Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the Grade?

CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2021 10:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just bored and thought we could have some fun with Market grading Vs Technical grading (weighed against Market Acceptable) and where do you think PCGS landed?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll guess AU50

Mr_Spud

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an interesting one, XF45?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me down for AU53. I almost guessed higher.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

I've found it's a safe bet to always agree with @MFeld

+1

• Options

@pointfivezero said:

@MFeld said:

I've found it's a safe bet to always agree with @MFeld

+1

Thank you, but you should definitely change "always" to "sometimes"! :#

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 or 58 is my guess.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

My first instinct was 50

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, I had typed the actual grade and then was swayed by the other guesses.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@relicsncoins said:
    AU55 or 58 is my guess.

yes

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is 50. I know that seems too low, but too many prominent digs, scratches, and the big ole black mark. :'(

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of luster but the coin struck me as an AU53. I'm guessing netted down from a 55.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options

That was my 1st impression until I really looked at it!

@tradedollarnut said:

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade $'s
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much luster to be anything less than a 55...I think I'll run with that, although I could see it a notch higher...

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Same here. Ultimately, I couldn’t get past the upper portion of the eagle’s left facing wing, among a few other areas.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2021 4:57PM

@tradedollarnut said:

You sir are correct as a grading champ (former :p ) should be.

Lightly processed MS 62 net graded up from58 (full mint bloom with minor field rub) net graded down 61 for minor device dings and rubber burn Obv , minor strike weakness rev —- AKA Slider

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice dollar and type. i'll say No Grade due to the planchet flaw. i've seen so many mixed results but this one is quite visible.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

LOL! Maybe he cheated and looked up the cert #! :D

@Crypto said:
    What If I told you PCGS > @tradedollarnut said:

Lightly processed MS 62 net graded up from58 (full mint bloom with minor field rub) net graded down 61 for minor device dings and rubber burn Obv , minor strike weakness rev —- AKA Slider

• Options
    edited April 29, 2021 4:55PM

@amwldcoin said:
    LOL! Maybe he cheated and looked up the cert #! :D

@Crypto said:
    What If I told you PCGS > @tradedollarnut said:

I would take TDN’s opinion on a dollar before PCGS’s.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2021 5:04PM

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Same here. Ultimately, I couldn’t get past the upper portion of the eagle’s left facing wing, among a few other areas.

The rev carries less weight of course and the Obv is nice strike wise

The type 2/2 large S is a very rare hub type that is shared with only the equally rare 76p 2/2. All other 2/2 dies came of a different hub series that mostly carried the series to its conclusion. Most 76 large S come with the weak sinister wing

It’s almost like a few prototype master dies from William Barbers redesign (75-76 post the similar 20c launch) to address striking contrasts made it into a few production dies.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

I'd guess 55. But apparently it a 61.. Go figure.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have guessed 55 and clearly would have been wrong. Clearly not my series.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say 58, but the grade came up as a 61. I still like it as a 58, looked like a lot of gray in the obverse fields.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the game, but thought 58 before I got to the reveal. Surprised at 61.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not guess as the grade was posted... would have been wrong anyway

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@tradedollarnut said:

That’s strike, not wear.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@tradedollarnut said:

That’s strike, not wear.

Apparently, but I couldn’t tell from the image and other areas appeared to display wear, too. Hopefully, in hand, I would have reached a different conclusion.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 7:35AM
  • Options

@Crypto said:
    @MFeld daylight photos

Thank you. I probably would have guessed 58 based on those. There are some areas that look better compared to the previous shots.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Crypto said:
    @MFeld daylight photos

Thank you. I probably would have guessed 58 based on those. There are some areas that look better compared to the previous shots.

Slider right? 58 - 61 is a theological difference more so than a technical one. PCGS puts a premium on luster so this one slid up. This was sort of the point of this example. If collectors don’t fully comprehend how PCGS values luster with their market grading (one of the bigger differences between NGC grading) then the ability to buy raw, cross, gauge ranking (for the grade ) will be impacted to down right futile.

• Options

@Crypto said:

@MFeld said:

@Crypto said:
    @MFeld daylight photos

Slider right? 58 - 61 is a theological difference more so than a technical one. PCGS puts a premium on luster so this one slid up. This was sort of the point of this example. If collectors don’t fully comprehend how PCGS values luster with their market grading (one of the bigger differences between NGC grading) then the ability to buy raw, cross, gauge ranking (for the grade ) will be impacted to down right futile.

Agreed. And while no one has to agree with how the grading companies grade, it certainly behooves them to be aware of it.

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very educational post, thanks Crypto and subsequent posters.

When I saw the first pics Crypto posted, I thought 58. But with the daylight pics I can see it as easily a 61. I'd gladly buy it at that price. So I think exercise demonstrates not only how PCGS views luster but how lighting affects our perception of luster.

• Options

I graded it by the picture presented! o:)

@DDR said:

When I saw the first pics Crypto posted, I thought 58. But with the daylight pics I can see it as easily a 61. I'd gladly buy it at that price. So I think exercise demonstrates not only how PCGS views luster but how lighting affects our perception of luster.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 9:02AM

@amwldcoin said:
    I graded it by the picture presented! o:)

@DDR said:

It’s a good point, mint bloom will look different via different lights / cameras but the trick with grading anything online is looking for areas that appear unmolested and creating a baseline and then coming up with a percentage of luster bloom. Even if there is rub if it is on top of luster and the rest is unobstructed, it will often find its self in UNC holders.

If areas are rubbed past the frost layer (unless specifically bag chatter) that is where AU often starts

One must get to the total coin starting point and then add up the pluses and minuses to get the grade

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file