Home Sports Talk
Options

Could DeGrom ever surpass Seaver in Mets history?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would DeGrom have to do from here on out to surpass Seaver as a Met? He has Had a great career so far, but had a late start. almost 26. He does, however, appear to be getting better as he ages. would another 5 seasons similar to this one do it?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

It will be pretty hard for him to compete at the level he is now for 5 more years but good luck to him along the way.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two chances, slim and none.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    What would DeGrom have to do from here on out to surpass Seaver as a Met? He has Had a great career so far, but had a late start. almost 26. He does, however, appear to be getting better as he ages. would another 5 seasons similar to this one do it?

What do you mean 5 seasons similar to this one? Its April, the first month of the season.
    Do you mean if he gets 2 wins for the next 5 years? No, that wouldn't be enough to pass Seaver.
    A little early in the season to be saying DeGrom has had a great year. Let's at least wait until the first month is over.

• Options

No, you are right, DeGrom has had nothing more than a good month. I meant if he were to keep up a pace somewhat similar to the one he is on now.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2021 9:05AM

Seaver:
    198 124 .615 2.57 401 395 5 171 44 1 3045.2 2431 953 870 212 847 70 2541 52 7 81 12191 136 2.67 1.076 7.2 0.6 2.5 7.5 3.00

DeGrom:

72 52 .581 2.55 187 187 0 4 2 0 1198.2 954 375 340 104 287 13 1409 20 0 26 4755 153 2.71 1.035 7.2 0.8 2

• Options

holy cow, that didnt format right at all. those are their career mets stats.

as expected, some of Degroms rate stats are better, but Seaver pitched nearly 3X as much.

Jacob will have to have a Randy Johnson like decade of his 30's to surpass Seaver.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if DeGrom has a stellar 5 year run, he's going to pitch a LOT less innings.

If he wins 5 Cy Young's in the next 5 years, maybe.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Even if DeGrom has a stellar 5 year run, he's going to pitch a LOT less innings.

If he wins 5 Cy Young's in the next 5 years, maybe.

And at least 250 wins.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Possible but not probable.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

I predict De Grom is going to have a tough day against he Red Sox on Wednesday.

• Options

I sure hope so!!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I predict De Grom is going to have a tough day against he Red Sox on Wednesday.

Just a regular day for Jake - pitches great, no win.

He’d look GREAT in pinstripes.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

...and if he had pitched for the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers, he’d have been a decent bet to get 300 wins.

Guys that look that effortless throwing that hard are incredibly rare and he’s cerebral as well; I think he’ll pitch a while longer.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

He had a great day against the Red Sox but just not good enough early on to outlast gutsy Red Sox pitching. The Sox pitching was up to the task including 2 innings from rule 5 ( pickup from the hated yankees ) that led to closer Barnes shouting the door for the 2nd night in a row.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

Degrom's last 524 innings pitched he has a 199 ERA+

For their peak's, Seaver's peak, which includes all the years between his first and last Cy Young wins, he has 1,918 IP with a 146 ERA+.

I would say your initial question, "would another 5 years do it?" The answer would be YES if his ERA plus stays in that 190+ territory. That would be about another 1,000 innings, so 1,500 innings at a 190 ERA+ would be better than Seaver's peak of 146 ERA+.

Seaver's Met totals are 3,045 IP and a 136 ERA+
    Degrom's Met totals are 1,204 IP and a 154 ERA+

Five more years at his current rate of his last three years, Degrom will pass Seaver as a Met. That would assume another Cy Young or two or three if he is pitching at this rate for five more years.

That is an awfully lot to ask though. I personally don't think he will keep this rate for five more years. Peaks are called peaks for a reason....

In the end, Seaver will retain his title.

• Options

Don't forget de From was a shortstop in college so does not have the distractive wear and on his arm that most pitchers do at his age. That could be a major factor in this.

• Options

I did not know he was a SS prior to turning pro. was he drafted as a SS?

