Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Rofles Express and Super express fun!

RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 19, 2021 11:56AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hello! I’ve decided I’m gonna be doing a one-card super express sub each week, that’ll either be part of my collection or a card I hope to plan on selling! I’ll be picking cards that I think have a best shot at a “10” or have decent value if an “8” or “9,” and will be mostly from vintage that I’ve already collected. Sports will be baseball, basketball, and football!
So from the pool of my vintage cards, this is what I’ve pulled so far:

And first up, hopefully going out later today will be:

Willis Reed!
PSA 10: pop 2
PSA 9: pop 44

Can’t wait to see how this one is gonna do, I’m pretty pumped!!

I’ll post my Reggie from last week when it arrives today

I’ll post new candidates as I find them in my stash o’ cards; I have some ‘55 baseball showing up today that I’ll add to the thread too!
With all that’s going on, I figured this is something that would be fun to share with y’all! Comments/opinions welcome! Let’s have some fun!

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2021 11:23AM

The corners and centering of the Reed certainly look 9 worthy....my only concern would be the bottom edge and the PD on his chest. Not sure where you get all these beautiful raw cards, but best of luck!

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    The corners and centering of the Reed certainly look 9 worthy....my only concern would be the bottom edge and the PD on his chest. Not sure where you get all these beautiful raw cards, but best of luck!

Haha thanks! I’ve been fortunate in some eBay auctions 😁

• bobbybradyjrbobbybradyjr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

That Reed is a killer, as is the Finkel.

2 of my all-time favorites. Good luck!

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

On the back of one of Finkel's early year cards, it was stated he was to replace Bill Russell, if memory serves me right...hahahahaha

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty cards. With todays grading standards I think you are 7/8 on that Reed.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

Really nice shape cards. Isn't Super Express really expensive?? I would wait forever and stick them in a bulk submission. Those were cheap cards 6 months ago. Have fun whatever you choose.

@bobbybradyjr said:
    That Reed is a killer, as is the Finkel.

2 of my all-time favorites. Good luck!

Thanks!

@80sOPC said:
    Beauty cards. With todays grading standards I think you are 7/8 on that Reed.

My pic isn’t the best, but it’s sharp! I’m hoping it grades higher than that, but will still be great in my collection!

• Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

@Rofles said:

@PaulMaul said:

Haha thanks! I’ve been fortunate in some eBay auctions 😁

Those are really nice. Any raw card sellers on eBay you recommend? GM Cards? Others?

@Geoff76 said:
    Those are really nice. Any raw card sellers on eBay you recommend? GM Cards? Others?

I do recommend Greg Morris cards; the basketball, with the exception of Reed were all bought for less than 20$ each; he classified them as NM-MT or BETTER. So why not eh? He auctions some raw beauts, and can be had for a steal if you play it right.

Not sure many realize this about Willis Reed, but:
    In 1982, Reed was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.[1] In 1996, he was voted one of the "50 Greatest Players in NBA History".

•   2× NBA champion (1970, 1973)
    •   2× NBA Finals MVP (1970, 1973)
    •   NBA Most Valuable Player (1970)
    •   7× NBA All-Star (1965–1971)
    •   NBA All-Star Game MVP (1970)
    •   All-NBA First Team (1970)
    •   4× All-NBA Second Team (1967–1969, 1971)
    •   NBA All-Defensive First Team (1970)
    •   NBA Rookie of the Year (1965)
    •   NBA All-Rookie Team (1965)
    •   NBA 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
    •   No. 19 retired by New York Knicks

Up next, which should be arriving at PSA sometime today, is my 1955 Jim Gilliam! Let the nail-biting begin!

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭

Beautiful card....good luck...be sure to let us know how it grades!

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭

is the circle over the "N" in Brooklyn a known print mark?

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

psa 8? that one lil fish eye.

extremely clean card though.

@azvike said:
    is the circle over the "N" in Brooklyn a known print mark?

Actually the ‘N’ is over the print mark…

@blurryface said:
    psa 8? that one lil fish eye.

extremely clean card though.

…that I hope covers up the fish eye enough to garner a “9”. I will be very happy with an 8, but THRILLED if it hits 9! 😁

How much are these subs costing you? Very nice cards by the way.

@Mickey71 said:

The Gilliam is my first $200 sub. The Reggie and the Willis Reed were $300 subs! Thought the first 2 had a shot at a 10; I’m REALLY hoping I get a 10 (I mean, who doesn’t want a 10 on a sub? Lol), on the Gilliam; but of course would be absolutely thrilled with a 9 too, even an 8.5 would be stellar!

Here’s my next Subbed card going out Monday Super-express; this I feel has an absolute shot at a 10:

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

Ken Reynolds was my high school coach/gym teacher!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

Beautiful card

edited August 21, 2021 10:31AM

@Bosox1976 said:
    Love it!

Ken Reynolds was my high school coach/gym teacher!

No kidding?! That is awesome!

@Flux said:
    Beautiful card

Thanks!

• sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

Love 1971's .... always will!
    Good Luck with the submission and the 10 hopeful expectation.

