Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

4 Major St. Gaudens $20 Types Instead of just 3?: 46 and 48 Star With Motto

brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgive me if this has been done to death, but I tried a quick search and found nothing. Many of the type sets in the Registry include three St. Gaudens $20's: 1) High Relief 1907; 2) No Motto; 3) With Motto. But in 1912 New Mexico and Arizona were added as states, so the number of stars on the obverse went from 46 to 48. Its a pretty obvious change, as the added stars were just glopped onto the lower right obvserse, apparently without re-spacing any of the existing stars. So shouldn't there be two major With Motto types, one with 46 stars and one with 48? I've yet to see a type set that includes this distinction.

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be more significant if both types exist for 1912, and one is rarer than the other.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2021 1:57PM

Also look at the 1908 No Motto coins.
    There are "1907 obverse" coins mixed in with the "Barber obverse" coins. No distinction is made on the insert even though they both have the "blind eagle" on the back.

(1908 Motto coins all have the new reverse AND obverse w/ petite Liberty & eagle w/ pupils)

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2021 2:10PM

(1) Ultra High Relief 1907;
    (2) High Relief Wire Edge 1907;
    (3) High Relief Flat Edge 1907;
    (4) No Motto 1907/1908;
    (5) 1908 - 1933 Motto;
    (6) Proof versions;
    (7) Possibly add the one you identified, distinguishing between 46/48 stars.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Precedent. Look at the various early gold and silver type coins, where the star counts varied as states joined the Union. Those are not recognized as types.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Indian gold $10 also went from 46 stars on the edge to 48 stars on the edge in 1912.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brianc1959 said:
    ...3) With Motto. But in 1912 New Mexico and Arizona were added as states, so the number of stars on the obverse went from 46 to 48. Its a pretty obvious change, as the added stars were just glopped onto the lower right obvserse, apparently without re-spacing any of the existing stars...

I'm sure I heard of it, but thought it was on the edge like the $10 Eagle. Didn't remember it being on the front.

It's pretty obvious when in a side by side comparison.

I could see the case being made for it. Out of historical habit probably only scattered individuals will collect them that way though.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would identify that as evolution of the coin (due to national growth) rather than a variety. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

what the others does make sense but there are coins out there with varied star counts recognized as varieties. fwiw

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Pop quiz!
    What state was recognized by a star on a U.S. coin the year before it became a state?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Pop quiz!
    What state was recognized by a star on a U.S. coin the year before it became a state?

Vermont

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many ways to define types.
    You could define it as every time the hub changes.
    Some hub changes are rather minor and not easy to see, though.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@CaptHenway said:
    Pop quiz!

Vermont

Nope. Michigan, the 26th star on the reverse of the 1836 Gobrecht Dollar. Michigan's becoming a state was held up due to the Toledo War.

• Options

@CaptHenway I said Vermont because they issued a coin with the legend "Quarta Decima Stella" which is Latin for "14th Star" in anticipation of becoming the 14th state which occurred in 1791.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file