If BB were somehow to attempt a trade tonight, would you want Rodgers with the Pats?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 3:16PM

This has been building up since that garbage field goal call when they lost to the Bucs in the championship game last season. I thought the 49ers would have been a good spot because he grew up in Cali and he was a 49ers fan I believe.

@craig44 said:
    Perk, If BB were somehow to attempt a trade tonight, would you want Rodgers with the Pats?

I can’t stand him really but yea I’d take him 100%. His talent is real although I do think he keys on on his favorite receiver too much, it was Jordy Nelson and now Davante Adams and I think Defenses realize this and adjust at key points in games yet he still try’s to force it. That’s my only gripe about his game management skills

@doubledragon said:
    This has been building up since that garbage field goal call when they lost to the Bucs in the championship game last season. I thought the 49ers would have been a good spot because he grew up in Cali and he was a 49ers fan I believe.

But it was his own fault they were in that position though, he forced the ball to Adam’s with two defenders in him rather than running it in.

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

But it was his own fault they were in that position though, he forced the ball to Adam’s with two defenders in him rather than running it in.

Yeah, he should have took off with the ball himself, that was a bonehead play on his part. I would have took off with the ball with all that open space he had in front of him. The drafting of Jordan Love probably pissed him off a bit too.

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Yeah, he should have took off with the ball himself, that was a bonehead play on his part. I would have took off with the ball with all that open space he had in front of him. The drafting of Jordan Love probably pissed him off a bit too.

Agreed on both points

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

He wouldn't dare sign with the Pats. The comparisons to Brady would crush him (in my opinion).

Oh, and just one more thing before I call it a night. Aaron Rodgers has said he would just love to become the full time host of Jeopardy, and takes the job very seriously. In fact, when he did his stint as host of Jeopardy, he had post-it notes stuck to the host's podium to remind himself of how to properly conduct himself while hosting the show. Here is one of his more interesting reminder notes. It's a little difficult to read, BUTT I know what it says. I'll leave it for you to decipher.

Perk, If BB were somehow to attempt a trade tonight, would you want Rodgers with the Pats?> @perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I can’t stand him really but yea I’d take him 100%. His talent is real although I do think he keys on on his favorite receiver too much, it was Jordy Nelson and now Davante Adams and I think Defenses realize this and adjust at key points in games yet he still try’s to force it. That’s my only gripe about his game management skills

I agree. I would have to hold my nose, but I would take him

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've gleaned about his personality merely from news/headlines, Rodgers seems to me the kind of guy that maybe wouldn't give 100% (intentionally or not) if the Packers refused to trade him and he had to play for them in 2021. He seems awfully moody.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's a nut case. A very, very, talented nut case!

He's free to lose as many games as he wants when they play the Vikings!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@doubledragon said:
    Oh, and just one more thing before I call it a night. Aaron Rodgers has said he would just love to become the full time host of Jeopardy, and takes the job very seriously. In fact, when he did his stint as host of Jeopardy, he had post-it notes stuck to the host's podium to remind himself of how to properly conduct himself while hosting the show. Here is one of his more interesting reminder notes. It's a little difficult to read, BUTT I know what it says. I'll leave it for you to decipher.

Deep down I think he would be more than happy to do Jeapordy full time and forget about Football

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

There was no chance a 37 year old Rodgers would have run 10 yards for a touchdown on that play (he released his pass from the 10 yard line). Maybe when he was 10 years younger, but he would have been stopped well short of the goal line. 10 yards in an eternity in the NFL especially with how fast defenders are these days. Now, I do think he would have gotten inside the 5 yard line and with the 2 minute warning they would have had a better chance to go for it on 4th down.

Robb

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rumors are the two teams he wants to play for are Raiders and Broncos. Lmao
    Really? This division isn’t Trubisky, Cousins or Goff. You’re going to play Mahomes Herbert and Carr twice a year. Maybe he wants to be in LA to host Jeopardy in his spare time. To me he’s just a whiny b••••.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zach Kruse
    @zachkruse2
    ·
    1h
    ESPN's
    @AdamSchefter
    says Aaron Rodgers has told some teammates he doesn't plan to return.

this is getting juicy...

@fergie23 said:
    There was no chance a 37 year old Rodgers would have run 10 yards for a touchdown on that play (he released his pass from the 10 yard line). Maybe when he was 10 years younger, but he would have been stopped well short of the goal line. 10 yards in an eternity in the NFL especially with how fast defenders are these days. Now, I do think he would have gotten inside the 5 yard line and with the 2 minute warning they would have had a better chance to go for it on 4th down.

Robb

No chance? I seriously disagree with you on that

If I had to guess, he stays in Green Bay. Why? Because the owners are going to collude and make sure the NFL doesn't quickly turn into the NBA.

