Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bid pricing on recent silver proof sets?

TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got 7 silver proof sets (regular set, not the quarters only) I’m thinking of selling off. I’m not familiar with what the average Greysheet bid price is as that’s what I’m expecting to be offered this weekend at my local coin show. Can anyone give me a realistic and/or reasonable expectation of what a good offer is or what I should be asking? For reference, these are the dates: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2019.

Much appreciated!

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    I’ve got 7 silver proof sets (regular set, not the quarters only) I’m thinking of selling off. I’m not familiar with what the average Greysheet bid price is as that’s what I’m expecting to be offered this weekend at my local coin show. Can anyone give me a realistic and/or reasonable expectation of what a good offer is or what I should be asking? For reference, these are the dates: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2019.

Much appreciated!

The silver proof sets typically trade well back of bid. I would expect to get offered closer to 20% back of bid. For example bid on the 2011 is $47 but jump at any offer of $40 or more.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly the best way to get money out of them is to break them up.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, so best is basically melt price. I figured as much. Thanks!

Breaking it up is a possibility but may be more effort than it’s worth to me. I’m not desperate or anything. Just wanting to clear some space and get a few bucks for what I really enjoy.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had a 95 or a 99 you could do just a little better. Other than that you are right, pretty much melt.

I used to have a 99 but sold that a long time ago :)

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't be surprised if the dealer appears to have little interest in buying them for anything more than melt value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the demand for the 2019 puts it above melt as well. The 2020 is still way above melt, though that’s not on your list!

Higashiyama

Yeah, don’t have that one. I couldn’t bring myself to buy it. I do have 2018-2020 LESPS but I’m planning on keeping those.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree 20 pct behind bid sounds like a good offer on PF sets.

Coins & Currency
  • batumibatumi Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

I too have a '99 set that I WISHED I would have sold a long time ago!

@batumi said:

@TurtleCat said:

I too have a '99 set that I WISHED I would have sold a long time ago!

Lol, yeah, I think I sold it in 2003 or 2004 when I was on this forum before on the BST. The only thing that makes these not so bad is silver was much cheaper when I bought them.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have silver proof sets up until about 2009 or 2010. Would not expect to get much more than melt for them. Have not even looked in that box since I put the 2010 away. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file