• Options

I am not sure about that but he was a SS in college for sure and I believe he changed to pitching when he became a pro.

• Options

@craig44 said:

Yes. Not good enough to hit in the majors so learned to pitch.

Rick Ankiel in reverse.

• Options

I guess that would explain his late start. he had to learn to pitch as a professional, not an amature

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 10:11AM

DeGrom may statistically (non-win) be the best pitcher in the sport the last 5 years however regardless of how may Cy Young awards he wins going 10-9 or 11-8 I'd rather have a 15-6 pitcher with higher era and less K's

To explain my opinion further:

The goal of team is to WIN games an individual's stats are mutually exclusive. If a pitcher starts say 27 games for my team and "we" win 21 and loose 7, and the individual wins 15 and looses 6, I'll take it.

Not saying any of it is DeGrom's fault but his team only wins approx half the games he starts. It's been the case over multiple seasons so perhaps he is due a drop of fault?

Tom Seaver on the other hand had great stats and he did WIN a lot more games than he lost not to mention a WS . He also transcended the game. DeGrom is an amazing (pun intended) pitcher but unless he leads then to a WS victory he will never be Seaver level in NY

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@craig44 said:

Yes. Not good enough to hit in the majors so learned to pitch.

Rick Ankiel in reverse.

Believe it or not, he’s actually leading the Mets in batting average right now

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    DeGrom may statistically (non-win) be the best pitcher in the sport the last 5 years however regardless of how may Cy Young awards he wins going 10-9 or 11-8 I'd rather have a 15-6 pitcher with higher era and less K's

The goal of team is to WIN games an individual's stats are mutually exclusive. If a pitcher starts say 27 games for my team and "we" win 21 and loose 7, and the individual wins 15 and looses 6, I'll take it.

Not saying any of it is DeGrom's fault but his team only wins approx half the games he starts. It's been the case over multiple seasons so perhaps he is due a drop of fault?

Tom Seaver on the other hand had great stats and he did WIN a lot more games than he lost not to mention a WS . He also transcended the game. DeGrom is an amazing (pun intended) pitcher but unless he leads then to a WS victory he will never be Seaver level in NY

Agree completely with bolded.

But to answer your question about assigning blame to Jacob deGrom for the lack of wins, I guess I can concede that a drop of fault belongs to Jacob deGrom if you will concede that the rest of the team is the rest of the ocean.

I am in NY (Yankees fan) and catch most of his starts because he is simply amazing to watch.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

test to see if comment appears.

But to answer your question about assigning blame to Jacob deGrom for the lack of wins, I guess I can concede that a drop of fault belongs to Jacob deGrom if you will concede that the rest of the team is the rest of the ocean.

I am in NY (Yankees fan) and catch most of his starts because he is simply amazing to watch.

Agreed.

While I rarely compare era's in sports here is something to think about;

If DeGrom had the same stats during Seaver's time frame, Jacob DeGrom would have Zero Cy Young awards. Conversely, transplanting Tom Seaver's stats into Current era (DeGrom's) would still do very nicely.

Modern metrics have been good to players like DeGrom!

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I guess that would explain his late start. he had to learn to pitch as a professional, not an amature

And that explains why his arm could last longer. but he has a long way to go and things happen along the way.

• Options

test to see if comment appears.

Agreed.

While I rarely compare era's in sports here is something to think about;

If DeGrom had the same stats during Seaver's time frame, Jacob DeGrom would have Zero Cy Young awards. Conversely, transplanting Tom Seaver's stats into Current era (DeGrom's) would still do very nicely.

Modern metrics have been good to players like DeGrom!

In Seavers time, and in fact most of baseball history, Pitcher wins were probably the most important factor in a pitcher winning a CY Young award. we understand now that wins are a team statistic and are a very poor metric when it comes to individual statistics.

look at 1990 for instance. Clemens was CLEARLY the best pitcher in the league and Bob Welch won the award because "He" won 27 games. every other statistic was in favor of Clemens, except run support.