Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's up with this Franklin?

scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did NGC accidentally label this a MS66, or is this just a proof like business strike?

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll go with your first option (mislabeled Proof).

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely a proof coin with a business strike label.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Well, that's a shame. I thought it looked like a proof, but I purchased it from ebay anyways because I was curious. I guess curiosity killed the cat this time. No returns of course. They have another 1962 like this up for sale as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-50c-FRANKLIN-HALF-DOLLAR-NGC-MS-66/284265858724

• Options

@scotty4449 said:
    Well, that's a shame. I thought it looked like a proof, but I purchased it from ebay anyways because I was curious. I guess curiosity killed the cat this time. No returns of course. They have another 1962 like this up for sale as well.

Why not return it? It’s not as described.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@scotty4449 said:

Why not return it? It’s not as described.

Yes-it's a returnable item regardless of what the seller says.

• Options

It’s about a $25 coin.

• Options

Thanks, I will have to try that!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes ... it's a proof coin not a mint state.

• Options

@scotty4449 said:
    Thanks, I will have to try that!

Pardon me for being pushy. Don’t try it, do it.

• Options

It is done! What happens if they dispute the return? I have never had to deal with this before.

• Options

Other posters here are far more familiar with the process and can hopefully explain. But I believe that if you take it up with eBay and state that (and how) the item is not as described, your chances of success are excellent.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scotty4449 said:
    It is done! What happens if they dispute the return? I have never had to deal with this before.

I don't think they have any recourse. It was not as described. If you filed the return as a SNAD they will.be on the hook for shipping both ways.

• Options

This is what I submitted:

Reason for return: Doesn't match description or photos
    Comments: This is a mislabeled proof coin worth $25, not an actual MS66 coin.

I guess my concern would be that the seller could claim the coin does match description and photos and is not liable for any mislabeling by NGC.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've heard, ebay does not hassle buyers over a return like this.

NGC made a mistake but that is not your loss. The seller can take it up with NGC.

Furthermore, if this seller has other similar mechanical errors, it coud be that they seek them out to list on eBay like this.

• Options

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it has been very helpful. This has been a great learning opportunity at least.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... the '63 is a proof.... However, the '62 does not look like a proof....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@scotty4449 said:
    This is what I submitted:

Reason for return: Doesn't match description or photos
    Comments: This is a mislabeled proof coin worth $25, not an actual MS66 coin.

I guess my concern would be that the seller could claim the coin does match description and photos and is not liable for any mislabeling by NGC.

I wouldn't have stated that the coin doesn't match the photos, because it probably does.

However, there's a big difference between the seller not being liable for mislabeling on the part of NGC, vs. a buyer being able to return an items that was not as described.

• Options

The seller accepted the return. Thanks for your excellent advice! Without it I would have just cracked the coin and put it in a folder with the rest of my raw Franklin proofs. It would have been by far my most expensive raw Franklin! :D

• Options

@scotty4449 said:
    The seller accepted the return. Thanks for your excellent advice! Without it I would have just cracked the coin and put it in a folder with the rest of my raw Franklin proofs. It would have been by far my most expensive raw Franklin! :D

Thanks for the update and very glad to hear it!

• Options

FYI, the pics in the OP were my pics. These are the pics in the ebay listing:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file