Home U.S. Coin Forum

Latest pcgs holder. What do you think

I dislike the newest pcgs holder. Those inserts take away from the coin, especially the smaller coins like the dime and penny. Doesn’t bothered me too much on the half dollar as it is a big coin. Wish they would bring back the holder where you can see the whole coin 100% impeded. I always disliked the NGC holder even more as it is like a coin coffin.

Comments

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep yours raw

• robbylu52robbylu52 Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Would like to start a petition to PCGS to bring back the previous holder

Why raw?

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the whole I think they are all fine. It’s a trade off of sorts. With the older design people complained about not seeing the edge. Now it’s the prongs. Ultimately the only answer is to either have it raw or invent some kind of perfectly transparent gasket material that works as well as what they use now.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robbylu52 said:
    I dislike the newest pcgs holder. Those inserts take away from the coin, especially the smaller coins like the dime and penny. Doesn’t bothered me too much on the half dollar as it is a big coin. Wish they would bring back the holder where you can see the whole coin 100% impeded. I always disliked the NGC holder even more as it is like a coin coffin.

How about the (even smaller) smaller coins, like Half Dimes, Three Cent Silvers and gold dollars?

Presumably, you meant “unimpeded”, not “impeded”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2021 1:34PM

@robbylu52 said:

If you mean the prongs, there are holders without prongs.

Yes I meant prongs and I was perfectly happy with the older PCGS holder as it showed off the whole coin. I try to buy coins with the older holder with an exception for half dollars.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2021 1:15PM

If they bother you my suggestion would be avoid coins in those holders.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robbylu52 said:
    Why raw?

So you can see all sides

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2021 2:11PM

Old and new holder, with half dime. (Heritage Auctions photos)

The old holder tended to obscure the rim area.
    The new holder only partly obscures about half of it.
    This is an improvement in terms of being able to see rim cuds and rim damage.

Plus you can see the edge, which is helpful for bust half dollars and bust dollars.
    https://www.pcgs.com/holders

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy what you like.... You will not be happy with items that bother you... it gets worse, the longer you look at it. Cheers, RickO

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

actually as far as generations are concerned, prongs have been around for years.

those edge inscriptions are visible for a good bit

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's always a tradeoff.....

Some people who collect truly expensive coins have never seen or felt the rim of a mint-state early federal issue.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did not notice...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Maybe they should produce a holder that’s more translucent so it will satisfy those collectors who want to see the rim Should be doable with today’s technology. No reason why not. I always thought PCGS would not grade a coin high mint state if there was any rim damage that would affect the coin in any significant way and would label the coin as having rim damage

For that matter why buy NGC at all as you can’t see any rim at all as the coin is buried in a coffin. I thought that was part of the reason it is hard to cross NGC to PCGS

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

Old and new holder, with half dime. (Heritage Auctions photos)

The old holder tended to obscure the rim area.
    The new holder only partly obscures about half of it.
    This is an improvement in terms of being able to see rim cuds and rim damage.

Plus you can see the edge, which is helpful for bust half dollars and bust dollars.

i'm also pretty sure someone has posted the prong holders with less impeding prongs. they are impressively minimal.

nice comp

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robbylu52 said:
    For that matter why buy NGC at all as you can’t see any rim at all as the coin is buried in a coffin. I thought that was part of the reason it is hard to cross NGC to PCGS

You are an interesting fellow.
    On the upside, I do enjoy reading your posts.

peacockcoins

Thank you. I try to post things that encourage meaningful debate sometimes

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can please some of the people some of the time and....................................

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it make sense for PCGS to avoid using the newer slab only for the tiny coins?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

I wish PCGS was use the previous to the prong holder and only for special requests from collectors would they put it into. prong holder if the 3rd side was special in some way

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭

I think that PCGS could alter the older holder to reveal a small portion of the edge, kind of like cutting a piece out of the insert to reveal the edge. The rest of the insert could be up to the edge of the coin.

If I tilt the previous pcgs coin holder at an angle I can see the edge of the coin although not as well the pronged holder, still much better compared to the NGC holder where you see nothing at all

edited April 25, 2021 10:49PM

I’ve gotten used to the prongs.

I like them a lot better for holding the slab in hand. This is noticeable on the smaller coins like quarter size. On larger coins, like dollar size, the benefit of the prongs isn’t as evident for me.

The main advantage of the ring holders is taking photos in the slab but I’m okay with TrueViews and the prongs don’t look that bad in photos when they are cropped.

I understand I just love the completely unobstructed view of the older holder

edited April 25, 2021 10:58PM

@robbylu52 said:
    I understand I just love the completely unobstructed view of the older holder

My understanding and experience is that the older holder completely obstructed the view of the edge.

I like the prong holders a lot better than the previous ringed gaskets.

The all clear gaskets on the rattlers is nice. ANACS has similar gaskets now. I was never a big fan of the immediately previous gaskets with the translucent rings as they lacked the visual appeal of the all clear gasket for the rattlers.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still far better than the NGC holder, which is horrible and perplexes me why they stick with those awful white prongs.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2021 8:03AM

There was an experimental gasket someone posted here a few years back. It was a rather strange looking group of 3 or 4 circles that compressed like springs to hold the coin in place. Less obtrusive, but a bit weird looking. Not sure how effective it was.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file