Very nice error coins :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are great. Can I get a layman’s terms explanation of what/how?

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found these pics of a coin I sold some time ago, it's a later stage reverse brockage:

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice errors!

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owned this one a long time ago:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always enjoy seeing real mint errors with the naked eye and not a scanning electron microscope.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    Those are great. Can I get a layman’s terms explanation of what/how?

Just realized that nobody addressed your question. Brockages occur when an already struck coin is struck into the next planchet that is fed into the coining chamber. Typically some part of the design from the previously struck coin ends up visible in the struck through area.

A "full brockage" occurs when a coin adheres to the die and is fully struck into the next planchet. The first coin struck by the obscured die can end up a "mirror brockage". The Buffalo nickel a couple of posts above this is a textbook example of a mirror brockage, where a coin stuck to the reverse die (which was the hammer die on Buffalo nickels), and was then pushed into the next planchet, leaving a perfect imprint.

If the brockage maker does not come loose from the die, it will continue striking multiple planchets, and the raised design will eventually get flattened and distorted from the force of the strikes. The Lincoln Cent I posted is an example of a "late stage brockage", where the reverse image is still visible but is distorted, and the obverse is beginning to show through. Eventually the image wears off completely and you have a plain old die cap.

I hope this makes sense, feel free to ask more questions (or correct me if I messed anything up).

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @seanq!
    Do people ever find a series of brockages at different stages of the same stick coon?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some really great examples of this mint error. And thanks to @seanq for the great explanation of the issue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    1988P 25c Full 1st strike obverse brockage on reverse

What is going on with the obverse? Almost looks like an incomplete clip.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

The current owner posted photos of your old coin in 2019:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12444588/#Comment_12444588

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 6:36AM

Die struck obverse is a wee bit misaligned & a fin of metal got pushed up K2 - K6 likely due to double thick, stacked blank and struck Quarters in the collar

@gonzer said:

@LindyS said:
    1988P 25c Full 1st strike obverse brockage on reverse

What is going on with the obverse? Almost looks like an incomplete clip.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 6:58AM

@yosclimber said:

@cmerlo1 said:

The current owner posted photos of your old coin in 2019:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12444588/#Comment_12444588

Wow- that's awesome! I cherrypicked it off ebay probably around 2004-ish. It was in a PCI photo slab (which I think I kept after I removed the coin- it's around here somewhere) and popped up as a newly-listed with a BIN of $250 so I snapped it up. I submitted it to NGC after cracking it out and later sold it on eBay to a prominent error dealer for a nice profit. Glad it found a nice collection to reside in!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Brockage on dime. :)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Owned this one at one time - should have kept it, dang it ........

That is amazing, and I agree. You should've kept THAT!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a big fan of full brockages. Here is the only one that I own. A very iconic design in the Civil War Token series, D. SKIDMORE SENECA FALLS, NY, featuring William Bridgens' eagle smoking a cigar:

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easton Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file