BTW - where did such a gem-of-a-card come from?

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow beauty. Even a 9 would be great. !

Small fish eye oval above the T in PITCHERS? Or that the scan?

edited August 21, 2021 11:38AM

The Reynolds has an absolute shot at a 9, which is an incredible grade for this set. I don’t believe any 1971 card has an absolute shot at a 10 today.

There are two 1971 PSA 10s on eBay right now. One was graded in 2010 and the other in 2015. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 1971 PSA 10 graded in the lighthouse era.

edited August 21, 2021 12:04PM

I just checked the PSA Auction Results tool. For 1971 cards number 1-100, there are six sales of PSA 10s recorded. Every one of them took place between 2004 and 2012.

For cards numbers 101-200, there are ten sales. Nine of them took place 2012 and earlier. One of them took place in 2020, but the card was graded before 2008.

I can look at the whole set, but I don’t think this is a coincidence. I would guess over 90% of the existing 1971 PSA 10s were graded 2012 and earlier.

Very nice 1971. PSA grades these so tough. Looks like a 9 to me; and super clean as a whistle. Good luck with the grade.

@sjjs28 said:
    Love 1971's .... always will!
    Good Luck with the submission and the 10 hopeful expectation.

BTW - where did such a gem-of-a-card come from?

This particular one I won in a Greg Morris Auction!

@balco758 said:
    Wow beauty. Even a 9 would be great. !

Small fish eye oval above the T in PITCHERS? Or that the scan?

There is the ever slightest fish eye on the card; since there have been Gem 10’s with fish eyes before, I’m hoping this will fall under “virtually flawless” Lol

Thanks for all the support! 😊

• love the gilliam. absolutely gorgeous card. I am going to play devil's advocate as to why you're nuts paying $200 to grade it. there are graders at PSA now who will give it a 4 or 5 and call the upper left border parallel with the J in Jim a crease. I just hope you get a grader with a pulse!! good luck

@beachbumcollecting said:
    love the gilliam. absolutely gorgeous card. I am going to play devil's advocate as to why you're nuts paying $200 to grade it. there are graders at PSA now who will give it a 4 or 5 and call the upper left border parallel with the J in Jim a crease. I just hope you get a grader with a pulse!! good luck

I’m not seeing what you’re seeing but I appreciate being on the other side; as far as graders go I give them the benefit of the doubt; all my subs I feel like the cards for the grade they deserved. I learned A LOT when I got my 37-card 1971’s back. A great learning experience for me, and I’ve really tightened the screws, so to speak, on what I buy now. I have faith the graders will do good!
    As far as being crazy subbing at $200, well, there’s only 2 PSA 9’s of Gilliam. One of them sold in may for $15,600. I’ll spend a couple hundred for a shot at 5 figures. I’d even be happy with an 8, but really hoping for a 9. I’m planning on selling when it comes back, and I’m hoping the grade will be high enough that a ‘55 collector could upgrade the Gilliam in their set. I’d be even more thrilled that a lowly ol’ collector like me could contribute to that 😊

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    As far as being crazy subbing at $200, well, there’s only 2 PSA 9’s of Gilliam. One of them sold in may for $15,600. I’ll spend a couple hundred for a shot at 5 figures. I’d even be happy with an 8, but really hoping for a 9. I’m planning on selling when it comes back, and I’m hoping the grade will be high enough that a ‘55 collector could upgrade the Gilliam in their set. I’d be even more thrilled that a lowly ol’ collector like me could contribute to that 😊

We understand the above but most of us are just waiting until the rates go back to normal and you can pay 30 bucks to get it graded. Either way nice job on the Willis Reed 9.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@Cakes said:

@Rofles said:

We understand the above but most of us are just waiting until the rates go back to normal and you can pay 30 bucks to get it graded. Either way nice job on the Willis Reed 9.

Well, good thing I’m not like most people.

Forgive me but, your comment sounds VERY passive-aggressive. If it’s not I apologize then.

I started this thread because I just wanted to share some hobby positivity with all that’s going on in the hobby nowadays. I’m not a big time collector, but I still thought it would be fun to share the cards I’m subbing/collecting for my collections (1970 topps Tallboy basketball; 1971 topps PSA 8 or better[my primary focus]; 1976 topps; 1981 topps) . Anyone is welcome to post what they think; I love a good conversation! I feel as if You are flat-out talking down to me like I’m an idiot for subbing at these prices. When you say “We understand the above/Most of us,” who are you speaking for? The hobby? The people here on these boards?

Either way thanks for taking the wind out of my sail.