@perkdog said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

This is a play from week 10 vs the Jags last season, and you can see Rodgers is more than capable of running it in from that distance.

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

This is a play from week 10 vs the Jags last season, and you can see Rodgers is more than capable of running it in from that distance.

Of course

edited April 30, 2021 3:55PM

NFL insider Ian Rapoport is reporting that both the Packers and Aaron Rodgers are firm on their stance, the Packers don't want to budge on trading him and Rodgers doesn't want to play for the Packers, and Aaron Rodgers retiring is a serious consideration.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/sports/aaron-rodgers-retiring-is-a-serious-consideration-nfl-insider-says.amp

You know what I think? I think this whole mess is because Aaron Rodgers just wants that Jeopardy gig. They only tape the show 46 days a year, and he's gotten a taste of it, and now he wants that job. He just wants into our living rooms every evening, yes he does, you sly devil you.

@doubledragon said:
    You know what I think? I think this whole mess is because Aaron Rodgers just wants that Jeopardy gig. They only tape the show 46 days a year, and he's gotten a taste of it, and now he wants that job. He just wants into our living rooms every evening, yes he does, you sly devil you.

If I’m the Packers I’m doing 1 of 2 things. Tell Rodgers to either sit out or honor his Packers contract, or ask for a ridiculous amount of draft picks like a few 1st and 2nd round picks. But either way I think he wants to focus on Jeapordy

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i liked him hosting jeopardy , he got better as he went along.

He cant follow in Brady's footsteps , no one could though. The same could be said for Alex Trebec come to think of it

Yes, it's all over the internet, apparently the conflict between the Packers and Rodgers has reached the threatening retirement stage.

Packers Wire

Rift between Aaron Rodgers and Packers reaches 'threaten retirement' stage
    By Zach Kruse

Boy, that escalated quickly.

The burgeoning rift between Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers has already reached the “threaten retirement” stage.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, retirement is under “serious consideration” for Rodgers unless the situation with the Packers is “repaired to his liking,” a vague but ominous phrase that could be interpreted a million different ways.

His frustration with the franchise boiling over, Rodgers reportedly wants out of Green Bay, and he’s now willing to threaten retirement to help get it done.

Rodgers, who turns 38 in December, would have to pay back a big chunk of money if he decided to retire. Per Jason Fitzgerald of Over the Cap, nearly $30 million from Rodgers’ current contract would be subject to forfeiture if he retired from the NFL.

The report reeks of an attempt from Rodgers’ side to escalate the conflict and gain some control back over his future, either through a trade out of Green Bay or some kind of massive concession or financial commitment from the Packers.

Trading Rodgers before June 1st would actually cost the Packers money on the salary cap in 2021, although the move would completely clear him from the team’s cap in 2022.

As Fitzgerald wrote, the most likely moment of divorce between Rodgers and the Packers has always looked like 2022. Rodgers is coming off an MVP season and unwilling to be a placeholder, so he might be trying to accelerate his departure.

he is not retiring. he is, however, desperate to leave it appears.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Doubledragon, that play is not even remotely similar beyond the fact he is running 10 yards, the middle linebacker had to reverse his field before trying to catch up.

For the actual play in question, #90 (Jason Pierre-Paul) has an angle and is already running in pursuit, #92 (William Gholston) has a head of steam with a chance of running him down from behind or cleaning up if Rodgers tries to juke Pierre-Paul, and the DB at the goal line also has a good chance of beating him to the pylon - he would be the only player in a similar situation to #55 in the clip however he is a defensive back (i.e. fast) vs a middle linebacker (i.e. not as fast or as quick to change direction). I definitely think he should have run the ball, but no chance he would have scored a touchdown unless the Bucs did a Keystone Cops routine trying to tackle him.

Robb

When I watched that play on tv as it was happening, I was shocked that he didn't run it in. And that was the immediate reaction of many others I saw online. It felt like he had it. But I haven't rewatched it, that I remember, and I might be wrong.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

This stalemate can finally end now,not only did the Packers draft a Wr for Aaron the guy even had the same last name,Amari Rodgers. :D

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

I disagree also. He was getting to the goal line or just short and absolutely made the incorrect decision to force a pass instead of running.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe he would have made it but they would have been closer on 4th down.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Packers drafted an OL. Wonder if that makes him happy enough to stay. 😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Looking at the last few years and putting the pieces together, I think a big factor at play here is what happened after LeFleur was hired. There were stories that came out saying that the Packers CEO called Rodgers after the hire and told him about it. And that during that conversation he told Rodgers "don't be the problem". So not only was Rodgers upset by that comment, he was upset about that conversation being leaked to the media.

edited May 1, 2021 7:08AM

And then they moved up to draft another QB , so Rodgers had his agent wait until draft day this year to release this story about wanting out of GB as payback.

