Home Sports Talk
Options

Ohtani Great Moment

daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Topps Now made a card regarding his performance last night that says, in part "Shohei is also now the first pitcher to record at least nine strikeouts, have at least two hits, and three runs since Luis Tiant in 1961." That is obviously not true, but what did they mean?

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

You say it’s not true, but who else has done it?
    The hits and the runs are from his own batting, not what he gave up as a pitcher.
    Pitchers haven’t hit much on a long time.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shohei Ohtani was the first pitcher to start a game with a share of the home run lead since 1921.

I doubt I’ll need to tell you who did it before Ohtani...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 5:04AM

@daltex said:
    Topps Now made a card regarding his performance last night that says, in part "Shohei is also now the first pitcher to record at least nine strikeouts, have at least two hits, and three runs since Luis Tiant in 1961." That is obviously not true, but what did they mean?

Why wouldn’t it be true? DH starts in the 1970s and pitchers hit before then.

And if I recall, Luis Tiant was actually pretty darn good with the bat.

ETA: I see what you mean now, @daltex

Luis Tiant’s rookie year was 1964.

I’m guessing they meant 1971.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

I think it's great that when unearthing meaningless garbage like this, they couldn't get it right.

What's next? "First guy to pitch a complete game, lead the league in HR while drinking beer and eating hot dogs while playing with a guy who hasn't missed a game in 10 years "?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is definitely exciting. Many players before him could possibly have been doing what he is doing (playing offense and pitching) but they are always forced to go one way or the other. So it is fun to see this. I am happy they allowed it. Baseball needs excitement.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    He is definitely exciting. Many players before him could possibly have been doing what he is doing (playing offense and pitching) but they are always forced to go one way or the other. So it is fun to see this. I am happy they allowed it. Baseball needs excitement.

I wish him nothing but the best.

Baseball needs all the help it can get. What's next the 2 strike 3 ball rule?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's next? "First guy to pitch a complete game, lead the league in HR while drinking beer and eating hot dogs while playing with a guy who hasn't missed a game in 10 years "?

I believe Babe Ruth actually did this nearly 100 years ago.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:

Yes, but we didn't have to hear about it.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 1:50PM

@daltex said:
    Topps Now made a card regarding his performance last night that says, in part "Shohei is also now the first pitcher to record at least nine strikeouts, have at least two hits, and three runs since Luis Tiant in 1961." That is obviously not true, but what did they mean?>

>
    @1951WheatiesPremium said:

@daltex said:

i believe it was actually in 1967 that Tiant did it. That is what the Angels announcers said during the game.

Steve

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:

Actually, Ruth never did that. His last complete game was a 6-5 win against the Red Sox on Oct 1, 1933. Lou Gehrig started his streak on Jun 1, 1925. Also, Ruth did not lead the league in HRs in 1933, as he hit 34 HRs, while Jimmy Foxx hit 48.

Steve

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@daltex said:
    Topps Now made a card regarding his performance last night that says, in part "Shohei is also now the first pitcher to record at least nine strikeouts, have at least two hits, and three runs since Luis Tiant in 1961." That is obviously not true, but what did they mean?>

>
    @1951WheatiesPremium said:

@daltex said:

i believe it was actually in 1967 that Tiant did it. That is what the Angels announcers said during the game.

Steve

Thank you.