• @Rofles said:

@beachbumcollecting said:
    love the gilliam. absolutely gorgeous card. I am going to play devil's advocate as to why you're nuts paying $200 to grade it. there are graders at PSA now who will give it a 4 or 5 and call the upper left border parallel with the J in Jim a crease. I just hope you get a grader with a pulse!! good luck

I’m not seeing what you’re seeing but I appreciate being on the other side; as far as graders go I give them the benefit of the doubt; all my subs I feel like the cards for the grade they deserved. I learned A LOT when I got my 37-card 1971’s back. A great learning experience for me, and I’ve really tightened the screws, so to speak, on what I buy now. I have faith the graders will do good!

unlike you , I have lost faith in the graders. I have seen such madness like 3 grade drops on crack outs(PSA to PSA) on cards that are high end. In the spring I had a a group of 55 bowmans that were sgc 8's and even a 9 and a bunch came back 5s and 6s. Just way too much , if you get the wrong grader ....... or mass discrepancy what each grader focuses on. and now with the whole , we don't want crackouts I wouldn't be risking a card like that to be destined to a 6 holder for life :( I used to think I knew what I was doing and learned something from the close to 10K primarily pre-1980 cards I have submitted but at the moment I have no clue

all that said I really hope you get the right grader and pop a big upcharge :)

@beachbumcollecting
    Ahhh I see! I was looking for what you were saying earlier and couldn’t spot it! Hoping that’s not a spider wrinkle myself! Ty for clarifying! Hoping I a get a big upcharge too! 😁

@Rofles said:

@Cakes said:

@Rofles said:

Well, good thing I’m not like most people.

Forgive me but, your comment sounds VERY passive-aggressive. If it’s not I apologize then.

I started this thread because I just wanted to share some hobby positivity with all that’s going on in the hobby nowadays. I’m not a big time collector, but I still thought it would be fun to share the cards I’m subbing/collecting for my collections (1970 topps Tallboy basketball; 1971 topps PSA 8 or better[my primary focus]; 1976 topps; 1981 topps) . Anyone is welcome to post what they think; I love a good conversation! I feel as if You are flat-out talking down to me like I’m an idiot for subbing at these prices. When you say “We understand the above/Most of us,” who are you speaking for? The hobby? The people here on these boards?

Either way thanks for taking the wind out of my sail.

Damn, sorry Rofles, that was not my intent. I like seeing your subs it just seemed like a really expensive route to take.

No need to apologize, I am glad you expressed how my post made you feel, it will make me take a closer look at how I respond to posts before shooting off my mouth.

Good luck on your subs, I hope you have a lot of 9's and 10's in the future!

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@Cakes
    My apologies to you as well; I should not have responded when I was upset. collecting is my one escape; and almost everyone that knows I collect tells me I’m an idiot for wasting my money on cards. So, I’m sorry For the tone in my reply.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:

@Mickey71 said:

The Gilliam is my first $200 sub. The Reggie and the Willis Reed were $300 subs! Thought the first 2 had a shot at a 10; I’m REALLY hoping I get a 10 (I mean, who doesn’t want a 10 on a sub? Lol), on the Gilliam; but of course would be absolutely thrilled with a 9 too, even an 8.5 would be stellar!

Here’s my next Subbed card going out Monday Super-express; this I feel has an absolute shot at a 10:

insanely MINT

good luck rofles! this is no different than coughing up $10k for a nosebleed super bowl ticket vs watching it for free on tv. i love your subs. its refreshing to see others pony up. theres subbing thats economical and then theres subbing for the fast return & thrill of it. with the emphasis on “the thrill of it”. one mans pleasure. high risk, high reward. hoping the juice is worth the squeeze as it only takes 1, so enjoy your super bowl. i hope its a great game!

@blurryface said:
    good luck rofles! this is no different than coughing up $10k for a nosebleed super bowl ticket vs watching it for free on tv. i love your subs. its refreshing to see others pony up. theres subbing thats economical and then theres subbing for the fast return & thrill of it. with the emphasis on “the thrill of it”. one mans pleasure. high risk, high reward. hoping the juice is worth the squeeze as it only takes 1, so enjoy your super bowl. i hope its a great game!

Wow thanks Blurry! Means a lot! I absolutely LOVE the thrill of subbing, especially cards of significant players! Juice is definitely worth the squeeze (girl next door reference?) regardless of the Gilliam Grade, it’s been an absolute BLAST anticipating the grade! I enjoy seeing your subs as well!

edited August 26, 2021 12:21PM

@Rofles said:

@blurryface said:

(girl next door reference?)

exactly. pretty much the same concept here w using the library. 😉

All packed up and ready to go! Express level, overnighting;

edited September 7, 2021 9:33AM

Best of luck! On the Strikeout Leaders card, what’s going on in the image on the final E of “League” that looks kind of like a staple?

@PaulMaul said:
    Best of luck! On the Strikeout Leaders card, what’s going on in the image on the final E of “League” that looks kind of like a staple?

It’s the slightest of smudges lol. Hoping that it won’t detract too much from the grade!

Love the Hank, it should be a homerun!

@Cakes said:
    Love the Hank, it should be a homerun!

Thanks!! I sure hope it is! 😂

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2021 2:45PM

I would really like to see scans of the graded cards if you don't mind.

Or, have you shown them off in another thread?

Totally understand if you don't want to do it. Good luck with your submissions!

I think I’m gonna send in some ‘71s for my next express!

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

So which are still at PSA and which got N1'ed?

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 9:08AM

Wow! Great cards!

I'm sure you are very proud, as you should be!