I’ll tell you there are worse places to play than Green Bay. The division has been dominated by the Pack. They gave him a ton of weapons. They hired “his guy” after he got McCarthy fired. WTF is his problem. Serious question What is his problem?

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:
    I’ll tell you there are worse places to play than Green Bay. The division has been dominated by the Pack. They gave him a ton of weapons. They hired “his guy” after he got McCarthy fired. WTF is his problem. Serious question What is his problem?

He thinks he is bigger than the Green Bay Packers. Simple concept. Screw him and his weirdo self

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

He thinks he is bigger than the Green Bay Packers. Simple concept. Screw him and his weirdo self

The team trading up to draft a QB really upset him. I get that. But he handled it poorly.

In general, he just has a history of not being the leader that the team needs, and one that is commensurate with his talent/play level. He throws people under the bus. Is passive aggressive. I could go on. But at the same time I have to say that the Packers, despite their success, have sometimes had to be dragged along by his talent a bit too much. But his reputation precedes him.

And I think this thing with the field goal (and in all seriousness the Jeopardy incident) might have made him snap. 😂

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

The team trading up to draft a QB really upset him. I get that. But he handled it poorly.

In general, he just has a history of not being the leader that the team needs, and one that is commensurate with his talent/play level. He throws people under the bus. Is passive aggressive. I could go on. But at the same time I have to say that the Packers, despite their success, have sometimes had to be dragged along by his talent a bit too much. But his reputation precedes him.

And I think this thing with the field goal (and in all seriousness the Jeopardy incident) might have made him snap. 😂

The thing that is kind of ironic is, didn't the same thing happen when he was drafted to replace Brett Favre? Now he knows what it feels like to have a young, hungry, thirsty, muddy, crazy, insane, quarterback ready to take his job from him just like he did to Brett Favre.

He is flat out saying unless they fire the GM he will not be back. This is a bad trend we are seeing, first you got Watson trying to dictate to management who they should sign and before he jammed himself up he was playing the I want out game, now you got Rodgers telling management who can’t be a GM? Players need to concentrate on playing not on management, in other words Shut the hell up Aaron.

Funny (to me);

A reporter asked Rick Spielman if he had any kind of discussion with Cousins before he drafted a QB this year. Spielman very sharply replied that "we don't consult with any players on the draft, our job is to pick players to make the team better".

The very next reporter tried to get cute and ask a similar question and Spielman bluntly said "I already answered that".

I am not a big Spielman fan, he's screwed up MOST of the 1st round picks, but I sure like that answer.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

I dont like when players try to usurp ownership/management.

as the rock used to say, "know your role Jabroni"

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    He is flat out saying unless they fire the GM he will not be back. This is a bad trend we are seeing, first you got Watson trying to dictate to management who they should sign and before he jammed himself up he was playing the I want out game, now you got Rodgers telling management who can’t be a GM? Players need to concentrate on playing not on management, in other words Shut the hell up Aaron.

Didn't the trend start with Elway and then Eli Manning?
    Didn't they tell certain teams that if they drafted them they wouldn't play for them?
    I think that's one reason I always disliked Elway, he thought he was above the NFL.
    Don't remember the particulars, I'm old, but I hope my memory is at least possibly partly correct.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

He should honor his contract, a bit different than Elway and Manning telling the teams in advance that they don't want to play there.

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Didn't they tell certain teams that if they drafted them they wouldn't play for them?
    I think that's one reason I always disliked Elway, he thought he was above the NFL.
    Don't remember the particulars, I'm old, but I hope my memory is at least possibly partly correct.

I remember both situations, I think this is definitely different than what Rodgers and even Watson have done. Either way if I’m an owner or GM the last person I’m going to let dictate my job is a player.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wondered how coaches and team administration are supposed to have any real authority over players when the players make more money than the people who are supposed to be their leaders. Most players "get it" and understand that they each play a valuable role in the organization, but it's not so easy when things go sideways.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

@AFLfan said:
    I've always wondered how coaches and team administration are supposed to have any real authority over players when the players make more money than the people who are supposed to be their leaders. Most players "get it" and understand that they each play a valuable role in the organization, but it's not so easy when things go sideways.

I think it falls on management 100%. They pussy foot around issues with these guys that they have paid millions of dollars, I can say this if I were an owner or GM and a situation like this ( Rodgers ) came about the options I would lay out would be simple. Play or sit out and don’t get paid. That’s it, figure out what you want to do and let me know.

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

I think the story went that Johns father didn't want him to play in Baltimore and so they forced a trade. At least that is what I remember.